What is the WORST fitness advice....

Options
What is the WORST fitness advice you have ever received???

:)

Alex

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Probably that I shouldn't try to lose weight in the autumn because I would just put it back on during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Runner-up is the advice that I shouldn't eat at a calorie deficit because I would lose all my muscle. Both of these gems came from obese friends who are still obese.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You only need to exercise at 50-60% of your maximum heart rate to lose weight. Although any exercise is good for you, this is won't create fat loss. Surprisingly all the cardio machines at the gym have their "fat loss" programs set to exactly this.

Also, anyone saying that you have to exercise longer and longer in order to lose weight is also wrong. You just have to step up the intensity not the amount of time.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    that you have to exercise for at least 60 minutes to burn fat aka advice given by my high school biology teacher.
    seriously though?
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    All the people who said "You have to stop eating _______ if you want to lose weight." I eat it all, just not as much as before and I'm doing awesome. And people who say women shouldn't lift weights because they'll bulk up.

Adding one more: anyone who ever said running was better than walking. I burn more calories walking up steep inclines than I do running on flat surfaces and don't damage my joints nearly as much.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    you need to eat 5 to 6 small meals a day
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Personal trainer insisting he can cure my wife's type 1 diabetes through diet and exercise. (really happened)

You have to do X reps to 'insert muscle goal here'
    You have to exclude/include 'insert food here' to lose weight
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I get a never ending mud slide of unsolicited advice from people in terrible shape. The hard bodies don't say a word. Too busy training. LOL
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I detest it when somebody told me that any running over 20 minutes is bad for me.
  • Colorado6945
    Options
    Don't lift heavy weights, because it will make you bulky.

I am improving my protein intake because I am a weight class athlete. Strong weightlifting competitor in the 58 kilo class (used to be a heavyweight, but now I just need to take off some "out of weight class" chub).
  • monikamojica
    Options
    Seriously, my band mate told me I should just try herorin.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Just got into it - like not even 10 minutes ago - with a friend on FB, who insists that the calorie counting is bull**** and the only way to lose weight is to cut out all sugar. I've got proof that it doesn't have to roll like that, yo.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

This
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    From my judo coach when I was 17, and probably no more than about 18% body fat (based on the fact that I had visible upper abs and could barely pinch any fat on me anywhere other than my lower abs.)

you have to lose 10 kilos (22lb) because this weight height chart says you should be fighting in two weight groups below the one you are currently fighting in

that combined with advice to fast and dehydrate for 24 hrs the day before contests to make the weight that I was currently fighting in at the time. yes he wanted me to drop two weight classes below that one....
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Someone actually recommended it to me that I try drugs, although they recommended coke. I just sort of walked away.

The usual don't lift heavy or you'll look like a man, you can only lose weight through cardio there's no point in doing weights... and my favourite food one, given to me by a woman who works in the kitchen at work.... don't eat bananas, they will make you fat. Still eating them, still lifting, still losing weight and not looking like a man
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

^This for women.

For men it's throw your body into the lift so you can lift heavier weights. :noway:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I have been told the following:

1. Running is a waste of time - you should just walk slowly as it's more effective.
    2. If you lift weights, you'll get bulky.
    3. If you stop lifting weights, all your muscles will turn to fat.
    4. If you lift weights, you'll need surgery.
    5. You only need to exercise for 10 minutes a day.

All of these pearls of wisdom were prescribed to me by very obese individuals. :huh:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    When looking to lose fat, one should alter diet, do cardio and weight etc all at the same and not hold anything back to help past homeostasis.

Apparently it is bro science to not to do all at the same time and I am wasting peoples time by telling as there is no studies showing what I am saying is correct.
  • Cool_Beans04
    Options
    Someone told me i shouldn't eat carbohydrates because my body will just turn them into fat...
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Crap, this wasn't legit information?!