How to make smoothie thick and creamy?

Options
I want to make a high protein oatmeal, chocolate, peanut butter and Greek yogurt smoothie but i want it to be really thick and creamy. I know how to, but sometimes it gets too thin because when I make it thick, there isn't as much as I'd like so i add more liquid but then it gets watery. I don't want to add anymore oatmeal flour that I make for the add calories and carbs unless I know I'm going to really workout harder than usual that day.

What are some good chocolate protein powders that would make an oatmeal smoothie turn out thick and creamy that don't cost a lot? I was thinking 5 Star chocolate Whey protein powder but heard it sucks...? Maybe I'll try it for myself till I can afford and better kind.

Replies

• tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Frozen fruit (especially bananas) will help. Ice, too, though you have to drink it a bit quicker before it melts and gets too liquid-y. Also, if you put the greek yogurt in the freezer the night before (or a few hours, whatever) that will help, too. You can put 1-2 tablespoons of yogurt on a baking sheet or into an ice cube tray, then put that in the freezer and once the yogurt freezes, put it in a plastic bag and keep it in the freezer to add to smoothies. (For reference, 8 tablespoons, or about 4 ice-cubes is 1/2 C).
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Also, I use the lifetime brand (peak performance, I think it's called) protein powder. I usually use vanilla, but the chocolate is good, too.
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can also add frozen mango, kiwi or blueberries. These should help to thicken it.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I always make the smoothie the night before so it sits in the fridge and that helps, but i love it really thick and creamy. Thank you for the ideas :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I use the milling blade on my magic bullet to pulverize flaxseeds and use all frozen fruits to make my smooothies thick.
    I don't like 'em runny or thin:noway: . I like mine the texture of a Wendy's frosty :love:
  • cherry5oda
    cherry5oda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Xanthan gum.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I agree with the frozen fruit, peel and freeze your bananas.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Milk/Heavy cream/ice cream
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    yogurt!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Add Greek yogurt... Thick and creamy... Adds protein too. Fage would be great! X
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drink smoothies every morning and the one thing that makes them rich and creamy is avocado. I add in 1/4 of an avocado to my smoothie and it's great. You can't taste it, even though it has a slight sweet flavor, and it's got healthy fat.

I also use BSN Lean Whipped Vanilla Protein. Tastes delicious and makes the smoothie creamy.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Freeze some greek yogurt in an ice cube tray. When you over add your liquid, pop in a few of those too.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lots of things will work, like the previous responses, but the absolute best result will come from avocado. Sounds weird, but I dare someone to try it and tell me I'm wrong. :wink:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I want to make a high protein oatmeal, chocolate, peanut butter and Greek yogurt smoothie but i want it to be really thick and creamy. I know how to, but sometimes it gets too thin because when I make it thick, there isn't as much as I'd like so i add more liquid but then it gets watery. I don't want to add anymore oatmeal flour that I make for the add calories and carbs unless I know I'm going to really workout harder than usual that day.

What are some good chocolate protein powders that would make an oatmeal smoothie turn out thick and creamy that don't cost a lot? I was thinking 5 Star chocolate Whey protein powder but heard it sucks...? Maybe I'll try it for myself till I can afford and better kind.

I make mine with frozen fruit and find that helps to thicken it. If I make it in advance I'll put it in the freezer instead of the fridge.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Fiber. No joke. But make sure you add it JUST before you're going to drink it, or you will have goo on your hands!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I find the type of powder is irrelevant. Cottage cheese helps a lot, but you really need something frozen in there. Partially frozen fruit, or some ice cubes, or both.

Here's my favorite that comes out so thick, you can stand a knife in it:

1c milk
    1 scoop powder
    1/4c cottage cheese or greek yogurt
    1 1/2c frozen fruit, partially defrosted (I like various berries)
    3 ice cubes (lots more if fruit is thawed)

All of the ingredients interact. The powder, plus the bits of ice, and the fruit allows it to aerate significantly.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You can add more yogurt ... I find a full fat yogurt helps to make it creamy.

Body Fortress Chocolate protein powder makes a thick drink. I'm not super fond of the taste alone but mixed with other things it is pretty good. You can buy a big tub of it at Walmart for about $25... sometimes $20 as they tend to have it on sale often.
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thick and creamy are 2 different things. Some of the suggestions to thicken will not make it creamy... just FYI. Although I love cottage cheese in a smoothie, not if I am going for creamy. Thick and tasty, absolutely. Same thing psyllium and chia seeds. Thicken yes, but they add a texture and consistency that is def not creamy, so just keep that in mind.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Avocado, chia seeds, frozen anything will help.