How do I train myself to do a sit up and push up?

Options
Where do I start I cant get up? I've NEVER been able to do either. Any advice for this inflexible old lady?

Also trying to do a sit up today I can feel that I strained my back. :sad:

Replies

• STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For push ups, I suggest working your way up to a full one. Start with wall push ups, push ups on your knees, etc. until you can do one with standard form.

For sit ups, you should not be pulling your neck forward and straining your spine. I'm pretty sure you can modify these as well by starting with your legs straight on the ground and/or your arms at your side helping to pull you up or something. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this one though. I don't do sit ups enough to give adequate advice.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If there is a rowing machine where you work out use it. It helps to stregnthen the muscles you need to do both exercises. Pay attention to your posture also.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me use stairs. I started up high, working my way over months to the floor.

I also did planks which helped to strenghten a lot of my body. When I finally did the one full push up it was an amazing feeling and I was almost 50!

Now you are making me want to start up again:wink:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me use stairs. I started up high, working my way over months to the floor.

I also did planks which helped to strenghten a lot of my body. When I finally did the one full push up it was an amazing feeling and I was almost 50!

Now you are making me want to start up again:wink:

What are planks?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Don't do situps they are bad for the back and don't work your core well. Do planks instead. As for pushups do them against the wall to start. Then move to something lower like doing them on the second or third stair step.Again, as you build strength move to lower steps until you are down to the floor.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We do our sit ups on an exercise ball. It doesn't strain your back and neck that way.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A plank is basically high push-up position, but with your arms directly below your shoulders. If you stay in the pose for a while with your abs tight and your body straight, it is a great workout. http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/470/
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes on the ceiling when doing crunches.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Skip situps - they are ineffective and not good for your back. Instead, try stabilization exercises like a plank. Basically just get in pushup position on hands and toes with your body in a straight line from your toes to your shoulders and hold for 90 seconds.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Push ups, agree with above... Start on wall, incline, then floor on knees, then toes, do one, work your way up to sets.

Sit ups, I wouldn't bother. There are plenty of ways to strengthen your abs other than sit ups.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Don't do situps they are bad for the back and don't work your core well. Do planks instead. As for pushups do them against the wall to start. Then move to something lower like doing them on the second or third stair step.Again, as you build strength move to lower steps until you are down to the floor.
    they are only bad for the back if you use improper form which is the same for any exercise. plus shouldnt people be able to get up from a lying position not just from exercise? being able to perform functional movements like those are important as people get older..

OP for the situps you can first start off by doing negatives where you start in the up position and slowly control yourself down. keep your core tight, spine in normal position (no rounded upper back, head and neck in neutral position) and slower lower yourself. use your hand on the outside of your legs if you need to. eventually you'll get strong enough to do situps

good luck
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Definitely skip sit ups, start off doing push ups from your knees and work on getting your legs out farther as you get stronger. There are all kinds of versions of planks you can do as you get stronger. Google will give you lots of options. The easiest is just holding yourself at the top of a full push up position.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, start on the wall, then chairs then stairs then floors :D I'm trying to learn how to do push-ups too!
    But don't do sit ups, if you don't have good form you can hurt yourself and it is SO hard to do it right.
    BUT In this Ygoa video, she does a move that she said is a good alternative for sit-ups

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUQxBAzBZbg

This whole video works a lot of core muscles, so I think it'll really help :D
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
  • myyovett
    myyovett Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I'm going to try this!!
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Push ups start with your knees. Sit ups don't bother there are other ways to work abs, mainly on the ball. Also depending on your back and pelvis tilt sit ups can hurt your tailbone. Another reason why I can't do pilates. Get a ball and try various excersizes on that at least it is padded and more for balance. Good luck!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the replies yet, but from my experience I had a real hard time with push ups.. I still do, but I lifted weights (started low lbs and moved up, and that helped me a TON before I even attempted a pushup. I haven't worked out in about 5 months and I just started to again this week and surprisingly I can do about12-15 pushups without stopping.. I was amazed.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    http://www.roadtoepic.com/workouts-for-wimps-your-first-real-pushup/

This link shows 2 different ways to build to a real pushup. Good luck! =)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Push ups... Variations of the push up... push up against a wall, then with varying degrees of elevation like against a supported chair or step... gradually move to horizontal. In addition to that, other exercises do similar things... chest press, bench press, etc. All these things will work the chest and triceps necessary to do a proper push up... Of course, the push up also requires a strong core so working crunches and planks will also help in this.

Sit ups... Others mentioned that sit ups are bad... I do them but on an elevated bench with my legs secured and with my arms crossed in front of my chest so as not to hurt my neck. I also avoid going back too far since that seems to involve my back muscles more. Other core exercises are crunch machines, crunches, torso rotators, leg lifts, and planks... these are things that tend to help the core and that is the usual objective of the standard sit up.

Best wishes on your journey.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Having had recent back surgery, sit. Up are something to definitely work up to doing. My physical therapist recommended ball and. General core exercises and then work to yoga planks with relaxation (child pose) before and after. When you have general core strength, sit up are possible but keep your back in a neutral position, a light towel under your waist and push into it, engage your bad muscles. Look ant the ceiling not your toes as you rise. Do not hold your neck, cover your ears instead. This prevents you from straining your neck and cervical spine. Good luck