carbs or no carbs

Options
Need some help with this not sure if im gona do a strict protein diet do i need carbs during the day.

Replies

• Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Just go with whole grains and veggies. This is a long term lifestyle change so the best is starting and continuing with a balanced approach. Also, even. Diabetic have to eat some carbs. High protein does help with the hunger but watch your fats if y have I family history of high cholesterol or heart disease
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    No carbs = feels like you wanna kill yourself.

The harshest diet I would ever attempt is 200 carbs low for 6 weeks max, given the fact that I don't wanna deal with side effect mentioned above.
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanx for the advice and help guys.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit. done. don't have to obsess over cutting something out if you're eating at a surplus. Figure out your BMR/TDEE, eat accordingly and you'll lose.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    PLENTY of people lose weight healthily without carbs (apart from salad stuff and green veg). I intend to lose 200 lb eating ketogenic.
  • ndnyl
    Options
    whats is that sorry
  • janinealfke
    Options
    YES, you need carbohydrates. Carbs are where we get our energy from. l had Gastric bypass last July and I too tried to go no carb. My surgeon had a huge fit and said I would not have the energy to function if I did not have at least SOME carbs in my daily diet. For me, however, I have to keep mine very low. If you keep yours under 100g a day, you should be good. For me to lose, I have to cut mine down to < 30g a day. It's really tough, but is the only way I lose at all. Good luck, and message me if I can help!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    whats is that sorry

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

figure out your BMR. Don't eat less than that amount. Go from there.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    good for you!!! I've lost 220 in about 16 mos (along with gastric bypass about 6.5 mos ago) by going low carb. I eat < 30g daily, and drop weight like crazy (again due to my surgery). You need some carbs for energy. Just keep them as low as you can, and you'll lose. Best of luck!
  • janinealfke
    Options
    everyone needs SOME carbs. You'll be fine, just keep them as low as you can. It's really tough to do, but most of us are so addicted to them. Carbs are in everything, fruit, pasta, rice, bread, grains..crackers....you name it. But remember, you need some!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i can NOT do all that high this low that none of this restrict that stuff... i eat at a defecit, and i lose a whole bunch of weight... AND I GET MY BREAD!!! YUMMMMMMMMM
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are your friend even when dieting.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    YES, you need carbohydrates. Carbs are where we get our energy from. l had Gastric bypass last July and I too tried to go no carb. My surgeon had a huge fit and said I would not have the energy to function if I did not have at least SOME carbs in my daily diet.

I saddens me that the surgeon was so ignorant.

How do you think people on keto diets, caveman, paleo, atkins induction and all manner of low carb or zero carb live happy, healthy, brainy lives then?

GLUCONEOGENESIS

KETONES

KETOGENIC DIET

Tell your ignorant surgeon to google those words and educate himself.
  • ndnyl
    Options
    bmr says round 2200
  • trogalicious
    Options
    bmr says round 2200
    then eat 2200, and lose weight. Unless you have some other medical issues, that will allow you to lose weight.
  • ndnyl
    Options
    ok thank you sir for your help.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think you do need some... doesn't have to be a lot. I have found it impossible to not have some kind of carbs daily and have the energy to workout. I tried super low carb diet and was really grumpy and sluggish. Right now I have my macros set at 40-30-30 (carb/protein/fat) and that works for me.. everyone has something that works for them. I hope that you find yours OP!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No carbs = feels like you wanna kill yourself.

The harshest diet I would ever attempt is 200 carbs low for 6 weeks max, given the fact that I don't wanna deal with side effect mentioned above.

This
  • Conniekui
    Options
    I just started MFP and what I'm doing is getting my carbs from fruits and veggies mostly and whole grain. Also eating most of my carbs in the morning and lunch because I'm working out and need the source of energy. I am still drinking a cup of whole milk once a day ( I really really love milk) and it has 12g of carbs . I used to have 3 cups a day but cut down to one. I'm trying to keep my carbs to around 50g a day and watching my fat as well ( using olive oil, coconut oil and avocado). Portion control and serving sizes is also helping.

If you work out, you'll need some carbs. I'd say try fruits and veggies and avoid cake, pastries, candy etc. All the best. Don't give up.
  • DanielleHinkle24
    DanielleHinkle24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No carbs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!