first time gym goer

Options
KKButter
KKButter Posts: 33 Member
I'm joining a gym for the first time ever any advice for the newbie?

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared to try new things. Ask for help if you need it. If they offer classes, try them out. They are wonderful! Congrats on joining a gym!
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Work with a trainer at least a few times, so you know how to use the machines properly and avoid injuries. Second piece of advice - don't compare yourself to the people around you. I am guilty of this and it makes me miserable wondering how long before i can lift that, or look like her... :wink:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I suggest hiring a training for at least 3 sessions to help you become familiar with equipment. A lot of times, gyms offer beginner packages. Try the classes. Spin, Kickboxing, Bodypump or body sculpt, etc. If they are hard, don't give up.... you'll build up strength and endurance as you keep going. Make sure to incorporate weight training. It is an important part of working out. The cybex arc trainer is my favorite cardio machine! =)
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    pick the fitness coaches brain lol. Go in check out all the equipment, which ever one's look the most confusing thats the ones to have them show you how to work. Most of the equipement does have illistrations of how to use them. But come up with a plan, example today is strength training or pick out parts of your body to workout harder on that day. I just started at Balleys, a free weeks pass, next week a free weeks pass to Curves. But I have a wii fit so will continue with that and walking outside in the sun lol.
  • KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great advice thank y'all so much those are my worries 1. comparing myself to the others there. 2. trying the classes and not being able to keep up and looking like a dummy
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Great advice thank y'all so much those are my worries 1. comparing myself to the others there. 2. trying the classes and not being able to keep up and looking like a dummy

I will tell you I have been a memeber of a gym for 2 years and I just started going to a spin class....I was intimidated as all get out! But I made myself go and I'm glad I did. It's hard not to compare yourself to others. Nobody is going to look at you and think negative thoughts or poke fun at you. Everybody was a first timer at one point and remembers how it feels. The only looks I have ever gotten is a few weeks a girl who was much smaller then me was struggling in the spin class and kept turning around giving me this look like "are you freaking kidding me? She can do this and I'm struggling?"...was pretty funny! If you have a friend, take a friend with you!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options

1. Don't compare yourself... Everyone started going to the gym for the same reason... to get healthy and get into shape. no one started out perfect. If you see someone with a great body watch what they do, how they workout and admire them for the determination and use them to set goals.

2. You will not look like a dummy. No one cares. really! And people at the gym are very helpful. Get to the classes early and find someone in the class or talk to the instructor and say, "I've never taken this class before, do you have any tips or pointers for me?" The gym is a great place to make friends and even find a workout buddy.

also, pay attention to your form when exercising. Don't rest on the machines when doing cardio (Try not to hold on to them at all, it helps strengthen your core), don't lift weights that are too heavy so that you sway or rock or strain when lifting. You could injure yourself.

If you do work with a trainer, ask the trainer to help you with some exercises using free weights and the fitness balls. Those fitness balls help a ton with your core (abs).

Here are more good tips
    http://munfitnessblog.com/a-must-read-guide-for-first-time-gym-goer/
  • BrittBeef
    BrittBeef Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know if you can afford it, but I tried a trainer one time when I had the money, and I lost 25 lbs.!! She definitely helped show me strength exercises that worked!! Plus, she gave me a lot of nutrition advice!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I agree, don't compare yourself to other people because many of them are doing it WRONG! You could really hurt yourself and get an ineffective workout. I also highly agree with working with a trainer, you will learn a lot!! Jillian Michaels has a trainer, why shouldn't you?? Also, it wouldn't hurt to read up on a little "gym etiquette". For instance, make sure you wipe down the equiptment after you use it-not everyone knows that. You will make more gym friends that way. I would also reccomend going with a friend, it made it much less intimidating for my husband to go the first time with me and I was able to walk him through things and just be there for each other as moral support (and remind him to wipe down the equiptment). I also am a big fan of classes. Have a great time! I love the gym, it's a lot of fun, I'm sure you will be great!
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    1. Ditto what the others said. 2. Just be aware that there are a few people who like to walk around completely buck naked in the locker room. That was a bit of a shock for me - I'm no prude but there's no reason why one would have to parade around nude for more than the time you need to get dressed.
  • sicilianroseny
    sicilianroseny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started going to the gym 2 weeks ago - it was all I could do to get used to a treadmill... now I am on it for 30 minutes a day. Today I had one of the trainers show me how to use the elliptical. I am sooooo not ready for it yet as I have to build up my leg muscles first.. (I had really bad cramping above the knees!) But I know, in time, I'll ride that bronco again soon enough lol.

The instructors have forms that you can write down your seating and weight/reps.. it comes in handy! Everyone else there has their own story, and I am sure, their own challenges. I wouldn't worry too much about what anyone else thinks. :) Have fun being good to yourself!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

I promise you...nearly everyone there will pay no attention to anybody else..they're just worried about their own workout. In classes, everyone will just think "I remember my first class...good for you!".

You'll be a pro in no time, no worries.:flowerforyou: