When and what time you workout?

Options
Just wondering when you find yourself working out? I'm not a morning person but it looks like working out early in the morning is the best time for me. Getting up at 4:30 (winter time is the hardest) is going to be a killer so I can start work at 6:00.

Replies

• mira2602
    mira2602 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The only time I can exercise is evening, with 2 kids in tow, its impossible to wake up even earlia then they do:)
  • MeanMasheen
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 AM and go for a 20 ~ 30 min run..HITT style.... thats on the cardio days.. and on the alternate days i just go to gym at 10:30 AM because i think that its the most convinient time for me... and most of all i have energy within me to do my workouts at that time....
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I too am not a morning person! Can't see myself getting up at 5:00am to get my workout in before getting ready for work. I did enough of that when I was in the Army. I get up a little earlier since I have been doing this MFP thing so I can get my lunch ready. I try to do my workout as soon as I get home from work.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. My gym opens at 5 am during the week, so that's when I get there. On the weekends they open at 7 and I go at 7.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Whenever you can fit it in is the best time... That being said Monday - Wednesday - Friday I like to be in the Pool by 7:30 (Lap Swimming) and Tuesday - Thursday - Split train A.M. Weight lifting / P.M. Cardio and Saturday in the gym by 7:30 for Weights/lift Cardio..... Sundays is Rest day..... I workout at our Awesome YMCA, it is a one stop shop.... lol Best of Luck
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    During the week, I usually workout while dinner is cooking after work btw 4-5pm. I throw food into the oven and when I am done working out around 30-45 mins later its done. On the weekends I workout in the morning before breakfast.
  • Progman
    Progman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When I'm working day shift, I get up at 4am to work out. I always find that those workouts are lackluster, but I suck it up and do it anyway as I work a 12 hour shift and know, that by the time I get home, I won't have the time or motivation to workout.

I much prefer working out, when I'm on midnight shift or on days off, as I have time to have a coffee and shake off the cobwebs. The difference in energy levels - as compared to day shift workouts - is night and day.

Gotta do, what you gotta do I guess :smile:
  • samygirl928
    samygirl928 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the evening usually. :) Lately I have been exercising with my mom and sister in the evenings sometime after dinner. ^_^
  • skylardevenney
    skylardevenney Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have to workout 1st thing in the morning or a talk myself out of it:( sometimes I workout when I put my babies down for a nap!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have to workout 1st thing in the morning or a talk myself out of it:( sometimes I workout when I put my babies down for a nap!

I used to be like this, but I started pre-logging it and all of my food. If you log it and all of your friends praise you for it, you feel more obligated to get it done. There are days that I have worked out at like 10pm just to get it done so I won't feel like fraud!
  • jamieralph
    jamieralph Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just wondering when you find yourself working out? I'm not a morning person but it looks like working out early in the morning is the best time for me. Getting up at 4:30 (winter time is the hardest) is going to be a killer so I can start work at 6:00.

Firstly liking the profile pic! Secondly I prefer working out in the evening after work but so does everyone else so I may have to start dragging myself out of bed early and going before work instead some days. I tend to go in the afternoon at weekends.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Some days are first thing in the morning, one day in particular isn't.

I think working out in the morning is recommended because you can get it done and have no excuse later. ALSO, it may help you to make better food choices throughout the day and have more energy later. Try it, see after Day 4 how you feel. If it's not your thing, then find something else that will work.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm not much for scheduling the exact moment. When I swim is determined by the pool hours (which is very limited). I have one spin workout that is scheduled, because I lead it. The other workouts I do as they fit in, but I make sure that I do them. Many people schedule it so life doesn't get in the way of a workout. Do what works for you. If you aren't a morning person, you may find that scheduling an early morning workout will turn you into a morning person. However, if you find you talk yourself out of working out because you are tired. Schedule your workout for another time.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think the best time for my body is after I've been awake for a couple of hours. Later and I get progressively more tired. I also have very little energy when I wake up.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The best time to exercise is whenever you can. I work two jobs and am very busy otherwise. When I can workout in the morning, I do. The same goes with evenings, Mondays, weekends and Fridays. In other words, there is no bad time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cardio at lunch during the work week...jogging and/or intervals Mon/Wed/Fri...walking only Tues/Thurs. I lift on Tues/Thurs evenings and Sat morning. Also some recovery cardio on Sat morning after my lift session.