discouraged.... cholesterol help....

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dropped to 120! I dont know when he sends you lab let him know that you really need to talk to him. That its discouraging to you to continue with your health and you dont understand how with a drop iin your normal finger sticks why there should be an elevated A1C. The CRP especially has me concerned you havent had any cardiac issues in the past have you?

Has your stress level been unusually high in the last 3 months? This could explain some of the increase. Keep working on the portion control and watching your carbohydrate intake over the day. I would try to have no more than 150g per day of carbohydrates until you can get better answers...

Keep up the hard work though and lots of prayers for you!
  • myyovett
    myyovett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've never been overweight and I eat healthy and exercise quite a bit. My BMI and body fat % are in the low half of the healthy range, and yet I've still struggled with cholesterol. At 31, I had the cholesterol of a middle-aged overweight man. My doctor says I won the genetic lottery.

Topics like this can get controversial on MFP with everyone having all sorts of opinions. I will just tell you how I got mine down 20 points in a month. It's still borderline at 199, but it's way down, and my HDL is very high, which my doctor says makes my total cholesterol look better. I've had all sorts of digestive troubles for years. My doctor put me on an elimination diet and we found out which foods cause me problems with inflammation and pain: red meat, dairy, eggs, gluten. Since cutting those foods out, my cholesterol dropped dramatically within the first month. Adding in more fiber, walnuts, flax and fish oil, I not only got the total down even more, but I got the HDL up. :drinker:

I totally agree LOL... I have crazy digestive issues.. been on Prilosed for 17 years and still have GERD and IBS... :(
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    OMG... it's really that bad... you should have seen it before... :( I haven't had fast food or fried food in over 90 days... this is huge for me.

I used to be obese. My LDL levels were borderline high, triglycerides were high, and HDL levels were a bit low. I lost a bunch of weight and focused on keeping sugar levels down. My LDL levels came down, HDL went WAY up, and triglycerides went WAY down.

I kept sugar down and ate fast food almost every day. I'm not saying that proves anything, but fat is better than sugar. Fat is tasty and filling and not unhealthy. Sugar is tasty but unfilling and can wreak havoc to your system in large quantities.

Eat more fat and more protein. And less sugar. These sugary "lowfat" things? Get rid of them and replace them with the real thing. Throw away those "weight loss shakes" that have 20g of sugar. That's insane. Those things are total trash. Throw away the creamer loaded with sugar.

This is one of the major problems with the whole "fat is bad" thing from the 70s and 80s. Demonizing fat means we started taking fat out of everything. Of course, it then tastes bad so it gets loaded with sugar to make up for it.

Don't fall for that. Cut the sugar. Eat fat and protein instead.

can you email me some of the things you ate??

Subway subs with veggies and mayo or mustard, grilled chicken sandwiches or salads from McD's or Wendy's, tacos from Taco Bell. Whey protein shakes.

I ate whatever I wanted as long as it fit my macro targets. Still do. I primarily make sure I hit my calorie and protein goals every day, and also make sure I don't get too much sugar. I don't worry about carbs or fat too much, but I make conscious choices to get more fat and lower carbs because I like how fats taste and they fill me up more.

I go over my sugar sometimes, but never by much, and I try to time the sugar consumption to be in the proximity of exercise so it matters less. I'm also back to pretty normal cholesterol levels and not in danger of diabetes or metabolic syndrome so I have low risk factors.

But I eat a LOT of microwave food and a LOT of fast food. I just make sure I fit my calorie, protein, and sugar goals.
  • myyovett
    Options
    Dropped to 120! I dont know when he sends you lab let him know that you really need to talk to him. That its discouraging to you to continue with your health and you dont understand how with a drop iin your normal finger sticks why there should be an elevated A1C. The CRP especially has me concerned you havent had any cardiac issues in the past have you?

Has your stress level been unusually high in the last 3 months? This could explain some of the increase. Keep working on the portion control and watching your carbohydrate intake over the day. I would try to have no more than 150g per day of carbohydrates until you can get better answers...

