is 135 at 5'9" a reasonable goal

Options
I recently hired a personal trainer and after taking my measurements and everything she told me my goal should be 135 lbs. Currently I'm a 160. To me that seems low for my height but just curious if that sounds reasonable.

Replies

• onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Shrug. It seems a bit low to me too but maybe that's based on your frame? I'm 5'8" and for me, 135 would be a bit low. I wouldn't be able to maintain my weight healthily at that size (I've tried, it didn't go well). But maybe you can? Who knows. Have you been that weight before at this height? How did you feel?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It depends.. for a male that seems low.

On a 5'9 female like me, it's fine on some... and a low on others.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That seems low, my husband is 5'4" and weighs that. It is a really healthy weight for him, no fat and lots of muscle.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Only you can determine the weight you feel your best at. That seem too low to me.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 5"9 and weighs 130 and looks great not too thin . I think its reasonable
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If u feel healthy and great at that weight and are satisfied with yourself than there shoudnt b a problem! Do what u feel is right for u
  • ridofthegoodies
    ridofthegoodies Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    if you don't want to have any muscles ...
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    That seems low for a man. I'm 5'7" and 130 and I'm a female and quite slim in build. How about keeping your current weight or only dropping a little bit, but changing your body composition to more lean mass, less body fat % instead?
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds too low, but that's just me. 130 is my goal for 5'2. I was thin at 140 back a few years ago. I've always carried my weight well though.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a woman, four inches shorter and I'm quite slim at 135.

My ex boyfriend was about 135 at 5'7 and he was quite scrawny. Almost sickly-thin.

Are you sure she didn't mean your LEAN mass was 135?
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    well I used to think the numbers they give us based on our height was crazy until I learned that muscles weights more then fat, but is smaller then fat. I don't think that sounds nuts at all.
  • kristiezen
    Options
    I'm shooting for 140ish and I'm 5"7. I have a medium frame. Like the others say, I guess it all depends on how "you" feel in "your" body. :)
  • rbalboni
    Options
    I think it is reasonable. I am 6'0" and have been as low as 139 with 142 being just about perfect.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    For a man? That seems awfully skinny. Both my husband and I are 5'9. He's about 170 right now, 12% body fat. I'm 160 and 22% body fat.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    According to the CDC/WHO, your trainer wants you at a BMI that would put you in the 6th percentile (underweight). Your current weight is in the normal range for a man. Just add weight training to improve your body composition. Did your trainer accidentally calculate your goal for a woman? :huh:
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    That seems low for a guy. My ex was that. He was always trying to gain weight and he was not large framed by any means.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    LOL at all the women posting that this goal weight seems fine because they don't realize OP is a dude! :laugh:
  • jonauk007
    Options
    In another thread you said you're looking to get back to your twenties weight of 135, so did you personal trainer say you should aim to get to your twenties weight or did you tell her that you want to get to your twenties weight?

135 is far too low. Forget about your weight, your main decision is if you want to lose body fat or put on muscle. You shouldn't pay to see this personal trainer again because she's a moron.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 female who weighs 135 lbs., so . . . that seems bizarre to me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and lowest adult weight was 157lb and I felt skinny and weak at that weight.
    Couldn't imagine being 135.