$40.00 a month (im serious)

Options
This is a long shot, and i know it can be done, but things like this are often extremely difficult to find.

Can someone help me make a food list that costs (roughly) $40.00-50.00 a month?

A few notes.
I will eat practically ANYTHING (except grilled onions)
yes, everything from pickled eggs to raw hamburger to Black pudding or Eggplant. but for some reason grilled onions just aint happening.
I am allergic to peanuts

And that's it for my limitations.

Anyone who can offer a simplistic "Grocery list" style and maybe a mon/sun meal type thing? It would be greatly appreciated, im just having a hard time making one up.

Thank you.

Replies

• Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If someone can do that they might just end up a millionaire. Sorry I'm not much help. My grocery bill is huge(250/week). I'm interested if others have ideas though.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    have an Aldi around?

my wife and I pick up most of our produce from there, and supplement with chicken breast/beef from Walmart.
  • HungryKoala
    Options
    Lettuce?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Hey, dude. I'm on a pretty tight budget, too. Target these:

-Eggs
    -Potatoes
    -Bananas
    -Rice
    -Offal

These are dirt cheap and can be your main staples - a good mix of fats/carbs/protein in all of them. The remainder of your budget can be spent of other stuff, ie, veggies, fruit, chocolate, whatever.
    Offal is organ meat, and tastes like steak and normal meat except is much, much cheaper. Hell, if you have a meat grinder, you can make nachos with offal - won't even know you're eating heart and liver. Put upon top of oven-baked potatoes and sprinkle on some cheese and bam, you're in business.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what you got against grilled onions? Without grilled onions dont ever expect to be fit and have a low body fat percentage. Youre so cruel to grilled onions.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hey, dude. I'm on a pretty tight budget, too. Target these:

-Eggs
    -Potatoes
    -Bananas
    -Rice
    -Offal

These are dirt cheap and can be your main staples - a good mix of fats/carbs/protein in all of them. The remainder of your budget can be spent of other stuff, ie, veggies, fruit, chocolate, whatever.
    Offal is organ meat, and tastes like steak and normal meat except is much, much cheaper. Hell, if you have a meat grinder, you can make nachos with offal - won't even know you're eating heart and liver. Put upon top of oven-baked potatoes and sprinkle on some cheese and bam, you're in business.

Food processor works too (I <3 my ninja=awesome)
    and I agree with the statement about organ meat. :)
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    what you got against grilled onions? Without grilled onions dont ever expect to be fit and have a low body fat percentage. Youre so cruel to grilled onions.

hhaha...this.
  • Brachra
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far (and i know im very cruel to grilled onions) :(.

Side note,
    I dont even know what an Aldi is, nor do i think they exist here in Arizona.
  • Brachra
    Options
    If someone can do that they might just end up a millionaire. Sorry I'm not much help. My grocery bill is huge(250/week). I'm interested if others have ideas though.

You eat $1000.00 of food a month by yourself? :P You could do much better even iwth coupons assuming your only feeding yourself.

If not, then okay....whew

I guess i may have forgotten to mention im 100% single and only feeding MYSELF?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far (and i know im very cruel to grilled onions) :(.

Side note,
    I dont even know what an Aldi is, nor do i think they exist here in Arizona.

just a discount grocer. My wife and I hit these guys up a few months ago and haven't looked back. Keep an eye out for them.. or for farmers markets / etc.. and stock up on low-priced veg/produce.
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you have any Chinese or Indian food grocery stores around you then I would recommend you check them out for produce and spices. All the ones I've been to have always had really good prices.
  • rherbe01
    Options
    Check out http://thekrazycouponlady.com/ and go to printable coupons and extreme couponing tabs. Coupons for literally everything. My mom coupons all the time and this is one of the best sites for it.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This is not easy. You're giving yourself $10 a week. I have done maybe $20 a week as a student, but $10 is hard.

Here's what I would do:

1) Keep track of sales, you will pretty much have to live off what's on sale that week.
    Your best bets usually (in Tucson) are Fry's and Sprouts. You can get their flyers online.
    * http://services.frysfood.com/StoreLocator/StoreLocatorWeeklyAdSearch.aspx
    * http://specials.sprouts.com/Shop/WeeklyAd.aspx

Also keep an eye on Albertson's and Walmart--occasionally grocery prices there are better.

2) Foods to look out for
    Protein, look for sales on:
    - Tuna cans (50 cents/can is good)
    - Frozen chicken (~ $1.80/lb or better is good)
    - Ground turkey ($1.25/lb or better)
    - Eggs ($1 / 12 pack or better)
    (I would avoid beef on the budget you have)

Vegetables & fruits
    - Whatever is on sale (including frozen/cans). Avoid too much corn if you can.
    Usually you can get fruits & veggies for $1-1.25 a lb.
    - Also look for cabbage & carrots in fresh produce.

Cereals / Breads / rice
    - Dry beans are cheaper than canned
    - Uncooked (rather than instant) rice
    - For lunch sandwiches: you can usually get a reasonable 20oz loaf for under $1.50 (should last a week of sandwiches)
    - Breakfast cereals: usually bulk / no-brand is not too expensive

Dairy
    - Buy milk only on sale
    - If yogurt falls under $1.50 (32 oz pack, plain / low or non-fat), I'd get it
    - Similarly if cottage cheese falls to about 80-90 cents for a 16oz pack

--

Apologize I'm not good at meal planning, as I tend to simply cook / use what I have in the fridge. I'm sure someone else will have good suggestions for you though.

===
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how anyone could stay fed for $40 a month unless there was a food bank involved, but if you google "How to eat for $10 a week" there are lots of websites so i guess it can be done.
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    I would say, start with not going out to eat.. ditch the candy and juice initially(while stocking up)

Make sure you check the price per unit(ounce, pound, each, whatever) on EVERY thing, the largest pack is not always the cheapest per unit.

