What is the WORST fitness advice....

Options

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    Options
    that women shouldn't lift dumbbells over 3lb.
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    you can get addicted to exercise and you need to be sure that doesnt happen. My entire family is afraid of this affliction lol
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Do nothing, submit to your fate.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You do not need cardio to lose weight.

The worst advice you've ever received is something true? What a blessed existence!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,677 Member
    Options
    You do not need cardio to lose weight.
    You don't. You could do all the cardio in the world and not lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    that you should have a rest day.

I'm not sure people are reading the topic. This is supposed to be about BAD advice, not good advice!
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't eat ANYTHING that's white.
  • NathanHaines
    NathanHaines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ?
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A variation of the lifting one...

I don't need to lift, I just need some bands to tone those areas I want.
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    that women shouldn't lift dumbbells over 3lb.

I have 3-pound weights and was telling a friend that they weren't heavy enough (even for weakling me). She told me that I would hurt myself using 3-pounders and gave me a set of 1-pound dumbells to use instead. It may not have been the right advice for me, but I know her advice was given because she genuinely cares.
  • NathanHaines
    NathanHaines Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I apologize i have lost 82 pounds doing cardio and weight lifting. I know that some people do not have to do cardio but for the state I was in before I started losing weight i had to do cardio otherwise I was not going anywhere
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Don't left weights because when you get older your muscle will turn into fat. Ummm is that even biologically possible? lol
  • plipsurt
    plipsurt Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That people weighing double what I did can do jumping jacks so man up and get on with it. I'm now waiting for knee surgery as I popped the cartilage!
  • laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I must say, all the worst advice I've ever gotten has been from my school gym coaches. Isn't that comforting? The people hired to teach school children about fitness still spout fonts of wisdom such as, "girls should do high reps with low weight to tone." Also, even when teaching us about healthy eating, they never explained ANYTHING so I never really knew what a calorie was. Lol. The best thing they ever taught me was how to do a sit up; last year I showed a trainer how they had us do them and he informed me that they can do damage your spine after doing then for years. O.o fantastic.

Oh I almost forgot, my grandfather told me he doesn't believe in calories. That was a fun conversation.
  • laf0195
    laf0195 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't left weights because when you get older your muscle will turn into fat. Ummm is that even biologically possible? lol

No. Muscle does not turn to fat, unless you ask the bros at the gym. Lol.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Guy told me to bounce the bar off my chest while benching one time.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What's the point in yoga? It's not like you are getting a workout stretching, praying to some yoga god and listening to monks chant. Only do cardio.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Knees can't go past toes when squatting.
    "A study done by Fry AC, Smith JC, Schilling BK. (Effect of knee position on hip and knee torques during the barbell squat. J Strength Cond Res. 2003 Nov;17(4):629-33) examined joint kinetics during back squats under two conditions. The first condition placed a board in front of the participants’ shins, which restricted forward displacement of the knee. In the second condition, movement wasn’t restricted at all. They squatted normally and the knees were allowed to pass the toes.

The researchers found that restricting the forward excursion of the knees during the squat (not allowing the knees to go over toes) increased anterior lean of the trunk and promoted an increased “internal angle at the knees and ankles.”

The results showed a 22% decrease in knee torque and a 1070% increase in hip torque! That stress has to go somewhere. Keeping the knees behind the toes definitely reduces the forces on the knee, but those forces were transferred more than tenfold to the hips and lower back."
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Don't do crunches or other ab exercises, it will actually make your belly stick out more.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I had a work mate that didn't think counting calories made you lose. *blinks* Uh, yeah..that's sooooo how I didn't lose the weight I did. HA! Some people are ignorant.