Rest Day - desk job, low impact workouts question

Options
I work a full time job, sitting behind a desk in front of a computer for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. My daily commute is 1 hour round trip, so I spend approximately 9 hours a day 5 days a week sitting. Here is an example of my workout schedule:

Monday - 5 mph walking during two 10 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. Total of 65 minutes of brisk walking.
Tuesday - 5 mph walking during two 10 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. Total of 65 minutes of brisk walking.
Wednesday - 5 mph walking during one 10 minute break and 62 minutes using elliptical.
Thursday - 5 mph walking during two 10 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch. Total of 65 minutes of brisk walking.
Friday - 5 mph walking during one 10 minute break and 62 minutes using elliptical.
Saturday - 60 minutes using elliptical
Sunday - 60 minutes using elliptical

I don't always get to use elliptical for 60 minutes on weekends, I have a two year old and sometimes we go to the zoo and walk for a couple of hours or play at the park. But I try to use the elliptical at least 30 mins on Saturdays and Sundays.

After looking at my schedule do you think I need a rest day? I don't feel sore or overworked, I know that once I start strength training I will be taking a rest day. It feels good on my lower back when I walk at work, I get so stiff sitting all day. I need some advice from experienced people.

Replies

• lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job and also drive 45 mins each way to work. I would say you don't really need a rest day from cardio / walking but you would need one if you were lifting weights.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A rest day is always a good thing !! But you can make it an "active" rest day. My active rest day is an easy walk with my dog.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't know how "experienced" I am -- only know for me that I take a rest day when my body feels it needs it. If you aren't sore or tired...keep going. I went for 12 days on and 1 day off for 2 months. Felt fine.
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I think with cardio if you don't feel the need to rest, then it is ok. It is important to rest muscles with strength training. I walk almost every day. I very rarely don't do a walk. But, sometimes the body says no. So, when I feel like that I don't do it.
  • MommaRoseFitness
    MommaRoseFitness Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not sore or feeling run down, no rest day. You are not running or doing weights. So your body recovers easily.