What are the benefits of Gluten Free?

Options

Replies

• babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Going gluten-free otherwise is, as you said, a fad diet. And I seriously roll my eyes at anyone who does it just for funsies or because they read a random article, saw a documentary or other propaganda.

Yes. this exactly.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would disagree that it isn't a fad, by definition. But thank you for your post. I don't know much about gluten, or Celiac Disease, so I wanted to better understand. Definitely not trying to knock GF, just really curious, and uninformed.

Is gluten just in wheat, or is it in other products?

If you're forced to eat a certain way because your body doesn't digest wheat, how is that a fad? it's no different from taking medicine to treat an illness - it's what you have to do to stay healthy. For people with Celiac it's not a choice. Fads are - by definition - not necessary to your health.

Gluten is found in a number of grains:

Barley, including barley malt
    Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

and in anything with wheat, wheat flour, white flour, etc as an ingredient. tons of processed foods also include it.

Oh please, I know SO many people that jump on the GF train without seeing a doctor, conducting tests, seeing a nutritionist, etc. They just decide one day that going GF will change their life and make their body some high powered machine. Then when that doesn't work, they keep experimenting (e.g. going dairy free, cutting out meat, cutting our fruit, etc). Messing with your body without guidance is incredibly irresponsible and could lead to further intolerances and digestive issues. Also, going GF pretty prevalent in EDs now because it's a way to restrict the diet and avoid carbohydrates under the rouse of being GF. To say that it is helpful to many people is correct, but to say it isn't a fad is a total falsehood.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    the argument - which i don't necessarily disagree with - is that we're ALL sensitive to gluten to a certain degree. just because you don't get the horrible symptoms of celiac doesn't mean you're digesting it properly ya know? It's a gradient. And some people don't realize it's been affecting them until they experience life without it.

maybe that crosses into the fad territory, but that doesn't mean I'd roll my eyes at someone trying to improve their quality of life with a diet that has no drawbacks besides its difficulty to adhere to.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Oh please, I know SO many people that jump on the GF train without seeing a doctor, conducting tests, seeing a nutritionist, etc. They just decide one day that going GF will change their life and make their body some high powered machine. Then when that doesn't work, they keep experimenting (e.g. going dairy free, cutting out meat, cutting our fruit, etc). Messing with your body without guidance is incredibly irresponsible and could lead to further intolerances and digestive issues. Also, going GF pretty prevalent in EDs now because it's a way to restrict the diet and avoid carbohydrates under the rouse of being GF. To say that it is helpful to many people is correct, but to say it isn't a fad is a total falsehood.

yeah i don't necessarily see anything wrong with that... reducing or eliminating gluten from your diet won't cause digestive issues...
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I will admit that I roll my eyes at people who go GF who don't have to. Because I have to. If you don't have a medical reason, don't do it. It makes those of us who don't have a choice look like we are jumping on a bandwagon.
  • MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think there are some people who treat it as a fad. Like it's some new lose weight quick scheme. I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, once you eliminate breads and some processed foods, you will lose weight...that's common sense. But then your body adjusts. You find other ways to eat and other alternatives. The reason you think it's a hot topic is just because people are becoming more aware of it. 15 years ago my dad almost died because of the lack of knowledge. Yes, he got the emergency allergy shot at the hospital but they didn't know what caused it. So, what? He was just supposed to stop eating all together?

Now, I can go to Whole Foods and buy chocolate covered gluten free pretzels. I have at least 9 or 10 different types of gluten free flours in my kitchen because I have to find new ways to eat. You know that awesome tasting gravy you can put on mashed potatoes? Well sorry...I don't want to have a reaction because in order to make it thick, wheat flour was added.

So, I can totally see why you think it just came out of nowhere but trust me...it is no fad. At least not for the people who are genuinely suffering from it.

My sister has celiacs as well and I agree with everything you said! Unfortunately, I know so many people who are GF for weight loss and it really irritates me. I think the OP was just saying that, unless you have an intolerance, why go GF?

Exactly, if you don't HAVE to, please don't! You know what I wouldn't give for some regular chocolate chip cookies or a slice of carrot cake lol This is not a walk in the park!
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

yeah i don't necessarily see anything wrong with that... reducing or eliminating gluten from your diet won't cause digestive issues...

Eliminating anything from your diet for an extended period of time, when you have no prior issues with it, can lead to an intolerance. I grew up drinking milk and dairy products with no issues, then developed a mild intolerance once I stopped consuming dairy.

