Frustrated Teen =(

Options
well ive been at this for a while and really dont feel so much support .....ive been going back and forth 190-195 and its been very hard for me ..... i got the working out part but its jist the eating right part thats gets me also i cant stay away from fast food places ughhh sooo hard right now....please feel free too add me

Replies

• sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    When you got to fast food since you cant stay away do you try to make the healthier choice? Fruit instead of fries, grilled chicken instead of breaded and fried. Eating healthy is just a series of choices. No matter what you eat Log your calories. Maybe seeing all the calories will encourage you to make better choices. Good luck.
  • emilysmellz
    emilysmellz Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I always have one or the other down, never both at the same time. & working in the fast food industry (somewhat) doesn't help either.
  • mama2moody
    Options
    Love yourself baby girl ! I have struggled with my weight my whole life and if there is one thing I could go back to my teenage years to do it would be to let go of the constant weight battle and love myself. Be free and enjoy your life as it is right now.
    Of course, you want to be healthy and you are going to eat out a lot because you are young and active. The great thing is you don't have to be perfect. Get a little something "nice" like a small french fry or whatever but pair it with a salad or grilled chicken sandwich so you don't feel like a "dieter" amongst your friends.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Log everything as accurately as you possibly can. When in doubt, round calories up for food and down for exercise. Weight loss is only calories in, calories out. You can do it!
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. As hard as it is. You will enjoy the ending much more. Try planning a head. If you can that is. That helps me a lot.
  • bobovaldez14
    bobovaldez14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies for the advice i never really thought about alternatives when i eat out. the big thing is i always look for the meal thats the biggest that will be sure too feel me up. i am really going to try hard to get some more greens in me !
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    fast food tastes amazing. And then an hour passes and you have the taste of old cardboard in your mouth, and are hungry again. Try a drastic method - don't have fast food for 2 weeks, and then see how you feel. Your energy levels, how well you sleep, if you're active or lethargic. You'll notice a difference, I promise you that.

Thing is, you can read as much advice as you like, however if you try it out and draw your own conclusions, that will stick.

Good luck baby girl!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You don't have to stay away from fast food, you just have to find a way to balance it out with other foods throughout the day so you hit your calorie goals. Fast food at lunch is fine with an appropriate dinner, but fast food every meal every day probably won't get you where you want to be.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Fast food once a week, I say! Have a free day where you eat whatever you want without logging, then be super hard on yourself the rest of the week! Works for me :) exercise motivates me to eat healthier as well.

But I know the feeling gurl, I work at a coffeeshop, cakes EVERYWHERE
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    the hardest part is to stay away from the fast food. i used to eat fast food 4 days a week and it was tough to break that cycle. but i finally just said enough and quit it cold turkey. its been about 6 months since i last had a most delicious double whopper with cheese no tomato :(

but i like the results just a hair better than i do that scrumptiousness
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    Fast food once a week, I say! Have a free day where you eat whatever you want without logging, then be super hard on yourself the rest of the week! Works for me :) exercise motivates me to eat healthier as well.

i would say log it...once you visually see it enough times it may just click that you need to stay away from it
  • pobanion
    pobanion Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies for the advice i never really thought about alternatives when i eat out. the big thing is i always look for the meal thats the biggest that will be sure too feel me up. i am really going to try hard to get some more greens in me !

You don't have to get the largest meal to feel full. Try having a glass of water before you eat. Also, it takes some time for your body to report back that you are "full". You can get a surprisingly large amount of food down before your body says your full. But by then it's too late and you will be over stuffed. :)

Try the glass of water and take smaller bites and you will probably feel full before you are half way through your meal.
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Do some research on how fast food and processed foods are made. Once I found out the truth I lost my desire to eat crap food. Every time I even get tempted, I picture the rotted chemical pumped meat they use to make these foods.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different in how they handle fast food. I can't imagine going into a Wendy's and not eating a delicious single plain with medium fries. I decided to give up fast food altogether and just stay away. Some people can eat salads with those addictive smells all around. I cannot. Fast food is highly addictive; I had to go cold turkey.

There are many things for a young person to do besides go to fast food restaurants. In the end, we have to make decisions about what we want in our lives, not what we want right now.
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options

i would say log it...once you visually see it enough times it may just click that you need to stay away from it

I log everything except saturdays. I think having a free day is great :) I know large amounts of chocolate is bad, but sometimes I want to eat and not feel bad about it. So I give myself a break every week. Works for me anyway and motivates me to keep every other day clean!
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I primarily eat out and it's possible to make good choices and watch the calories and macros (carbs, fat, protein). When you have some free time, visit the restaurants websites that you frequent and put together meals that seem like they would be filling but at the lowest calorie that you can. You can use MFP to make custom meals.

For example, KFC has 1 Piece Breast Meal. If you can make that grilled (or original but remove as much skin as possible), and get two sides of green beans, then that's a meal under 300 calories. If you get one green beans and one mashed potato without gravy, then it's under 350 calories).

Taco Bell has the fresco options which lower the calories. Subway can often be a good option, just get an apple or baked version of chips (or split one bag of chips with a friend).

I'm not advocating that a person eat fast food all the time, but rather that smart decisions can be made. The two biggest things are the following: avoid french fries and avoid desserts. Try to go grilled instead of fried. If need be, eat a sandwich with only the bottom bun to eliminate the extra carbs and calories. You can do it. It takes a little bit of effort, but it's definitely doable. And it's so worth it.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options

I log everything except saturdays. I think having a free day is great :) I know large amounts of chocolate is bad, but sometimes I want to eat and not feel bad about it. So I give myself a break every week. Works for me anyway and motivates me to keep every other day clean!

pizza = my chocolate :)

i try not to give too much advice as everyone is different (mentally and genetically, so what works for me may not work for you). having said that if Fast Food is a problem in my exp i would say stay away, once you eat one day you think , well i will work out harder and eat another day and so on. course i had the will power of a moth in a room full of lamps....
  • bobovaldez14
    bobovaldez14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hmmm maybe trying not to have fast food for a week or so would be a challenge for me but i can defiantly do it! we have a taco bell down the road and thats always my choice all the time! no more taco bell!!.... your guy's advice is very helpful!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    hmmm maybe trying not to have fast food for a week or so would be a challenge for me but i can defiantly do it! we have a taco bell down the road and thats always my choice all the time! no more taco bell!!.... your guy's advice is very helpful!

the "problem" with fast food is how easily accessible it is. it is cheap. it is fast to get. it tastes good and allows you more time to do other things.

i dont think anyone will say cooking your own food is easier but buying it and preparing it is better in the long run.

i do my shopping on saturday mornings. i buy the same thing every week

chicken breasts, grapes, cereal, granola bars, yogurt, kraft mexican cheese

i pick all the grapes from their stems and put them in a container

sunday evening i cook my chicken breasts with lemon seasoning from mrs dash

i then cut the chicken up and weight it out to 6oz portions and add 1/8 of a cup of kraft mexican cheese and place it in containers

left side of the fridge is my stuff and then every morning before work i take a grocery store paper bag and put the chicken, grapes, granola bar and yogurt in it and go to work.

pain in the *kitten*. Yes.
    better for me. Yes
    See results. Yes