No period for months, but...

Options
The last time I had my period was in August. Since then, I have had 2 times where I spotted lightly. My cycles tend to be abnormal, never by this much. Abnormal like one cycle is 34 days, then 48 days, then 28 days, etc. I have lost about 40 pounds. My mom does have PCOS, and i just do not know what to do...

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Did you go to your GYN?
  • christabel6
    christabel6 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You've done amazingly well to lose all that weight but if you've done it using a very low calorie diet, that could be the reason your periods have gone AWOL.

As the lady above says, best to have it checked out. If it's PCOS it's worth knowing that sooner rather than later.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My cycle was very irregular too when I was losing weight, but it never totally went away til I went on the pill and then off it 3 months later. Then I completely went out of whack and didn't have it for 5 months, got diagnosed with PCOS after that point. I'd go see a gynecologist, because they will probably give you something to induce it. It's not good to go that long without a period because it puts you at risk getting an overgrowth/endometrial cancer. My gyno says they don't like to let people go more than 3 months without it. Best of luck!
  • LakelandLady
    LakelandLady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would consult with a OB/GYN. It could be a hormone inbalance. It could be a symptom of a thyroid condition. It could be relatively normal for you but I would go and at least get a check-up.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I think losing weight can have major effects on hormones, February of 2012 I had my period for a month straight, got on the pill to only continue to have my period for another month...

Then when I got off of the pill my periods went perfectly back to normal, immediately.

You're having the opposite problem, but it may be because of your weight loss. But if your mom has PCOS, I would really recommend you go to the doctor to get everything checked out
  • Poemetra
    Poemetra Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You should see your OB/GYN. It might be PCOS or a hormonal imbalance. The same thing happened to me. I was diagnosed with PCOs and a hormonal imbalance until they did it again and concluded it was just a hormonal imbalance. I would get checked out and take it from there. Good job on your weight loss by the way!
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been like that for a few years now and when I spoke to my doc I got told don't worry not every woman is the same, So different doc now and going for a scan!! If your really worried go to your doc explain and they'll prob do some blood tests etc.
    Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • candirose69
    Options
    could you be pregnant?? just throwing it out there...other wise you should probably see a doctor about this sort of thing rather then trying to self diagnose on teh internet...that stuff needs ot be taken seriously!!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    probably hormones and/ or weight loss. Go to a gyno. I'd suggest birth control pills even if you are not sexually active. I used to be horribly irregular and found it so annoying to have to constantly keep track and worry when too much time went by between periods. Borth control pills fixed that up. No more wondering and no more excruciating painful symptoms when my period started.