Keep up the hard work though and lots of prayers for you!

no heart issues. STRESS is high.... :(
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more whole foods and actually cook only for me. The teenagers like junk and aren't home much anyway. I eat a lot of fish, chicken, veggies and try to watch the grains even though they are whole. I do splurge on chocolate every day. Now here is something to think about. Diabetes often causes cholesterol issues. If they are worried about your A1C which isn't bad for a diabetic the higher cholesterol can happen along with your BG. I have been T2 for about 15 years now and despite being within a normal weight range and exercising and eating well I have had to continue to add more and more drugs to my day. I currently take amaryl because my pancreas is not producing much insulin, max dose of metformin to try to keep my body functioning on the insulin it makes, a statin to keep my cholesterol low because no matter what I do it is a tad high, Lisonipril which is a bp medication despite the fact that my bp is on the low side of normal since this drug also helps your kidneys which are at risk with diabetes. I work out regularly and used to eat about 25 carbs a day until the amaryl because I couldn't get my BG down. Realize that sometimes, even when you do everything right, your BG and cholesterol can suck. It may be time for more drugs and that is ok. Remember that with diabetes the goal is to control BG. If you can get off drugs, great but if you can't don't beat yourself up. Do what you need to do to stop the rot, that is the important thing.
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about your A1c, then check out the site www.bloodsugar101.com. It is written mostly for diabetics, but it has a tone of other helpful information for those worried about heading in that direction.

As for the sweet tooth.... I'm a recovering sweet FIEND. (Especially snack cakes, or bready sweet stuff). For starters, and it is going to sound weird... STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW SUGAR/NO SUGAR snacks!!!!! They won't do you any favors. If you like chewing gum.. use that instead. There are a few things you can do for healthier sweet tasting snacks, which are a nice way to step down from the "real" sweets.

Take some regular yogurt of your choice, and toss it in the freezer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until firm. If you want, start with plain yogurt, and add your own fruit of choice before chilling. Mix in some truvia/stevia if you want it a little sweeter.

For when you just have to HAVE something sweet RIGHT now, take your choice of soda flavor, and drizzle in some heavy cream. Swirl it together, and you have something that tastes like a real soda float.

For anything you make that you usually add sugar to, add some type of sweet fruit to instead. (Oat meal, like suggested earlier - add a banana, peach, or other sweet fruit to) Most recipes you should be able to substitute apple sauce for your sugar, especially if it is baked.

And, above all else... do not make anything forbidden. Limit quantities, yes. But don't make it forbidden. It will just make you resent the changes you are trying to make, and you will rebel. You will notice that over the next couple of months with the switch in your choice of sweeteners that things you find not sweet enough now will become almost sickly sweet rather quickly. And, as you get the internal meter for what is sweet readjusted, you may even find that you prefer just a hint of sweet instead of the actual knock out punch of sweet you are getting now.

Hope these suggestions help!
  • myyovett
    Options
    I try to eat more whole foods and actually cook only for me. The teenagers like junk and aren't home much anyway. I eat a lot of fish, chicken, veggies and try to watch the grains even though they are whole. I do splurge on chocolate every day. Now here is something to think about. Diabetes often causes cholesterol issues. If they are worried about your A1C which isn't bad for a diabetic the higher cholesterol can happen along with your BG. I have been T2 for about 15 years now and despite being within a normal weight range and exercising and eating well I have had to continue to add more and more drugs to my day. I currently take amaryl because my pancreas is not producing much insulin, max dose of metformin to try to keep my body functioning on the insulin it makes, a statin to keep my cholesterol low because no matter what I do it is a tad high, Lisonipril which is a bp medication despite the fact that my bp is on the low side of normal since this drug also helps your kidneys which are at risk with diabetes. I work out regularly and used to eat about 25 carbs a day until the amaryl because I couldn't get my BG down. Realize that sometimes, even when you do everything right, your BG and cholesterol can suck. It may be time for more drugs and that is ok. Remember that with diabetes the goal is to control BG. If you can get off drugs, great but if you can't don't beat yourself up. Do what you need to do to stop the rot, that is the important thing.

Intersting!! Thank you!!
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Interesting notes about A1c:

The International Diabetes Federation and American College of Endocrinology recommend HbA1c values below 48 mmol/mol (6.5%), while American Diabetes Association recommends that the HbA1c be below 53 mmol/mol (7.0%) for most patients.[16] Recent results from large trials suggest that a target below 53 mmol/mol (7%) may be excessive: Below 53 mmol/mol (7%) the health benefits of reduced A1C become smaller, and the intensive glycemic control required to reach this level leads to an increased rate of dangerous hypoglycemic episodes.[17]
    A retrospective study of 47,970 diabetes patients found that patients with an A1C less than 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) had an increased mortality rate,[18] but a later international study contradicted these findings

So your A1c doesn't sound like anything to worry about, but I still think you need to exert serious effort controlling that sugar intake.
  • myyovett
    Options
    If you are worried about your A1c, then check out the site www.bloodsugar101.com. It is written mostly for diabetics, but it has a tone of other helpful information for those worried about heading in that direction.

As for the sweet tooth.... I'm a recovering sweet FIEND. (Especially snack cakes, or bready sweet stuff). For starters, and it is going to sound weird... STAY AWAY FROM THE LOW SUGAR/NO SUGAR snacks!!!!! They won't do you any favors. If you like chewing gum.. use that instead. There are a few things you can do for healthier sweet tasting snacks, which are a nice way to step down from the "real" sweets.

Take some regular yogurt of your choice, and toss it in the freezer for 10 - 15 minutes, or until firm. If you want, start with plain yogurt, and add your own fruit of choice before chilling. Mix in some truvia/stevia if you want it a little sweeter.

For when you just have to HAVE something sweet RIGHT now, take your choice of soda flavor, and drizzle in some heavy cream. Swirl it together, and you have something that tastes like a real soda float.

For anything you make that you usually add sugar to, add some type of sweet fruit to instead. (Oat meal, like suggested earlier - add a banana, peach, or other sweet fruit to) Most recipes you should be able to substitute apple sauce for your sugar, especially if it is baked.

And, above all else... do not make anything forbidden. Limit quantities, yes. But don't make it forbidden. It will just make you resent the changes you are trying to make, and you will rebel. You will notice that over the next couple of months with the switch in your choice of sweeteners that things you find not sweet enough now will become almost sickly sweet rather quickly. And, as you get the internal meter for what is sweet readjusted, you may even find that you prefer just a hint of sweet instead of the actual knock out punch of sweet you are getting now.

Hope these suggestions help!

I soooooo understand this... If I try to forbid anything... it's all I think about!! thank you!!
  • Vittlegitter
    Options
    expeller pressed walnut oil is like liquid magic that fixes cholesterol problems, it can't be roasted or cooked, it must be cold pressed. I was hypertensive and high cholesterol and one teaspoon per day of walnut oil brought back to normal in just a couple of months. spectrum brand is about ten dollars for a pint and lasts me about ninety days.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The drop in your finger sticks at home are great. The thing you might want to do is test more often. They often tell T2s to test 1x per day. Not enough. I go through bouts where I test 15 times a day for several days so I can gauge what is happening. Anytime I eat a food I'm not sure of I test at 1 hr and 2 hrs post prandial. I test after I exercise. I test before bed. I've even been known to wake up every couple hours and test. This allows you to see a pattern. I know that my fasting is generally my most out of bounds time so I test every morning. I also usually test at least one other time per day randomly choosing when I do that.

A1C shows your average for a 3 month period. So if you are testing every morning and doing good you may think all is well but if you are spiking at other times of the day or night then your overall control still needs help but you aren't aware of it. Also test right after exercise. Some people spike badly at that point and it is something to watch for although I have always believed that the benefit of exercise exceeds the brief spike I used to get. I have found that my exercise spikes have pretty much stopped now that I'm in better condition so I think it was a stress reaction.

And stress will get you. Do your best to destress. Lately for me that means more exercise several times a day since I can't do anything about the stressors right now.
  • myyovett
    Options

The International Diabetes Federation and American College of Endocrinology recommend HbA1c values below 48 mmol/mol (6.5%), while American Diabetes Association recommends that the HbA1c be below 53 mmol/mol (7.0%) for most patients.[16] Recent results from large trials suggest that a target below 53 mmol/mol (7%) may be excessive: Below 53 mmol/mol (7%) the health benefits of reduced A1C become smaller, and the intensive glycemic control required to reach this level leads to an increased rate of dangerous hypoglycemic episodes.[17]
    A retrospective study of 47,970 diabetes patients found that patients with an A1C less than 48 mmol/mol (6.5%) had an increased mortality rate,[18] but a later international study contradicted these findings

So your A1c doesn't sound like anything to worry about, but I still think you need to exert serious effort controlling that sugar intake.

I'm hearing you (and reading ya :) I just felt like I was doing such a great job. First time I've ever stuck to a "diet" and had it work for me.
  • myyovett
    Options
    The drop in your finger sticks at home are great. The thing you might want to do is test more often. They often tell T2s to test 1x per day. Not enough. I go through bouts where I test 15 times a day for several days so I can gauge what is happening. Anytime I eat a food I'm not sure of I test at 1 hr and 2 hrs post prandial. I test after I exercise. I test before bed. I've even been known to wake up every couple hours and test. This allows you to see a pattern. I know that my fasting is generally my most out of bounds time so I test every morning. I also usually test at least one other time per day randomly choosing when I do that.

