potato chips. my ultimate weakness

Options
How do i break the habit of friday night snacking on chips? I have tried replacing them, eating them in moderation, not buying them, not even going down that aisle. They are my ultimate weakness :(

Replies

• Redkestrel
    Redkestrel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! However, I've discovered Popchips. They are like chips without the fat. My favorite is BBQ and you can have 29 chips for 170 calories, which is a lot!

I usually count out 15 and put the bag away. That seems to do it.

Also, try getting a hot air popcorn maker. Really low cals there too!
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Here in the uk we have something called sack a jacks, they are just flavoured rice cakes but they are soooo good !!! No fat no sugar. They make a great substitute
  • Jelly1967
    Jelly1967 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I replaced my chips with Boom Chica popcorn. It gave me a low calorie snack that was crunchy and salty. I also got an air popper and sometimes pop my own. Of course my real weakness is cookies and I am still working on that!
  • labellecanuck
    labellecanuck Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Absolutely do not buy them. Give away any you have in the house.
    Buy some kernels and make your own popcorn. Do something on Friday night that doesn't allow you to sit around snacking.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You can make sweet potato chips in the oven. If you have a mandolin and can cut them thinly into rounds then just brush a little oil on them (olive oil or coconut oil) put em in the oven to bake. You can mix spices/herbs into greek yogurt for a dip.
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was/am addicted to potato chips as well. It was the hardest habit to break. I would put my kids to bed, grab my chips and the remote and have my "me time". Now I try to not snack at all at night but if I do, I replace the chips with air popped popcorn, almonds or cucumber slices.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you like chips that much, I would advise trying to learn to live with them. Depriving yourself of your favorite foods makes it hard to stick to a calorie deficit--you end up feeling miserable and resentful, maybe leading to a binge and then feelings of guilt and shame.

How many chips can you fit into your Friday night snack, and stay within your daily calorie goals? How about if you do some extra exercise to allow yourself some more? Get a number--400 calories, 500, 600, whatever you can budget for---then go and buy as many snack-sized bags as will fit within it. Do not buy the large bags just because they're cheaper--stick to portion control. Put them into a bowl and enjoy.

Once you know you can have them on Friday nights without feeling guilty, they'll start losing importance. You may find you need fewer of them to be satisfied. Or not--maybe instead you'll learn that Friday becomes your big exercise day so that you can keep to your 600 (or whatever) calories worth of chips.

Staying healthy is a life-long endeavor. If you think you can give up chips forever, go for it. But if you really, really love them, you can make it work.

Best of luck!
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Pop chips and Quaker "quakes" ( rice cakes w/ flavoring).

My favorite is popcornolpolis "nearly naked popcorn" - tastes great and is non-GMO and made with coconut oil. 33 cals/ cup. I don't even care for popcorn and I LOVE this. I buy it at Costco.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Mine is cookies and or donuts. I can't say I've beaten it, but things got a lot better when I gave myself a goal of one month of no sweets. After one month, they didn't have quite the same pull on me. I indulge now only for super-special occasions, maybe 3-5 times a year, and they don't taste so good then. I think saying that I could never ever have them again was just too much, but one month I could handle, and it made all the difference. Good luck!!!!!
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you like chips that much, I would advise trying to learn to live with them. Depriving yourself of your favorite foods makes it hard to stick to a calorie deficit--you end up feeling miserable and resentful, maybe leading to a binge and then feelings of guilt and shame.

How many chips can you fit into your Friday night snack, and stay within your daily calorie goals? How about if you do some extra exercise to allow yourself some more? Get a number--400 calories, 500, 600, whatever you can budget for---then go and buy as many snack-sized bags as will fit within it. Do not buy the large bags just because they're cheaper--stick to portion control. Put them into a bowl and enjoy.

Once you know you can have them on Friday nights without feeling guilty, they'll start losing importance. You may find you need fewer of them to be satisfied. Or not--maybe instead you'll learn that Friday becomes your big exercise day so that you can keep to your 600 (or whatever) calories worth of chips.

Staying healthy is a life-long endeavor. If you think you can give up chips forever, go for it. But if you really, really love them, you can make it work.

Best of luck!

^^ This. Great advice, thank you !
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

I agree!!! Chips are my all time favorite!!! :love:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    100 calorie bags of popcorn or ..special k cracker chips <--- I like them better than potato chips now

or this -- this is my favorite popcorn

http://angiespopcorn.com/project/sea-salt-popcorn/
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I THOUGHT giving up Chips (All Types) and Soda (All Types) would be Hell...BUT to My amazement it is very easy; I just set a time and date and stopped. I was/am emotionally, Spiritually and physically READY for a Healthy Life...No more "in training", it was just TIME for Me to put it ALL Together, no more "weaning off", when you are READY you will STOP, just STOP!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If you buy the cheap multi-packs from supermarkets (in the UK anyway) they are about 100 calories a bag, so it's not too hard to fit one in to your day if needed. It's my weakness too! I used to often have a small glass of wine in the evenings, and that was almost guaranteed to make me want them, so now I rarely drink in the evenings. I also try to get to bed quite early, because staying up late means I get hungry again. Maybe you could try only having them at weekends and see how that goes. Good luck!
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've never met a chip I didn't like so I understand where you are coming from! I haven't given them up yet either.

I just portion them out and let myself have a serving or two, once or twice a week and only after I've eaten a healthy meal and IF I have enough calories left for them.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I know! Honestly I tell other people not to deprive themselves, but I have been staying away from potato chips.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could try making your own potato or sweet potato chips in the oven or microwave. They sell gadgets to make them in the microwave, but even a paper towel and microwave safe plate will do.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-crispy-potato-chips-in-the-microwave-166718
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    If you buy the cheap multi-packs from supermarkets (in the UK anyway) they are about 100 calories a bag, so it's not too hard to fit one in to your day if needed. It's my weakness too! I used to often have a small glass of wine in the evenings, and that was almost guaranteed to make me want them, so now I rarely drink in the evenings. I also try to get to bed quite early, because staying up late means I get hungry again. Maybe you could try only having them at weekends and see how that goes. Good luck!
    I bought a box of individual servings once, And I ate the whole box of multipacks.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Pop chips are great! You can also slice your own potato chips and use one of those microwave cookers for the chips. They taste pretty good from what I heard and they are lower in calories due to not using oil.
  • tleeiiiii
    tleeiiiii Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have no self control when it comes to chips. I stopped buying them and told my bf to never buy them either (there are a few foods I just can't resist) instead we buy a bag of cheddar popcorn for movie nights, the 3 cup serving is about 230 calories.