Anyone UK based recommend a HMR watch?

Options
To make sure I'm not under/over estimating calories I burn off I want to buy a HRM - though preferably just a watch as I'd ideally use it also on walks as well as in the gym.

Anyone in the UK recommend any watches that do the job? It doesn't have to be expensive (I am a student!) or particularly attractive either!

Thank you! :smile:

Replies

• chigau_me
    Options
    i'm going to order hrm this week, i'm deciding between polar FT2 or FT4 - they are not too expensive, and my MFP friends who use those are very happy with them
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar F4 & love it.
    Have had cheaper options but wished I'd used the money for the Polar instead !!!
    It has a chest strap but, I could be wrong, I have been told you get more of an accurate reading with a strap. Once you've worn it a few times you get used to it & I wear it in the gym, running, & for walks & cycling with the kids

It's Brilliant

Good luck xxx
  • BigG1978
    BigG1978 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar RS100 and it's great, does exactly what you are after, although any Polar HRM will.

Depends on budget and what 'extra' bit and bobs you're after (whether you want it to upload to PC etc) but generally £60 will get you what you are after.

The other option is also a Bluetooth Polar Strap that transmits to your smartphone and links to apps, which logs and tracks everything, and at around the same price this may be the way to go!

Good luck - a HRM is defo worth it.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You need one with a chest strap to get any degree of accuracy. I have a Polar FT7 recommended. I use it for gym, walking, cycling.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    By "just a watch" do you mean without a chest strap? If so, those are best avoided and you'd be better off using MFP's estimates. Polar FT4 is the go-to model, but if you want a cheap good enough alternative, Sweatshop do a decent own-brand one for around £20.

Bear in mind that you will only get a reasonably accurate reading doing steady-state cardio, not weight training, intervals or through-day activity, and even water resistant models do not transmit well through water when swimming.

Alternatively, if you don't want to faff about, something like a FitBit is good for measuring through-day activity and exercise, and synchs with MFP automatically.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305 or 405
  • katherinelangley
    Options
    Polar model it is then! Thanks for all the advice! :smile: