Can I lose weight just by walking.

Options

Replies

• witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I just did a 5 mile walk tonight and burnt off 500 calories! Walking is fabulous :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been ill for like 5 months, getting dizzy and sick when do anything strenuous and start to fill rough. Nearly always get lightheaded most of the day. Been doctors everything is fine just trying to change some tablets I'm on and see if that works.
    Anyway can I lose weight just by walking....is it possible. Till I get myself sorted out.
    Normally when I try lifestyle changes I hit the gym ,play football and stuff.

You can lose weight by just walking providing your calorie intake is at a deficit.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I take him out walks anyway, I just need to stop eating crap soon.

You need to stop eating crap NOW!
  • Kerrio247
    Options
    Yes! I've been mostly walking, and I have a HRM. I burn about 300 calories an hour with walking. If you're eating healthfully, and drinking a lot of water, then walking can help. It's all calories in, calories out. :)
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    youre certainly lapping everyone on the couch just by walking.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight just by eating right. But the walking will help. Bodies are made in the kitchen and they say you can't outtrain a bad diet. I am a great example of that.

If your doctor says it is okay to walk then I would walk.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know a lot of people who lost weight by walking as their only form of exercise, however they did eat healthy and they ate right. They also were very heavy to start with and they eventually turned to other exercises.
  • rmchapman4
    rmchapman4 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Do you have allergies?
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    YES
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I did. Started off a year ago doing about 3 miles in an hour (sad, I know.) Managed to increase it to 4miles in an hour and kept at it every day til spring when I stretched it out to nice long walks, 7-8 miles in 2 hours with lots of elevation change (hiking trails.)

I haven't ever not walked. I think about jogging, then Im like NAAAaaaahhhh.

A good caloric intake and pushing yourself when you can either by distance or pace, will yield you results.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ! I watch my calorie intake and WALK. I walk everyday, 6 to 10 miles per day. Before work (walk extra 3 stops to the subway station and 30 extra min just before work, instead of lunch, getting 3 stops earlier to walk home, walking my dog...). It cost no money , you need no equipment , great stress reliever!
    Good luck! I think that it makes no difference what you do, as long as you stick with it. We should not look for excuses NOT to do. It is very easy to find them (that's why we have this problems with extra weight , poor health , etc.)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Anyway can I lose weight just by walking....is it possible. Till I get myself sorted out.
    Normally when I try lifestyle changes I hit the gym ,play football and stuff.

I did. About 70 pounds of my losses are attributed to walking. :) All the best@restart.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do any exercise to lose weight. A calorie deficit is baked into the calorie goal MFP gives you. I lost almost 15 Lbs before I ever lifted a finger in exercise just by eating to my MFP goal calories to lose 1 Lb per week. Don't get me wrong, exercise is good, but it's not necessary for weight loss...and you don't have to be doing...and shouldn't be doing hours and hours of cardio, etc...way to many people over do it with their training because they think they need to in order to lose weight...in the end, they end up sabotaging themselves because they don't fuel that much activity.

Exercise for fitness; use your diet for weight control
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds and the only exercise I did was walking. I'd do anywhere from two to four miles a day. I'd push myself to walk as fast as I could.

But calorie deficit is really key for losing weight....
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sounds like exercise induced asthma (no I'm not a doctor, just guessing).

Anyway no you can't lose weight with just any form of exercise. But you can lose weight by exercising and being in a calorie deficit. In fact you can lose weight without exercising at all, but the times I have it made me feel awful!
  • dargriff60
    dargriff60 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories in and calories burned, any exercise that burns calories can reduce weight as long as you eat less that you use daily. This site is great, you must be accurate and honest when you enter food and exercise, but just walking a dog is burning calories. So hang in there. Make sure you have have your sugar numbers checked. I got like you, found out I was severely Hypoglycemic, very low sugar! Fainted a lot! Now I know how to manage the intake of food and know that if I exercise the numbers will fall, so get a quick bite after a workout.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just started to run about 2 months ago. Up until then, I only walked during 90% of my weight loss.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I lost the first 40 pounds.
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I take him out walks anyway, I just need to stop eating crap soon.

You need to stop eating crap NOW!

Yep! Now or never, friend! We are all supportive of you!
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You sure can! Eat clean and walk mean - that's what I've been doing since Nov last year and I've lost 10 kgs ALREADY!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!! *\o/* *\o/*