Rest days....

Options
Hey! So I am just curious as to what others think....

How important are rest days?

During my first weight loss journey last year I worked out 7 days a week with only a few exceptions. I lost 20 pounds, but it took me about 6 months, I think the 1200 calorie diet caused me to have a harder time, plateaus and such. I gained some weight back and now i am back at it. Anyway, I am doing a Jillian michaels plan that says I should workout 5 days a week and rest 2 days, but I am having a hard time not working out on my "rest" days.

Has anyone had more success with taking a couple days a week off vs. working out everyday?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be able to work out 7 days a week for the rest of your life so its a good idea to lose the weight in a manner that will help you maintain it. Take the rest days.

Bonus tip: you should probably be eating more than 1200 cal
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You're not going to be able to work out 7 days a week for the rest of your life so its a good idea to lose the weight in a manner that will help you maintain it. Take the rest days.

Bonus tip: you should probably be eating more than 1200 cal

Agreed.

I usually take 2 rest days per week and they are glorious.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Take a minimum of 1 rest day a week 2 would be better. You have to give your body/muscles time to recover and repair.

And yes, you need to be eating more than 1200 calories a day.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I take one to two rest days per week.

I found out the hard way that if I don't? My body will go on strike and try to get sick. :)

HOWEVER, I feel like a total lump when I am not working out.

I got benched today, which wasn't anything I was expecting, and couldn't really do any of my regular stuff, and while it's not SCHEDULED, I will make up for it Saturday which was my "scheduled" rest day. Even so, I still feel lazy and out of sorts.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I take 1 rest day but have some days consider taking 2 just because I could use them :smile: and I'm totally ok with that, the body needs to rest to repair itself
  • MJackson54
    Options
    I tend to feel better if I take two rest days per week. Sunday is always a rest day. I pick another rest day based on how tired or fatigued my muscles feel. Works for me . . .
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do one rest day a week BUT if I start feeling sore or I need a break on a non-rest day I will do yoga for that days activity so I am not doing nothing but it does let my body stretch out and recharge. If 2 off days doesn't feel right or necessary to you dropping to 1 rest day and 1 yoga or light exerccise day may work. Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have one rest day a week. :) It helps for recovery & letting my muscles rest.

I can relate though--
    I used to eat about 1400 calories,
    while doing epic workouts every single day.
    Needless to say, doesn't work in the long run.

Now I work out,
    but I've upped my calories & give myself that day to recuperate. :D
    I guess a light walk wouldn't hurt if you're feeling really antsy !
  • KD0224
    KD0224 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have started doing calorie cycling today. That way it's more realistic, and I have less chance of hitting a plateau.

I plan to rest on the 2 days when my calories to eat are the lowest for the week, that way I don't get hungry and overeat after working out.

I appreciate all the responses!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

This is exactly how I look at it. Live more a lifestyle then a diet.
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    While I understand rest days are good I personally don't like them. If I don't work out I feel lazy and grumpy. I only take a day off from the gym if I'm out of town or family obligations totally prevent me from going. It works for me.
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I only lose weight after my rest days.:smile:
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    I take 2 rest days from cardio and 2 rest days from strength training. No complete rest days though.

When I get down to under 10% BF I plan on dropping a cardio day though to help gain some muscle.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Just walk a mile on your rest days; that may satisfy your urge. Rest doesn't mean sitting on the couch.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Rest days are important. Your body needs time to recover and rebuild. Some people need two days and others do fine with one. I usually do fine with one day off, but occasionally I need two. I listen to my body and when it is tired I take an extra day. Like others have said, rest doesn't mean laying on the sofa. So take a nice leisurely walk.
  • KD0224
    Options
    Just walk a mile on your rest days; that may satisfy your urge. Rest doesn't mean sitting on the couch.

Lol yea with 2 toddlers sitting on the couch all day is only a dream of mine! :)
  • KD0224
    Options
    I have only been back at it for a week and have lost an inch on my waist and hips, so apparently the "rest" day I took didn't hinder my progress, which is awesome! I just feel crappy when I don't exercise, as some of you mentioned, but I will maybe just do a lighter workout if I start feeling bad on those days.

Thanks you guys! :)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Currently taking 3 days rest during the week, every fourth week I drop all my work weights and decrease overall work volume in the gym by 50%. I'd say I've made more progress in strength doing this than I have working out 6 days a week. Rest is important!

Edit: I should add that I too hate rest days/deload weeks but I've come to appreciate the benefits that come with having them.
  • millions47
    millions47 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am feeling that way now. This is my rest day and I feel like I should be doing something!
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hey! So I am just curious as to what others think....

How important are rest days?

During my first weight loss journey last year I worked out 7 days a week with only a few exceptions. I lost 20 pounds, but it took me about 6 months, I think the 1200 calorie diet caused me to have a harder time, plateaus and such. I gained some weight back and now i am back at it. Anyway, I am doing a Jillian michaels plan that says I should workout 5 days a week and rest 2 days, but I am having a hard time not working out on my "rest" days.

Has anyone had more success with taking a couple days a week off vs. working out everyday?
    I have been reading up on this and it seems the most effective way is to only work out for 4 days max per week and you should be resting every other day, too much working out and your body can not refuel and repair, you need to rest it.:drinker: