Finding out the calories in homemade bread?

Options
Made homemade bread all by myself for the first time ever. It actually turned out really yummy and now I have two problems...

1. I want to eat it all.
2. I have no idea what the calorie count is in it (so I had to guess)

Does anyone have any suggestions on figuring this out?

I found an entry in the log for homemade bread, but I don't know that they used the same ingredients or the size or anything really. It's only a 100 cal entry, so, I refrained from eating the whole loaf, in case that's a low guess entry.

I plan to bake more of my own stuff in the future and it occurred to me that this calorie guesstimate thing isn't going to work without at least some sort of formula.

If anyone can help me out, please be sure to dumb it down a little (or a lot). I'm a English/Language/Science junkie. Math is an alien language for me.

Replies

• Pumpkinguy13
    Pumpkinguy13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well, the best method would be to know what you are putting into the bread. For example, my mother uses this pure wheat substance. If you measure how much you grind up to make the dough, then you know the total quantity of calories the bread will have in it. The calories in the wheat is just transfered to the dough.

After the loaf comes out you know the total quantity of calories for the entire loaf. After that, you just slice it up into equal (or near equal) parts and divide the total calories by the number of slices total for the total slice of one piece of bread.

That should do the trick.

An example. All the ingredients for your entire loaf comes out to 1000 Calories. (Say you put eggs, honey, wheat whatever). Then you just slice the loaf into 10 equal parts. Divide 1000 by 10, and you end up with 1 slice of bread = 100 calories.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I entered bread as a recipe and put in all the ingredients. Then I tried to work out how many slices were in the loaf and called that "one serving". Not entirely accurate since all the slices are slightly different sizes but at least it gives me some idea.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I make homemade bread all the time - put all the ingredients in the recipe calculator, and then figure out how many servings you will get out of it. Like if you make a loaf that you will cut into 16 slices, then put in 16 servings. I actually make a large batch of dough that I keep in my fridge, so I weighed it, and I figured a serving as 2 oz of dough. I usually shape it into 3 oz rolls (weight before baked), so I put it in as 1.5 servings when I eat a roll. Or if I make a 1 lb loaf, you can cut it into 16 slices or 8. Or I use it for pizza crust - again 1 lb per crust, so each 1/8th of a pizza is a 2 oz serving. Hope I am not over complicating, but it really is easy!
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I entered bread as a recipe and put in all the ingredients. Then I tried to work out how many slices were in the loaf and called that "one serving". Not entirely accurate since all the slices are slightly different sizes but at least it gives me some idea.

This is what I would suggest doing :)
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. You're awesome. I feel so much better about attempting to bake more of my own stuff now.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

This! I do this with any homemade thing I make whether it be a new recipe for supper or cookies. It's a rough estimate but it's better than nothing.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder feature. It takes time, but it definitely helps to get a more accurate calorie count than just using whatever is already in the database. Also, the nice part about it is that when you make that recipe again, you don't have to enter all the info in once again -- it's all saved for you.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    get yourself a food scale and weigh out all the ingredients, put in all the raw amounts into a recipe builder here. then weigh your final product.

If i make a 'recipe' on here i often label it to have the date and weight per serving (cooked weight)

ie.

24feb13 5 spice stir fry (300 gram/serv)

That way if i'm eating leftovers i know how much i'm consuming.
  • koch1983
    koch1983 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, I'd enter your ingredients into the recipe and there you have the total calories. After you bake the bread and it cools, I'd weight the whole thing and then divide the calories by the weight in grams of the bread and then you have the calories per gram of bread. That way you don't have to estimate equal slices.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I add up the calories of all the ingredients. Weigh the baked loaf. 1 gram = 1 serving. Weigh each slice and enter how many servings (grams)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    70 calories an ounce (28 g) will get you within a +/- 10 % range of virtually any bread product. Whether it's worth it to drill down further by adding up ingredients is up to individual preference and patience. I for one just go with 70 cals/ounce.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    weigh the flour, fat, and liquid in the bread. Calculate the calories for each ..add them.. slice the bread in equal pieces and divide the total.

calories for some bread ingredients

120 cal per Tablespoon of fat
    455 cal per one cup flour
    146 cals per one cup milk
    46 cals per one tablespoon of Sugar