when to weigh in????

Options
I have noticed that some people seem to weigh themselves everyday. I do not understand this. My weight flucuates from day to day. I have not decided when to weigh myself, every week or once a month? Unfortunately, I tend to rely on the numbers way too much. Any opinions on this?

Replies

• jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that some people seem to weigh themselves everyday. I do not understand this. My weight flucuates from day to day. I have not decided when to weigh myself, every week or once a month? Unfortunately, I tend to rely on the numbers way too much. Any opinions on this?

I weigh myself weekly, on the same day at the same general time of day (Just after my morning workout on Wednesdays). Any more often than that and I start to feel obsessive.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I suggest once a week.

Just for an example, I weigh myself every Saturday morning before breakfast and before my shower (and after going to the bathroom!).
  • linedawg
    linedawg Posts: 49
    Options
    This is a good posting I was wandering about this as well, Thank you very much for the information.
  • rosaruiz
    rosaruiz Posts: 2
    Options
    I agree on the once a week theory same time etc. Though when I do weigh myself a few days in a row... the fluctuation motivates me to work harder! even though it probably isn't realistic.. :ohwell:
  • Irelander
    Irelander Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with weighing in weekly, ideally before eating in the morning.

It is true that your weight will flux during the day, but ideally no more than a few pounds (unless you're doing it right after a good holiday meal!)
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Once a week is enough.

Though sometimes I do a half week weigh in, I know I shouldn't...
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weekly is good. But to maintain I think daily. If your weight is up over a couple of pounds adjust your eating or exercise. Thats where I failed and let 30 lbs sneek back on.
    LESSON LEARNED.
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I suggest once a week.

Just for an example, I weigh myself every Saturday morning before breakfast and before my shower (and after going to the bathroom!).

That is what I do as well. You don't have to do it on Saturday's, but find one day and stick with just that day. Some people only weigh once a month, or don't weigh at all. Make sure to take your measurements as well. They are just as important if not more important than the number on the scale. Just remember the scale is the :devil: . Hide it after you weigh, so you are not tempted to weigh every day. I have to have my fiance' hide it from me, so I won't weigh every day. LOL :bigsmile:
  • lock0134
    lock0134 Posts: 19
    Options
    I myself will be weighing and measuring the 1st and 15th of each month. The best time is right when you wake up on an empty stomach and before you take a shower. I was a member of Curves(this does work an i plan to go back when i'm within range of one) when I first lost 30lbs and that was recommended. The daily weigh in, in my opinion is a little excessive unless you are training to either gain weight or lose weight for some specific competition. And that's because depending on if you are drinking your 8 glasses of water a day you WILL change based on morning vs night. Oh yeah and the BEST measurement is the size of your clothes in the end because weighing yourself does not take into account your muscle vs fat.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I seem to be in the minority here but I weigh myself every morning after bathroom, workout, and shower. I find patterns to my weight that way. Some days of the week I find I almost always gain a bit and others almost always lose a bit. For me, Thursday morning is usually about my lowest weight. The Saturday and Sunday weights shouldn't be counted the same because I sleep in a bit and weigh an hour or two later than the other days.

I think a good think about weighing each day is that you may see a few big numbers but you won't miss a nice low one.
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I weigh every day, just a bad habbit, lol, but I won't be posting on here every day!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week, right before the weekend and after. Friday & Monday. Always in the morning at generally the same time, as soon as I wake up, after I pee and before I drink or eat anything, and naked.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    (I posted this the other day, but I'll re-post)

ummm...I'll be the bad guy and suggest that weighing every day is not as bad as most people might think. According to a large study done by the National Weight Control Registry (over 4000 people who lost 30 pounds or more and kept it off for at least 2 years), frequent weighing - every other day or daily - was the #2 most common behavioral trait (behind eating breakfast).

The scale doesn't lie, you just need to learn what it is telling you. If you KNOW you have been staying within 1200-1500 net calories a day, then you KNOW it isn't fat that you gained in a day. Gain 2 pounds in a week, and it may be actual fat gain, or it may be sodium from the day before -- you won't have an accurate handle on it.

What the scale may be telling you is you from day to day is that you didn't drink enough water (body will hang on to what you've got to dilute sodium in blood) you ate too much processed food (again - sodium/water balance), monthly hormonal changes (you'll get used to knowing this over time if you're weighing in daily), not enough fiber or lots of fiber and/or protein and not enough water (constipation).

If you weigh yourself at the same time, generally first thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom, you will get an accurate picture. Then listen to what the scale IS telling you...drink more water, eat less processed food, eat more fiber and --if it's your hormones -- rejoice that they're still working:-)
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I used to weight myself everyday, but that's just unmotivating and sometimes really discouraging, your weight fluctuates during the week .. by up to 6 - 8 lbs, depending on salt, water retention, TOM ..everything .. so I suggest weight in once a week. Mine is on Sunday, and I can hardly wait!! I know how it is. But you just have to be patient. Trust me!
  • GoChips333
    GoChips333 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing in Friday mornings; you haven't eaten anything yet that day, plus if I end up cheating on my diet, its usually on Friday evening or Saturday.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, I notice it helps me see what affects my weight.

I only 'count' it, or post it once per week. Monday morning (makes me think more about over-eating on the weekends with a weigh-in looming ahead), right after I wake up and pee!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My husband and I do P90X, which is 6 days a week, leaving the 7th day for rest. Our Master's class is Monday nights so we take Monday as our rest day (less time to work it in). So I weigh in on Tuesday morning before the next week of P90X starts because I know my muscles could retain water, etc throughout the week, but my Tuesday morning after a rest day they should be somewhat the same from week to week.

So, every Tuesday for me, first thing in the morning after I use the restroom and in the buff before my shower. I also make measurements every fourth Tuesday to give me an idea of how I'm progessing because the scale won't always show progress, but the tape measure will!
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I used to weight myself everyday, but that's just unmotivating and sometimes really discouraging, your weight fluctuates during the week .. by up to 6 - 8 lbs, depending on salt, water retention, TOM ..everything .. so I suggest weight in once a week. Mine is on Sunday, and I can hardly wait!! I know how it is. But you just have to be patient. Trust me!
    My answer to this is that I agree. Your weight does vary day to day. So what if the day of the week you choose to weigh yourself happens to be one of those weird up days? You could be depressed all week thinking you gained weight. If you weigh yourself everyday you know that the day BEFORE you were good and the day AFTER you were back to good.

So weigh every day and you'll know what's going on.
  • shadows1177
    shadows1177 Posts: 33
    Options
    I try to wait a week but normaly weigh in every 3 days. It works for me!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only once a week (friday mornings) is the only one I actually record by.

the daily weigh ins are more for my self esteem. It makes me feel good to see number on the scale is still below 200 pounds. I have been fat for so long that being under that point is motivating to me.

however I dont obsess if the number goes up or down on a daily basis since I know that I have a week between each weigh in. As long as it keeps going downward each Friday thats really all the matters.