Gaining Better Balance?

Options
I've always been an uncoordinated klutz. I always joke that I'd never pass a sobriety test because I can't stand on one leg while sober, let alone intoxicated.

Anyway, I'm finding my lack of balance is a real issue when doing a lot of exercises. A lot of lunges and stretches, I spend more time trying to not topple over from losing my balance than I do actually doing the exercise.

Is there something I can do to become more coordinated and have better balance? I feel like it's really keeping me from doing certain exercises anywhere near well and something silly to have to be dealing with at 30 years old.

Replies

• Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with balance, but one thing I recently learned was that my trouble with lunges wasn't actually related to my balance. I got a new pair of shoes (Ascics) and all of the sudden my lunge wobbliness was gone. So it might not make a difference for you, but you might consider trying a different pair of shoes and seeing if that helps your balance. You could also try one of the balance boards, but after 6 months, I still can't stay stable on mine for more than a couple of seconds.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. Balance will come with the repetition
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. Balance will come with the repetition

Well that makes me feel better. I feel like a dork tipping over trying to do one legged stretches or leg lifts and such. Glad to hear there could be hope after all.
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I swear yoga has been the main help for me with balance and core strength.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When doing lunges, brace your stomach like someone's about to tickle you. It'll help you keep your balance, as will practicing your lunges.

Developing your core muscles will also help with balance. One exercise I do is what the trainer called "30 60 90's". What you do is lie flat on your back with your legs straight in the air, making an L shape (or 90 degrees, thus the 90 part of the name). Hold it for 3 seconds, then bring your legs down a bit more, so that your legs are about a third of the way down. Hold for 3 more seconds, and repeat so that you're a third of the way from the floor. Hold for 3 more seconds, then lower your feet to just above the ground, and hold that for 3 seconds. Then bring your feet back to the top and repeat it again, doing it at least three times in a row. It sounds easy, but trust me, if you haven't got much core development it will work those muscles (I can say so from personal experience). If 3 seconds is too easy, up the time. If it's too hard, prop your hands under your butt.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Do Pilates. It will help you improve your core which will help with balance.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    1. Improve your core strength
    2. Try yoga, if you don't have access to a class look up yoga balancing poses (examples: tree, eagle, star, half moon, airplane/warrior 3)
    3. When balancing focus your eyes on something not moving, breathe, and just be - don't think of other stuff or your are more likely to lose your balance.

Good luck!