A1C shows your average for a 3 month period. So if you are testing every morning and doing good you may think all is well but if you are spiking at other times of the day or night then your overall control still needs help but you aren't aware of it. Also test right after exercise. Some people spike badly at that point and it is something to watch for although I have always believed that the benefit of exercise exceeds the brief spike I used to get. I have found that my exercise spikes have pretty much stopped now that I'm in better condition so I think it was a stress reaction.

And stress will get you. Do your best to destress. Lately for me that means more exercise several times a day since I can't do anything about the stressors right now.

I have been testing more. I spike after exercise.. sometimes up to 150 :(
  • myyovett
    Options
    expeller pressed walnut oil is like liquid magic that fixes cholesterol problems, it can't be roasted or cooked, it must be cold pressed. I was hypertensive and high cholesterol and one teaspoon per day of walnut oil brought back to normal in just a couple of months. spectrum brand is about ten dollars for a pint and lasts me about ninety days.

Never heard of it??!!
  • myyovett
    Options

I'm hearing you (and reading ya :) I just felt like I was doing such a great job. First time I've ever stuck to a "diet" and had it work for me.

So what should I adjust all my #'s to be??
  • jonnythan
    Options

So what should I adjust all my #'s to be??

I'd say add sugar as one of the nutrients tracked in your diary, and set your goal to be 40g.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    First of all thanks for reading my post. I have been working hard to lose weight and thanks to MFP I'm doing it! I went for a checkup at the Dr and my labs came back worse than before I started losing weight! My cholesterol is up, A1c is up, CRP is up.... I'm feeling a bit discouraged and need ideas to try to get my body back to a healty state! Anything.. recipes, foods, drinks, exercise... give me your secrets!!

I too have terrible cholesterol. I changed my macros to 30% protein, 15% fat, 30 grams of fiber, 200 mg cholesterol (the AHA recommended amount for those on a low cholesterol diet). I have noticed that I don't actually consume a lot of cholesterol. I plan on watching these for the next few months and then checking in with my doc to see if my issues are genetic instead of dietary.

Not trying to harp here-- but low fat diets exacerbate bad cholesterol levels (when induced dietarily-- not genetically). Healthy fats improve cholesterol levels. There is absolutely no need to be afraid of natural, healthy fats-- olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil... even high quality butter and cream .

my fat is at 15% because I shoot for lean protein. I did not say no fat. I get plenty of healthy fats. I do not eat processed foods, so any fat I get is real fat.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    First of all thanks for reading my post. I have been working hard to lose weight and thanks to MFP I'm doing it! I went for a checkup at the Dr and my labs came back worse than before I started losing weight! My cholesterol is up, A1c is up, CRP is up.... I'm feeling a bit discouraged and need ideas to try to get my body back to a healty state! Anything.. recipes, foods, drinks, exercise... give me your secrets!!

I too have terrible cholesterol. I changed my macros to 30% protein, 15% fat, 30 grams of fiber, 200 mg cholesterol (the AHA recommended amount for those on a low cholesterol diet). I have noticed that I don't actually consume a lot of cholesterol. I plan on watching these for the next few months and then checking in with my doc to see if my issues are genetic instead of dietary.

Not trying to harp here-- but low fat diets exacerbate bad cholesterol levels (when induced dietarily-- not genetically). Healthy fats improve cholesterol levels. There is absolutely no need to be afraid of natural, healthy fats-- olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil... even high quality butter and cream .

my fat is at 15% because I shoot for lean protein. I did not say no fat. I get plenty of healthy fats. I do not eat processed foods, so any fat I get is real fat.

As opposed to fake fat...?
  • myyovett
    Options

then what are you other %??
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol, too. My recent test came back at 304. For me, there is a genetic component. My doctor said that my diet is probably good because my triglycerides and HDL are "excellent" and it's only my LDL that is bad. High triglycerides are usually a sign that you are eating unhealthy in some way. My doctor insisted that I start taking statins last month.

You might consider the TLC diet. This link takes you to a very detailed plan for the TLC diet, plus it includes a lot of information on Cholesterol : http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/chol/chol_tlc.pdf

For myself, I've decided to try a low-fat Paleo diet. I've eliminated all flour and grains and most dairy. So, I eat lean meat and fish, fruit, and vegetables, and healthy nuts like almonds and walnuts. The only dairy I eat is lowfat Greek yogurt and occasional cheese (maybe once per week).

Let me know if you have any questions.