In my opinion, eliminating anything from the diet when you have no allergic/intolerance or other medical issue, or ethical opposition, is silly. If you can, and want to eat something, then eat it. Messing with your diet constantly (especially without guidance) to try to reach some unattainable level of perfection will just lead to issues in the future.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Eliminating anything from your diet for an extended period of time, when you have no prior issues with it, can lead to an intolerance. I grew up drinking milk and dairy products with no issues, then developed a mild intolerance once I stopped consuming dairy.

In my opinion, eliminating anything from the diet when you have no allergic/intolerance or other medical issue, or ethical opposition, is silly. If you can, and want to eat something, then eat it. Messing with your diet constantly (especially without guidance) to try to reach some unattainable level of perfection will just lead to issues in the future.

you probably developed an intolerance to dairy because you got older. that's how it works. we lose the lactase enzyme as we age.

but regardless, you can also develop intolerance to something you've eaten in large quantities all your life - so it goes both ways.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options
    I will admit that I roll my eyes at people who go GF who don't have to. Because I have to. If you don't have a medical reason, don't do it. It makes those of us who don't have a choice look like we are jumping on a bandwagon.

I know this isn't the same thing, but this is what bothers me about being a vegetarian. I am one primarily for ethical reasons and have been for years, but I'm tired of people jumping on the veg*n bandwagon because they think it will help them lose weight, restrict, or make them supremely healthy. Also, it's damn annoying when those same people eat fish or eat a burger once a year as a "treat". It's why some people act like I'm a pain in the *kitten* because I don't want to eat chicken, fish, and mind it if my soup is made with chicken broth.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I know this isn't the same thing, but this is what bothers me about being a vegetarian. I am one primarily for ethical reasons and have been for years, but I'm tired of people jumping on the veg*n bandwagon because they think it will help them lose weight, restrict, or make them supremely healthy. Also, it's damn annoying when those same people eat fish or eat a burger once a year as a "treat". It's why some people act like I'm a pain in the *kitten* because I don't want to eat chicken, fish, and mind it if my soup is made with chicken broth.

people don't have to live their lives based on the way you live yours. and the way they live their lives has NO reflection on you. It actually has nothing to do with you at all.

If someone wants to become a vegetarian because they want the health benefits, who are you to say that's wrong?
  • MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

lol I roll my eyes too...they get no sympathy from me.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options

people don't have to live their lives based on the way you live yours. and the way they live their lives has NO reflection on you. It actually has nothing to do with you at all.

If someone wants to become a vegetarian because they want the health benefits, who are you to say that's wrong?

Because being a vegetarian is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. And, as I said, many of those same people have a burger as a "treat" or will occasionally eat chicken or fish, and then call themselves a vegetarian. They put a label on something and adapt the lifestyle without adhering to it. Some people abandon the lifestyle if it doesn't give them what they want (e.g. weight loss). That makes things more difficult for people who DO adhere to the lifestyle and take it very seriously; we're viewed as a pain in the *kitten* because we don't have chicken "just this once".
  • vferrarii
    Options
    Gluten is in many more products than just wheat, it can be in salad dressings, all beers, and many other things! Gluten is very contaminating and can be on many foods. Just FYI, Gluten free can be a very expensive diet. There are many (whole) grains that are gluten free that still have fiber and are healthy which include amarah, buckwheat, millet, oats (if not milled in a facility with gluten products), rice, sorghum, teff and wild rice. Gluten free is a very tough diet but manageable. If you don't need to follow it, personally I would not do it! But if you want to try it feel free!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Basically, as awareness of celiacs increased, GF became a band wagon to jump on. I have several friends who go this or that free for a few months here or there in order to try to lose a few extra pounds. It is another way to control what you eat by eliminating something you like from your diet.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Because being a vegetarian is a lifestyle, not a quick fix. And, as I said, many of those same people have a burger as a "treat" or will occasionally eat chicken or fish, and then call themselves a vegetarian. They put a label on something and adapt the lifestyle without adhering to it. Some people abandon the lifestyle if it doesn't give them what they want (e.g. weight loss). That makes things more difficult for people who DO adhere to the lifestyle and take it very seriously; we're viewed as a pain in the *kitten* because we don't have chicken "just this once".

i think this is a massive over-generalization.

for instance - I'm not completely vegetarian, but I eat very little meat. When I'm home I only cook/eat ovo-veg (don't do dairy), so that when I'm out and about, I don't have to worry quite so much about what I'm eating. I personally feel that all of us should cut back on our meat intake for multiple reasons - health/ethics/environment - but just because we don't adhere 100% doesn't mean we're looking for a "quick fix" or that we're tarnishing the vegetarian label, or that we don't understand/agree with the ethical issues at play.

