Make up for calories burned?

Options
Okay so i'm pretty new to this consumed calories vs. burned calories.

First a little background. I've been on mfp since january and so far lost 8lbs, i'm 5.4 and current weight is 264lbs so this change is long overdue.

However, at first i just changed my diet but now i'm slowly working exercise into my life as well. I have a 6mo old daughter so I take her out for long and short walks in her pram (she pretty much controls how long they are for now ;) )

Now I use Endomondo to track my walks to see the time they take, distance and calories burned and when I do take walks my calorie intake on mfp goes up so do I have to eat more calories on the days when I do exercise?
My regular daily intake is 1400-1500kkal as calculated by my doctor.

Replies

• bullencraig
    Options
    Some people do eat back every single calorie they haev burned and some dont.
    I did when I first started myfitnesspal but now i dont and that seems to work for me.

I was told it was trial and error and to see which works for you.

I know that once I had cut all the crap out of my diet and then gone and played badminton for an hour trying to eat back 800 calories lost doing the badminton i found quite hard.

Now I know that every week we play badminton at the same time each week so I eat a little more through out that day so my final calorie count after badminton isnt quite as low.

Endomondo works quite well for walks. I use it when taking the dog for a walk although it can sometimes be slow updating mfp.
  • spendsitwell
    spendsitwell Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You should eat a little more on days you exercise. I usually will try to eat back half the calories I burn by exercise. You want to make sure your body has enough food to keep your body going and prevent going. So people eat all the calories back others don't. I think its kind of a personal decision. Just my opinion. :-)
  • janajons
    janajons Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks for your input :)

My walks aren't often very long but I live in a neighbourhood where there are a lot of steep hills and i'm pushing a 7.2kg baby in a pram so i'm burning a few calories. I just find that the calorie burn is "too precious" to eat them back. I'm burning maybe 300-500kkal per walk, depends on my daughters mood ;)

I've been eating them back a bit if I go over 350.. but not all of them. I just don't want to do anything that messes up my system and keeps me from losing weight, want to be sensible about this :) no crash dieting or exercising, this is permanent.