What to eat when you're under your calorie goal?

Lately I've been having a problem with reaching my calorie goal. I'll be really good about my eating all day, getting my exercise in, ect. but at the end of the day, I'll be as much as 600 calories under on same days. What is the best way to go about reaching my calorie goal on days like this?

The confusing part for me is that I feel full and satisfied on these days, even though I am under my calorie goal. I've just been eating really low-calorie foods. I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat just so I can get up to my calorie goal, even when I'm not hungry...is this something I should be doing? And if so, what kind of foods should I be eating to get my calories up? I assume I shouldn't just dive in and have a piece of cake to get rid of my excess calories, but it's hard for me to reach my goal eating healthy foods.

(I recently just adjusted my calories to 1200 a day since I was having a much harder time reaching my original 1600 goal)

Replies

• DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Start eating calorie dense foods if you like them such as nuts, avocados, etc.

If you want, you can look at my diary and/or add me as a friend for ideas! Good luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Lately I've been having a problem with reaching my calorie goal. I'll be really good about my eating all day, getting my exercise in, ect. but at the end of the day, I'll be as much as 600 calories under on same days. What is the best way to go about reaching my calorie goal on days like this?

The confusing part for me is that I feel full and satisfied on these days, even though I am under my calorie goal. I've just been eating really low-calorie foods. I feel like I'm forcing myself to eat just so I can get up to my calorie goal, even when I'm not hungry...is this something I should be doing? And if so, what kind of foods should I be eating to get my calories up? I assume I shouldn't just dive in and have a piece of cake to get rid of my excess calories, but it's hard for me to reach my goal eating healthy foods.

(I recently just adjusted my calories to 1200 a day since I was having a much harder time reaching my original 1600 goal)

You should start eating some good fats to rev your metabolism. Avocado is a fantastic food as is coconut oil (a great source of medium chain triglycerides--good for fat-burning). Are you working out? If you are, 1200 is WAYYYY too low. You need to "NET" at least 1200 calories (your net calories are your allotted calories minus your exercise calories) or you risk damaging your metabolism.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Today I knew I was not going to meet my calorie goal so I added 2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter to my regular protein shake. That bumped me up the extra 200 cals I needed and also added some satisfying fat to my day. So, that's what I do when I know I'm going to fall short. I add some calorie dense, healthy food to my day and call it good!
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Today I knew I was not going to meet my calorie goal so I added 2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter to my regular protein shake. That bumped me up the extra 200 cals I needed and also added some satisfying fat to my day. So, that's what I do when I know I'm going to fall short. I add some calorie dense, healthy food to my day and call it good!

Mmmmmmm. Peanut butter. Yes.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Butter. It is delicious and makes everything taste better.
  • Two words - Peanut Butter
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Nothing... just live it up and lose weight faster. :bigsmile:

How'd ya gain weight in the first place? :huh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Milk, nuts, peanut butter, avacados, and cheese.
  • sandracmamo
    sandracmamo Posts: 2 Member
    Why would you need to meet your Calorie Goal if your not Hungry? I often do not meet mine due to burning up to 600 on the eliptical. I am new here so answers appreciated.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Almond butter
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Nothing... just live it up and lose weight faster. :bigsmile:

How'd ya gain weight in the first place? :huh:

^Not this. If your goal is 1200 and you're 600 short, that means you're only eating 600. You need to eat at LEAST 1200. I think you should give the 1600 a chance. It was your goal for a reason. You may not be hungry b/c your body just hasn't gotten used to being fed.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I think have the same problem.. I simply don't feel hungry. I have to remind myself to eat. I looked at your diary. I think you just need to add more in when you eat or do as I did, and split your day up into 6 meals. What really helped me was eating breakfast. To help myself I made protein shakes in the morning at first. It did help, and recently I've gotten away from it, but have trained myself to eat int he morning. Those 200 or so calories in the mornings make a huge difference for me.

Natural peanut butter spread on an apple is a great snack. I have that often. Plain Greek yogurt with a squeeze of honey is a great snack as well. I also don't use low fat food (except my greek yogurt, but that's because I don't like the full fat version of it).

Make sure there is a fruit and veggie at every meal, carbs are not the enemy. I did't reach 1200 today either. I did yesterday but I didn't many days last week. I need to train my body to expect to be fed more often, like creating hunger. You probably need to do the same thing.

Under eating isn't any better then overeating.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Why would you need to meet your Calorie Goal if your not Hungry? I often do not meet mine due to burning up to 600 on the eliptical. I am new here so answers appreciated.

You in general don't want to push your calorie deficit too large. If your goal for the day is 1200 calories, and you burn 600 on the elliptical, you should be eating about 1800.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 339 Member
    I do the same, and I know better, I got here by not eating.

Old habits die hard -
    Breakfast - coffee
    Lunch - no time
    Dinner - too hot, salad

All this eating, is,overwhelming, I am trying!
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    I find this sometimes too. I eat a lot more calories than you though. I can easily eat 1,600, it's just on days where I work out a lot that I find it hard to eat back my calories without reaching for the ice cream! I don't like nuts at all so this doesn't work and advocado is not really for me unless it's guacamole on nachos!

I've decided to introduce more full fat versions of food like butter, yoghurt and cheese rather than diet versions. Much tastier and they help me reach my goals.

Trust me, I used to eat 1,200 and my weight loss quickly stalled. You need to be eating 1,400 minimum plus eating back your exercise calories.

Good luck!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    I've been having this problem too, certain days. I feel like I'm eating all day and end up 600 short. So after dinner and I put in my meals, I'll have another protein shake and a couple granola bars. The calories isn't the hard part- its the macros. Trying to keep the fat and sodium down is hard. The weekends are easy because a couple beers fills up the count pretty fast!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I'll be really good about my eating all day, getting my exercise in, ect. but at the end of the day, I'll be as much as 600 calories under on same days.

If you're 600 calories under your goal, that's not "being good," that's not eating enough. Get rid of the mindset that eating little = good. :smile:

It sounds like you're just using your food diary to record your day, when you should be using it to PLAN your day. Have an idea of what exercise you're going to do, tack on those extra calories to your goal (either mentally or actually log it before you do it), and work towards that goal. It's a lot easier to add just a little bit more to each meal or snack than it is to add a whole big pile of calories at the end of the day. An extra ounce or two of chicken, a slice of cheese, a glass of chocolate milk, etc.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Almond butter

Way more nutritious and healthy for you than peanut butter. You get a gold star. :)
  • kbitzonefour
    kbitzonefour Posts: 114 Member
    Eating food should do the trick.
    Or a shake if you're too busy.
  • nightdragon70
    nightdragon70 Posts: 94 Member
    I've always got this problem. Some days I would end up around 600 calories total.... my net would end up negative after workouts

Definitely not a good thing.. I just have to echo what other people have said.. peanut butter.. it's good protein and easy calories
    Other thing I will do is sometimes just add in a protein shake or something like that.

Good luck