Teachers Out There?

Options
So I teach middle school. I have 2 80-minute classes and 1-40 minute class. During that time, I'm on my feet for nearly 80% of the class time. My classroom is at the end of the building and our office/copier is at the opposite end. So I will walk down there at least 3 times a day. (It's usually brisk unless I have a ton of things I"m carrying.)

How would you count this as exercise? I definitely feel between the getting down on knees to talk to students, circling the room a few times, and the constant standing in the room has to count in some way.

Replies

• lbs32724
    Options
    I'm a teacher, too. High school. Since the activity I do is consistent, meaning I do it everyday, my body is used to that activity, so I don't log it. Once you do an activity repetitively, your body adjusts and gets used to it, so I've read anyway. I don't log things I'd normally do, but some people do. JMO.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    I don't count it either.
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I don't log it either, but I do wear my fitbit everyday, so my steps and stairs synch. I find that I usually get in at least 10000 steps and over 10 flights of stairs.
  • woahitsangie
    woahitsangie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Teacher as well...Its our normal, daily routine. I dont count it as exercise. What you can do it get a fitbit, or a pedometer and try and reach 10,000 steps a day. :) Then that will automatically sync with mfp and tell you any extra calories burned. :) good luck!
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am not a teacher but i don't count anything that i do not get my Heart rate .
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't log it as exercise, but I do have the activity level in my profile set to "lightly active" rather than "sedentary"
  • Devon_McCormick
    Options
    I teach as well. I have taught kindergarten for three years and am now in preschool. I crouch, get down in the floor, dance, and run all day long- and might I add in dress shoes lol! I don't count my physical activity at school. I feel good doing it and I am sure real some benefit physically from it. I count physical activity as my actual exercise routine.
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Okay - thanks for all the honest advice. I agree that I typically don't log some of the teaching since I don't reach my heart rate, but someone had said she logs hers.

I have started walking around the building after school which is beneficial. ::happy: :

Kindergarten - I taught for 3 weeks in order to get my master's in reading and every day I had to take a nap because I was excited. I had 2 kids that were my responsibility. I felt like I was always making posters, games, and finding fun ways to teach. All from a middle school girl. Lots of respect to you Devon!
  • ChunkyMonkey207
    ChunkyMonkey207 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Pre-K here..I have a fitbit and let it auto sync.I'm constantly running in circles around the classroom!! Good luck!!
  • deegee44
    deegee44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I work in the school environment, up and down the school corridors all day, though, I would not call that exercise as it does not cause my heart rate to increase. Your heart rate should increase when you exercise and you should be using more energy than usual. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    I would get a fit bit and just learn what your TDEE is - very amazing little tool.
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    What is a fitbit? I do have a pedometer - I haven't worn in this year yet because I'm trying to locate it.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    A fitbit is an activity monitor that tracks your steps, flights of stairs, calories burned (I note it but I don't sync it) and distance you travel a day. I am a retired teacher/administrator. Pedometers didn't always work for me. My days were never the same. Go to fitbit.com and check out the options. There are different kinds. I got mine on ebay and use it to track my sleep as well. If you do extra walking to get in more steps, I would keep up with the time walking and the rate and log it. If you are doing what you normally do a day then I wouldn't count it. Good luck.
  • Devon_McCormick
    Options
    I applaud you for teaching middle school. That is a, let's say, difficult age :)

I have a Gazelle at home and love it! I