$40.00 a month (im serious)

Options

Replies

• MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Cereals / Breads / rice
    -- For lunch sandwiches: you can usually get a reasonable 20oz loaf for under $1.50 (should last a week of sandwiches)
    - Breakfast cereals: usually bulk / no-brand is not too expensive

===

You can also find recipies to bake your own bread and make your own muesli. If you can buy the ingredients in bulk it may turn out cheaper per serve. The catch is you have to have teh cash up fromnt to buy in bulk. You could team up with some friends and buy in bulk together - a 10 kilo bag of rice can be divided inot 2 x 5 kg for example.

Learn to preserve produce when its in season - make your own tomato sauce, blanche and freeze veggies like carrot, brocoli, beans, cook and freeze meals.

As a student I tried to get invited to dinner with a relative or family friend at least once a week. One family in particular I would babysit and get paid with a meal. Can you trade any skills or labour for meals? Washing cars, mowing lawns, walking dogs?

Do you have any garden space? If so, look into growing your own veggies. We've grown tomatos and lettuce as well as basil and parlsey on our 2nd floor balcony in pots.

Good luck.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Canisters of oatmeal, bulk size whole wheat pastas, eggs, canned tuna, dried beans/legumes such as lentils, black beans, etc. you can use 50% beans and 50% meat for recipes.
    Also focus on fresh produce that is in season. See this website for a month to month produce guide: http://frugalliving.about.com/od/foodsavings/tp/Cheapest_Produce.htm
    Use coupons and your supermarkets "club" card. Try not to spend $ on beverages, drink water instead. If you drink things like milk, buy powdered milk and use 50% of "real" milk with 50% powdered milk. The taste is similar but more economical.
    Also, divvy out proper portions. You will eat less if you truly eat ONE serving of oatmeal, lets say, instead of two.
    Shop at bulk stores such as Costco, BJs etc.
    Find a warehouse grocery outlet like Aldi or Big Lots. Buy store brands over national advertised brands if the cost if less. The quality is typically similar.
    Good luck!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Have you considered becoming a freegan? (Its a serious suggestion).
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    There is a website called budgetbytes that might help
  • Brachra
    Options

Dont know what a freegan is?
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far (and i know im very cruel to grilled onions) :(.

Side note,
    I dont even know what an Aldi is, nor do i think they exist here in Arizona.

To find out if you have one in AZ check out: http://usa.aldi.com/us/html/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If your in canada go to sobeys on dollar days!!!
    Shop when there is sales and use coupons on top!!
    If worse comes to worse and you are having troubles with money
    Go to the local food bank they will make you a hamper
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    There is a website on a family that did it for $1 per day for a month let me try and find it
  • TheNewBlake
    TheNewBlake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    these things are pretty cheap.
    Lentils
    brown rice
    eggs
    theres like bags of frozen veggies for like 1.00 each
  • Brachra
    Options
    There is a website on a family that did it for $1 per day for a month let me try and find it
    Hell if thats true? and a whole family did it?

That would be even better lol
  • LindaLeeT
    LindaLeeT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Make from scratch: oatmeal, cornmeal, rice, veg soup with peas and beans and chicken or beef broth. Canned tuna and salmon extended with onion and almonds, or salsa with salmon.. Shop bakery discount like pepperidge farm to buy and freeze whole grain bread. Frozen veg. Peanut butter. Eggs. Saltine crackers.

Sample day: oatmeal with apple and walnuts, veg soup with crackers, egg salad on wheat with zucchini
    Sample day: peanut butter on whole wheat with orange, salmon and salsa on crackers with pear, veg soup with pasta and cheese

I don't think you can do this with any prepared foods (like chips or frozen diiners) at all.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think I found the dollar a day thing. A couple did it as a project. I read over some of it and it seems pretty cool but I could imagine not getting enough nutrition or calories from the food.

Here it is though: http://www.dollaradaybook.com/it-starts-today
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    HI, I have been very successful with choosing a variety of vegetables and fruits.
    Lean meats and fish, Baked, Broiled, or grilled.
    Whole wheat pasta. Pesto. Sun dried tomatoes.
    Quaker Oats old fashion. style. for cereal or breads.
    Whole wheat breads.
    If you prepare your meals with more veggies, beans, and lean meats. Your grocery bill should average around
    40$.
    Coupons are helpful
    Maybe grow a vegetable garden.
    Sometimes its the way we prepare the meals which can make a difference in the cost.
    I hope this was helpful.
    Good luck.:smile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Good thing you don't live in Sydney. I spend $5 for a punned of strawberries, I paid $2 for one peach last week. $40 would do me for about 3 days tops.

Can you grow your own veggies? I know that will take time, but it may help the budget. Good luck!
  • LindaLeeT
    LindaLeeT Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, check out gaballi.com a faith-based, nondenominational food program that replaced the now defunct Angel Ministies program.
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Dry beans, rice, and noodles. Ramen! Our pantry has had ramen, mac n cheese, and spaghetti sauce in it for weeks. I keep those things around! Find coupons! It is 'officially' Sunday, go get some coupons. I saw someone else on here that had $7 for a week... if you need it, ask for help! Food Banks will give you the basics and you can go from there. We spend roughly $60 a week.. that is for me and my fiancé and we also try to keep certain things stocked up for the house.. We live with family..

Good Luck! Coupons, watch the sale. DISCOUNT shelves! =) We lived off of those grocery mark downs for a while!
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    rice, beans, canned meat (turkey/tuna/chicken), tomato sauce, noodles, canned veggies.

make a crap-ton of soup/noodle dishes, divide into tubberware/baggies, freeze = cheap, easy meals to reheat.

also, ramen. ramen gets such a bad name.. just ditch the seasoning packets for spices/condiments with less sodium and add some veggies/meat.
    or make ramen omelets - ramen noodles + eggs + seasonings = super quick and filling meal
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    It's time for food stamps.
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    +1 for budgetbytes!

Also, be very careful not to throw away any food. You can always use left overs, even the smallest portions (let's say you're left with like 2 tbsp of a veggie stir fry, not enough for a meal, but add it to a scrambled egg for breakfast the next day), freeze anything that might go back, and make it a habit to use what's in your freezer/pantry.
    This is assuming you cook, which is usually way cheaper anyway.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Dont know what a freegan is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegan

I've known about it for a few years. Recently I watched a documentary about freegans in this country (Australia) and the volume and quality of food being discarded by supermarkets. Having returned to fulltime study and supporting our family on just my wife's income, I have considered it myself.
    kind regards,

Ben