I have the utmost respect for people who are 100% veg/vegan/etc, and for those who have to adhere to strict diets due to health issues. I might be among them, thus my experimenting with GF to deal with my inflammation and reflux issues.

But again, how does it hurt you if I don't completely adhere to a vegetarian diet?
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I would disagree that it isn't a fad, by definition. But thank you for your post. I don't know much about gluten, or Celiac Disease, so I wanted to better understand. Definitely not trying to knock GF, just really curious, and uninformed.

Is gluten just in wheat, or is it in other products?

If you're forced to eat a certain way because your body doesn't digest wheat, how is that a fad? it's no different from taking medicine to treat an illness - it's what you have to do to stay healthy. For people with Celiac it's not a choice. Fads are - by definition - not necessary to your health.

Gluten is found in a number of grains:

Barley, including barley malt
    Bran
    Bulgur
    Farina
    Kamut
    Orzo
    Semolina
    Spelt
    Wheat

and in anything with wheat, wheat flour, white flour, etc as an ingredient. tons of processed foods also include it.

I wanted to lose weight, so it was suggested I give up wheat products and grains. When I asked "why them?" I was told they are the bulk of the problems in today's health world. I asked further and was told "Well, we humans survived before agriculture and wheat was eaten, so we really don't need wheat and our bodies aren't designed to digest it..."

I went off wheat and grains, and dropped 20 lbs in three months. I went into my doc's office and had bloodwork drawn because I wanted to check my cholesterol. Interesting sidebar: my RA factor had been at 23, or in the "danger zone for positive", according to my doctor, prior to going off wheat (and gluten). I had been experiencing all over body aches, muscle pains, skin rashes, moody, PMS, gas, bloating and insomnia. AFTER I went off wheat (remember, I didn't say GF here), my symptoms disappeared in a week. After three months, my cholesterol dropped 40 pts and my RA was back down to 14, a safe range.

I had an undiagnosed auto immune response to something my doctor never identified. She tested me for fibromyalgia, hypothyroidism, lupus and RA. What she didn't test me for was a gluten intolerance. But, the change in my diet cured ALL my symptoms the doctor assumed were of the above. Gluten was the culprit, and I had the evidence to show it.

Please don't tell me that all people who choose GF are doing it as a "fad". I wanted to lose weight, it was suggested I give up WHEAT and all WHEAT products, and as a result, my health improved tremendously. I've been GF for 2 yrs now and I hadn't felt this good in years.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I guess this is how I feel - if you're going gluten free/dairy free/ etc etc for purely weight-loss reasons, then that's silly and I'd absolutely lump it in with fad diets.

If you're doing it to improve your quality of life, no matter the severity of your potential sensitivity, I don't think it's a fad.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My benefits of going gluten-free are not having violent vomiting and diarrhoea strikes, feeling like crap all the time and wanting to die. It's quite relaxing to not have these problems, believe it or not.

Then again, I'm a coeliac.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I hate to even sound like I am attacking but I smell a troll.

I am not GF to lose weight, in fact haven't lost a pound as a result. I am GF because it make me feel like I have been stabbed in my side, I am GF because I have frequent migraines from it, I am GF because My doctor has ordered it. Not because of some fad.

If it is not medically necessary to you, then don't be GF. But don't be a troll on us that are gluten free or celiac. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    My mother was recently tested and found out that she was gluten intolerant. She has struggled with moderate to severe IBS since I was a child. Since going GF she hasn't suffered any IBS episodes, her chronic skin inflammation cleared, and she happened to lose weight in the process. In the last couple years I started developing the same painful, severe IBS symptoms I recognized in her so long ago. I had some lactose intolerance so I eliminated dairy and still struggled with the same symptoms. After she was tested she suggested I might be intolerant also. I stopped eating gluten products and have not had any painful symptoms since then. I have also noticed a lot less joint pain (i have osteoarthritis at 36 yo). I have also successfully reintroduced yogurt with no problems. I only eat whole foods, nothing processed, so I don't find GF that difficult to follow. My regular grains are rice and quinoa. That being said, I'm not celiac so if I decide to have something with gluten or even a product that might be contaminated I can without danger (since its not an allergy), but it does mean I will suffer some very painful consequences.