Ethical dilemma

Options
2»

Replies

• SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    Burn down the whole block as a lesson to anyone else that might want to mess with you and yours. That's how Kaiser Soze would play it. Most def

This is clearly the only option.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i say call the police, they stole something, they should have to pay the price., but then i'm a hot head.

my husband says, if they are willing to return it, and are contrite, let that be the end. (he is much calmer than i am)

to which i say, if we're not calling the police, can we at least call the parents? i mean, they stole something. there should be some sort of punishment.
  • katellanova
    katellanova Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would go with A. The less drama the better.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    At the risk of getting flamed, I'd go with option A. The neighborhood kids didn't actually "steal" anything. Your daughter lost it. Granted, they didn't do the ethical thing by turning it in but it was left behind, not stolen. Hopefully your daughter will learn that she needs to be responsible for her belongings and if she loses something, however valuable, it may be gone forever. Threatening to, or going to the police, is an extreme response and creates unnecessary drama. If they are willing to return the item, I think it would be an indication that they have learned a valuable lesson as well.
  • MattTheWaterRat
    MattTheWaterRat Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you already decided, then it's not really a dilemma.
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At the risk of getting flamed, I'd go with option A. The neighborhood kids didn't actually "steal" anything. Your daughter lost it. Granted, they didn't do the ethical thing by turning it in but it was left behind, not stolen.

Agree
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Parents should know about it. If it was my child that stole something I would be mad if I was not told about it. I would want to be able to handle the situation with her. He made a bad decision and should suffer appropriate consequences. Personally I think people get the cops involved way too much these days. Kids do stupid things. But they shouldn't be condemned for them. I do draw the line at violent or sexual crimes. Either of those and the cops are definitely getting called.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    At the risk of getting flamed, I'd go with option A. The neighborhood kids didn't actually "steal" anything. Your daughter lost it. Granted, they didn't do the ethical thing by turning it in but it was left behind, not stolen. Hopefully your daughter will learn that she needs to be responsible for her belongings and if she loses something, however valuable, it may be gone forever. Threatening to, or going to the police, is an extreme response and creates unnecessary drama. If they are willing to return the item, I think it would be an indication that they have learned a valuable lesson as well.

It is actually theft. They took something that they KNEW wasn't theirs. Sure, the daughter needs to be a bit more careful about where she is leaving things but it wasn't a lost item... it was stolen.

If she lost it, some kid wouldn't have it now. Whoever has it did in fact steal it.

Depending on how old the kid is I would go to the Police. The kid, if older, has most likely done this before. While the kid may end up with a record, it is their own fault for doing something they knew was wrong. We can't try to give the kid a chance... giving them a chance doesn't mean they will thank you and change their behaviour. Involving Police doesn't automatically equal a criminal record. Where I am, youth records are no longer sealed forever so the Police has the option to give the child one warning/caution. Depending on what they did they may not get an actual charge...should they repeat the behaviour they will.
  • squidbully
    squidbully Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    break thr fukkin nekz
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    The trouble with choice A is that if they anonymously turn it in at the office, there will always be a doubt hanging over those homes/kids. In my experience, it will somehow fester and manifest in trouble for your daughter. Kids gossip, etc. Just an intuition.

I'd knock on each of the 3 doors and try talking to the parents and identifying the kid(s). If the parents are mouthy and not embarrassed, I'd tell them next time you will turn their sticky fingered brat in to the police.

So....how'd it turn out for you in reality? Curious!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    making a mistake is adding to much frour to your bread recipie, stealing is no mistake it was a deliberate action, get the cops involved and maby this kid will learn