Replies

• acabanil37
    acabanil37 Posts: 7
    Options
    I am a coupon clipper myself.

www.coupons.com
    www.redplum.com

I also use the site www.fiddledeedeemom.com

Depending on where you live and what grocery stores are in your area, this site does all the price matching for you based on the weekly sale ads. All the work is done for you so all you have to do is click and save. It's amazing really.
    For instance, it will show you the "buy one get one free" sales and find coupons for you to use with those sales. Last week I actually got paid to purchase a couple different items on my shopping list. This site is worth checking out! And no, I don't work for them :wink:

Happy shopping!!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I pay $4.09 for a 2 litre of milk. Everything here is expensive but the thing I find this best is can tuna in water inexpensive and is really good for ya. I shop around, I fiqure that not only I save money im burning calories by running around as well. Good luck!
  • joany
    joany Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This will help too!

Almost Hamburger Helper in a Jar

2 cups nonfat dry milk
    1 cup corn starch
    1/4 cup beef bouillon powder
    2 tablespoons onion flakes
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons dried parsley
    1 tablespoon garlic powder
    Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight jar.
    Attach the following recipes to the jar:

Chili Mac:
    1 lb ground beef, browned and drained
    1 c water
    1/2 c macaroni noodles (uncooked)
    2 cans chopped tomatoes
    1 T chili powder
    1/2 cup mix
    Combine all and simmer 20 minutes or until macaroni is cooked.

Stroganoff:
    2 c water
    1/2 c mix
    2 c uncooked egg noodles
    1/2 cup sour cream
    Combine all except sour cream. Simmer 20 minutes or until noodles
    are tender. Stir in sour cream and serve.

Potato Beef Casserole:
    3/4 c water
    6 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
    1 c frozen mixed veggies
    1/2 cup mix
    Combine all and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30
    minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove cover and cook until excess
    water is evaporated.

Quick Lasagna:
    1/2 cup mix
    1 onion, chopped
    2 cup water
    16 oz tomato sauce
    3 cup lasagna noodles, uncooked, broken in bits
    1/4 cup parmesan cheese
    2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
    Combine all except mozzarella in large skillet. Bring to a boil, let
    simmer for 15 minutes or until noodles are cooked. Top with
    mozzarella. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.

all recipes serve 4
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    A few people have mentioned coupons. www.couponmom.com is another good one. Also, use your store ads. Stock up when something is on sale. This week, boneless skinless breasts are on sale at my store, so I'll buy 3 packages. I'll use one this week and will have the others on hand in the freezer. Same goes for pork and beef. It's a great time of year to buy fresh produce at farmers markets. You might also want to see if any local farms do seasonal boxes. We are doing that this year, for $20 a week, we get a huge box of produce, whatever's good for the picking. I had a friend who did it last year, and he said they ended up throwing some out, because they couldn't eat it fast enough, before the next box came the following week. I told my hubby that if that happened to us, I was gonna be freezing it all!

Remember, it can be done... I feed a family of 6 on about $400 a month. $500 if you include the specialty foods I have to get due to my allergies. Most people don't have that issue though. I could probably shave off another $100 if needed (although the teenaged boys in the house wouldn't like their food choices then!)
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Quinoa isn't too expensive and a little goes a long way because it's very filling. This grain is very versatile you can use it instead of oatmeal, any grain, or rice and couscous. You can add this to meatloaf, soups, mix with beans or vegi's, make it into a cereal, or even a pudding.
    http://www.nutricity.com/n/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3764&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The cheapest food is going to be the real food. Boneless skinless chicken breasts (tenderloins are usually cheaper - they're just cut into strips), fresh fruits & veggies, lean ground beef is usually super cheap and you can get a ton of good meals out of that (fajitas, spaghetti & meatballs, meat loaf, hamburgers), tuna, off brand pasta, eggs, frozen fish (tilapia is usually about $8 for a big bag with about 14 so you could get a few meals out of those and tilapia is SO easy to season and make however you want - there are a ton of recipes in the recipes thread).

Shop generics as much as possible... but make sure you check the labels. Sometimes the generics have crappy ingredients that the name brand doesn't. I stopped eating Fit&Active stuff because of the high fructose corn syrup in the fiber bars. I can't name one thing that I usually buy name brand... if you have a Kroger near you, definitely get their rewards card because you rack up points when you buy things on sale or just kroger brand and if you get up to 100 points (which, with a family of 4, you probably can in 1 or 2 shopping trips), you'll get 10c/gallon off at the Kroger gas pump!! This is the main reason I shop at Kroger.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    The best money saver? Measuring your food. I'm always amazed how a small bag of shredded cheese can last a week and a half, when before, the HUGE bag lasted less than a week!! Measuring out the food and eating proper portions is a HUGE money saver!

+1. I have started to plan the size of the meal for only what is needed rather than cooking lots of food in case people are extra hungry. No excess calories eaten and no left overs that will probably be thrown away. Deciding on how much to eat and measuring it out before cooking the meal is a big winner in this household. Also with healthy eating we have stopped buying all the nutritionally worthless junk like soda, chips, etc., and cut way back on ice cream. Those things are not really that cheap so not only were they empty calories, they were wallet emptiers as well.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Bump