what's good on an elliptical?

Options
so 2 weeks ago bought a cheap elliptical. i have been going around 55 speed with the resistance at 3 for 20-25 min. i am sweaty and and tired when i am done. the calorie thing says 200 burned after 20 min im not trusting that though. anyway i know eventually i need to push and go longer harder faster. but for now and for how long is this good for calorie burning?

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It's good, just go up on resistance. For any kind of sustained loss, you have to build muscle along the way to not just drop pounds but body fat percentage also. The last thing you want to lose is lean muscle mass. Just doing cardio and cutting calories without building muscle is going to get you to drop a bunch of weight, and then plateau, and then may even have you gain it back again. Start lifting would be my suggestion, but if you steadily up the resistance on your elliptical, that should help a bunch also.

200 burned for 20 minutes on the elliptical at 55 sounds about right. Keep up the great work!

Maybe grab some cheap dumbbells or resistance bands or a kettlebell and start resistance training also, on alternate days, and just use the elliptical for cardio. That would work also. Bottom line is to find an exercise program that's fun for you and that you will stick with in the long run.
  • ashmarie822
    Options
    thank you :-)
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You could do interval training. "Sprint" for 30 seconds and slow down to recovery for 2 minutes, keep doing it for 20-30 minutes. Do that on different days to switch things up.
  • kmhallett
    kmhallett Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY ELLIPTICAL! When I first started using it I had a hard time getting past 7 minutes......today I did 40 for the first time alternating between 4 5 and 6.....the weight has just fallen off of me as well! When I did the 40 I burned 506 calories. Does your take your heart rate as you go?