Help!! I feel like I'm killing myself and getting nowhere!?

Options
I am eating about 1200 cal/day and working out at minimum 3-5x per week and burning about 450-500cal each time. I have never had an issue losing weight if I'm dieting and this is the first time I've added exercise.. After losing maybe 3-4lbs at the start, now 45 days in the scale isn't budging.

I'm really getting frustrated..

Replies

• Jellybean01222
    Options
    when i asked my gym bout that they suggested to drop a few more kcals and do more cardio
  • Jellybean01222
    Options
    uve hit ur wall dont give up :)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more if you are burning so many calories!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your not eating enough to sustain the amount of calories you are burning, You have to fuel your body for the workout that you demand of it.. 1200 is the absolute bare bone amount and you are going into a negative net by burning 400-500 additional calories.... You aren't eating enough..... Best of Luck
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    when i asked my gym bout that they suggested to drop a few more kcals and do more cardio

I would not follow that advice at all.... Whoever is instructing you is not well versed in nutrition.... I would run from that advice but that is just me....
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    I agree with Ed's posts above. Your body is probably going into "starvation mode" (that sounds so dramatic) and its holding on to whatever calories it has and storing them.
    If you eat less, you will probably make things more difficult plus you will be hungry and sad. :(
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    eat more 1200 cals is NOT enough to feed you when you are exercising, OK for short term but really no lower than 1500 and you'll still lose. And maybe more protein don't know what's in your diet but I have been told by a PT protein helps when you hit the wall.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You have such a small amount to lose so it definitely gets harder. (I've been trying to burn off the last ten pounds for two months and am finally just two pounds away from goal.) I can't see your diary so I don't know what you're eating, but one thing that helped me was adding healthy fats into my diet. (Avocado in my case.) Also changing up my workout routine helped as well and keeping my sodium low.)

I definitely would not eat less than 1200 calories though you might consider raising it up to your BMR or eating some of your exercise calories if you are feeling hungry and see what affect that has.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    1200 is too little. It's too little for ME to eat, and I'm only 5 ft, 105 lbs. You're starving yourself, no wonder you feel like you're killing yourself! Go to:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Fill this out, hit calculate, then subtract 20% from the number it gives you. That is the number of calories a day you should be eating to safely and sustainably lose weight. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how many calories you can eat and and still lose weight!
  • TeacherTurnedNurse
    Options
    Sometimes I do eat back the calories from exercise but usually not all of them.. Guess I will see if eating more helps..
  • deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Two words: BAD ADVICE!!
  • Hairwyz
    Options
    KEEP PUSHING AND DROP A FEW CALS OR MAYBE TAKE A WEEK BREAK TO GIVE UR BODY A REST....
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to change your calorie amount. Change it, and then give it a few weeks to see how your body responds. Also, you may want to look at where you are getting your calories from. Carbs over a certain amount make me hold onto weight (and I love my carbs). I still eat a fair amount of them, just not as many now. I try to stay in in 80-120 range. Also, look at your food choices. Are you getting your cals from more processed foods, or all whole foods. What about sodium? Water? All of these things need to be looked at. Also, when you work out, are you just doing cardio or are you lifting (and I don't mean girlie 3-5 pounds weights). Have you changed your workout routine recently, or has it been the same thing since the start. Your body will eventually adapt to your routine. Try switching it up a bit. Good luck!

BTW, you profile pic is so cute :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options

This belongs in the "worst advice you've ever been given" thread.
  • kwennerholm
    kwennerholm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Get off the scale and start taking measurements! The numbers on the scale can be deceiving because even though you are losing fat, you are rocking the gym so you are gaining muscle. Measure your thighs, waist, butt, chest, and go off of that instead of the scale. It will re-motivate you too!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    eat more. I am 4'9.5" and eat at least 1450 calories a day. 1200 calories and working out = my friends missing limbs and parts of their body.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    Options
    KEEP PUSHING AND DROP A FEW CALS OR MAYBE TAKE A WEEK BREAK TO GIVE UR BODY A REST....

HEADDESK_02b841_135751.jpg

No. No...just NO.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising that much and only eating 1200 cals per day, you aren't eating enough -- especially if alot of that is weight training.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

Yup.

Agreed 100% terrible advice.