The least processed you go, the cheaper it usually is..

uncooked is almost always cheaper than cooked or canned.

bags of rice and beans(I like pinto and they're cheap here)

chicken(bone in will be cheaper by weight, but of course it's weighing the bone too)
    less healthy ground meats(the leaner ones are quite expensive though)
    avoid really nice cuts of meat...

frozen veggies in bulk are decently cheap and won't go bad like fresh veggies. could start with a couple then add in extras.
    check sales for fresh veggies
    bags of potatoes are really cheap here.

Shop around(at all the local stores to find the best deals) and stock up.
    Go for the cheapest per unit instead of just the cheapest for right now, it will last you longer. split up and freeze what u're not going to quickly use..
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Veg shops are usually cheaper than supermarkets for fruit and veg but you also might be able to find one (or a farmer's market) that sells pre-made up boxes of assorted fruit and veg at a discounted price.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I spend about $50 a week for the 2 of us (sometimes more if it's a bulk item that will last us weeks/months).

We normally shop at lower price grocery stores (FoodMaxx/Food4Less for us here) Find the cheapest store you can will help out a lot. Don't buy name brand items if you can help it, the local brand in these stores is called Sunny Select or Sunnyside Farms, so most of our items are those brands.

we mostly just buy a lot of cheap veggies that are on sale at these stores, on sale meat (or a good deal), lots of frozen veggies (in case our normal veg doesn't last us), a spaghetti squash is a weekly buy (it usually feeds us for like 2.5 meals). We buy turkey bacon because it's cheaper than normal bacon in our store and we actually like it.

We have a store call Vallarta around here that has some great deals every week. 10# potatoes for $1 .. 5# tomatoes for $1 .. they have really cheap meat as well.

We also have a .99 store with a grocery area (veggies, frozen foods, breads, lots of canned goods)

And our normal Dollar Tree that has a little fridge/freezer area where we get things like farmer john sausages for $1 (normally 2/$3 in grocery).

I think it really depends on what you are looking for, what you are willing to put into your meal (crock pot meal? Have time to cook? Need quick meals?), and where you shop. If you don't have any discount stores around you then definitely try to shop sales, use coupons, go to several different places for sales if you have to.

Good luck!

Edit: I realized you said $40-50 a MONTH .. I'd say also add in Rice & beans .. both are pretty cheap items that can last a long time, especially beans if you can find them on a really good sale and stock up.
  • Brachra
    Options
    This is not easy. You're giving yourself $10 a week. I have done maybe $20 a week, $10 is hard.

Here's what I would do:

1) Keep track of sales, you will pretty much have to live off what's on sale that week.
    Your best bets usually (in Tucson) are Fry's and Sprouts. You can get their flyers online.
    * http://services.frysfood.com/StoreLocator/StoreLocatorWeeklyAdSearch.aspx
    * http://specials.sprouts.com/Shop/WeeklyAd.aspx

Also keep an eye on Albertson's and Walmart--occasionally grocery prices there are better.

2) Foods to look out for
    Protein, look for sales on:
    - Tuna cans (50 cents/can is good)
    - Frozen chicken (~ $1.80/lb or better is good)
    - Ground turkey ($1.25/lb or better)
    - Eggs ($1 / 12 pack or better)
    (I would avoid beef on the budget you have)

Vegetables & fruits
    - Whatever is on sale (including frozen/cans). Avoid too much corn if you can.
    Usually you can get fruits & veggies for $1-1.25 a lb.
    - Also look for cabbage & carrots in fresh produce.

Cereals / Breads / rice
    - Dry beans are cheaper than canned
    - Uncooked (rather than instant) rice
    - For lunch sandwiches: you can usually get a reasonable 20oz loaf for under $1.50 (should last a week of sandwiches)
    - Breakfast cereals: usually bulk / no-brand is not too expensive

Dairy
    - Buy milk only on sale
    - If yogurt falls under $1.50 (32 oz pack, plain / low or non-fat), I'd get it
    - Similarly if cottage cheese falls to about 80-90 cents for a 16oz pack

--

Apologize I'm not good at meal planning, as I tend to simply cook / use what I have in the fridge. I'm sure someone else will have good suggestions for you though.

This gave me some pretty good ideas

As have all of the posts! I thank you guys and appreciate this!
    keep um coming if you got ideas! everything helps
  • JosieRawr
    Options
    oh also, where ever you shop, find out where the meat n dairy that's close to date is (if they separate it) at brookshires I can get things that are 3-7 days till there sell or freeze date at a significant discount, have caught sales like this at walmart too, but not often(not like I go check every day)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student...let me take a crack at this. lol

-Beans (not canned, the ones in the bag you prepare yourself)
    - Make soup (Cheapest one for me: spaghetti noodles, boullion cubes, frozen brocolli, some spices to taste, chicken) Can usually make 3 gallons worth for $8. You can even do this with just frozen veggies and some pasta, or whatever.
    - Rice (mix with pico de gallo, mexican food stores, maybe 80cents, frozen corn, black beans, spices to taste) ~$1/serving
    - Frozen vegetables
    - Potatoes
    - Canned tuna (Mix with celery and a little mayo, can use on sandwhiches, or just eat plain, or out of can)
    - "Pineapple Fried" Rice. Usually put shrimp in, but can skimp out if need be. Throw some fresh jalapeno, canned, or fresh pineapple, soy sauce, badabingbadaboom

Oh...and use coupons. You probably won't find any for the stuff you need, but ALWAYS check just in case. Don't buy stuff you don't need just because you have a coupon. You can get free ones online.

**Also, shop around. I've found that shopping at Mexican food stores, especially for "typical" Mexican foods, it's much cheaper.