size charts?

Options
does anyone else find the size charts listed on a stores website to be really off, or am i just weirdly shaped?

for example, at loft i can wear a size 4 in pants, and between a 4/6 for dress. their size chart lists a size 4 as measurements of 34/26.5/36.5 i am closer to 38/28/37.5 which is bigger on all 3 counts. i know a size 4 is likely a "vanity" size, but shouldn't their chart reflect this?? this happens pretty consistently when i look at other store's sizing suggestions... do i just carry my weight differently than others? or are these stores just way off base when they put these charts together?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I find the same to be true. If I bought the size the chart says should fit me, it would fall off! It's very strange to me as well. There are a few things that seem true to the size chart - formal wear for one. Also, clothing at Pin Up Girl Clothing LOL. Found that one out the hard way.

If they want to vanity size, I couldn't care less, but at least make the size chart reflect that!
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sizing of womens clothing is a meaningless joke. Buy what fits properly and forget about the numbers.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    exactly! i don't care either, i just want to be able to know what size to buy .. i end up not buying anything online b/c i don't trust size charts at all.. so frustrating. though perhaps good for my wallet :)
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sizing of womens clothing is a meaningless joke. Buy what fits properly and forget about the numbers.

it's not about the "number" of the size. i buy what fits, but if i'm looking online i'd like an accurate chart to know what size to order
  • julibug851234
    julibug851234 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can wear anywhere from a 4 to a 10 depending on what store I'm at. It's ridiculous!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have anything from a size 0 to a size 6 in my closet in women's sizes, and they all fit.

That said, juniors sizes are far more consistent. I can usually pick out any junior size 7 pants at Kohls, Macys or Penny's in any brand, and they will usually fit.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options

it's not about the "number" of the size. i buy what fits, but if i'm looking online i'd like an accurate chart to know what size to order
    I understand what youu are saying but marketing gurus are playing to womens perceived vanity
    so the charts won't be accurate until women demand accurate sizing standards.
  • dontcallmecass
    Options
    Size charts are complete crap. I just commented on this somewhere else.

I am 32 - 29 - 35. According to a size chart I should wear a size 8/medium because of my waist. However, I am 5'0 and about 97 pounds. My pants size is 1/2 and my dress size is extra small. Everyones body is completely different...I find size charts to be pointless. It's annoying because I can't really order anything online.
  • dontcallmecass
    Options
    Ooops meant to say, I am 32 - 28 - 35, not that it's much of a difference. Regardless, according to size charts I should be a size 8 in pants but I'm barely a 2...LOL
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it matters. Go to the store, try on clothes, buy what fits, regardless of the number on the tag. I have 4's, 6's, and 8's from the same store that all fit.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    It's not all about vanity sizing. The chart is what the store sends to their manufacturers as the standard measurement. There is an allowance of 1" or more either way for each garment. High end labels generally don't allow a large variance while lower end allow more, to keep costs down. Often you'll find that one pair of size 4 jeans fits and another doesn't because of the variance. Some retailers will accept improperly sized clothes and take a reduction off the invoice from the manufacturer, then sell the garments at the usual price.

For truly random sizing try the jobbers - TJMaxx, Marshals. That's where clothes that are really out of size go when the retailer rejects the order.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Here's an example....Ann Taylor dress pants I wear to work. I wear a 10P, and they're roomy (I can squeeze into an 8P, but they're too tight to wear in public LOL).

According to their size chart, that is a 29" waist and a 38.5" hip. Now, I know the waist will be off because that "waist" measurement is higher up, not where the pants actually hit you. But my waist, where the pants hit and higher up, is 35.25". My hips are 41.5". HUGE difference compared to the size chart measurements.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why it matters. Go to the store, try on clothes, buy what fits, regardless of the number on the tag. I have 4's, 6's, and 8's from the same store that all fit.

You're missing the point. This is what she's saying - The printed size chart says someone with a 28" waist should wear a size 8. But someone has a 31 inch waist and the 8 fits fine. If you're out shopping, sure you try on a few sizes and pick the one that fits. But if you're shopping on line and going by the size chart that the store provides, you have to go by their (inaccurate) measurement chart.

I've found the same thing. When I was a size 2/4, most measurement charts put me in a 8 or 10. I never even look at the charts anymore since I've given up shopping on line for brands I'm not familiar with.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

You're missing the point. This is what she's saying - The printed size chart says someone with a 28" waist should wear a size 8. But someone has a 31 inch waist and the 8 fits fine. If you're out shopping, sure you try on a few sizes and pick the one that fits. But if you're shopping on line and going by the size chart that the store provides, you have to go by their (inaccurate) measurement chart.

I've found the same thing. When I was a size 2/4, most measurement charts put me in a 8 or 10. I never even look at the charts anymore since I've given up shopping on line for brands I'm not familiar with.

Yup, that's what I do. Stick with brands I know, or places that I can easily return too (Nordstrom's has free return shipping so I'll order multiple sizes and ship the rest back!).
  • dontcallmecass
    Options

Yup. I have a 28" waist and I am a 1/2. I clearly can't order online by following a companies size chart. I rarely order online due to this, but if I do I just stick to brands I know.

I think the main issue with size charts is that most are modeled after the "hourglass figure", which is like what? 10% of the female population? It's a little silly.