Losing inches, gaining weight

Options
The good news is I'm slowly losing inches around my abdomen (which is where I carry most of my excess weight). The bad news is I've gained about 2 pounds in the last two weeks.

I'm only doing cardio and Pilates at this time. I'm going to check out a gym either today or tomorrow. I didn't want to start at a gym until I knew I was committed to getting in shape and staying that way. I do an hour's worth of cardio almost every day, and according to my HRM burn around 400 calories. I guess my question is, am I building muscle in my legs? My husband says the cellulite on the back of my thighs is almost gone. So I looked, and he was right.

I'm practically obsessive about recording what I eat, and measuring it. Saturday was the only day that I didn't finish recording, and even then I didn't go over by much, certainly not enough to gain two pounds.

So if you can tell me that the scale going up is normal, I'd feel a lot better.

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bumping, because I'd like to see an answer to this as well.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Completely normal.
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Use inches to track your progress, not the scales :)
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.

No, a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle.
    Same as a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of concrete - a pound :tongue:

However I agree that you're probably seeing a rise in weight as you are building muscle in your legs.
    Or maybe you are close to time of the month?

If you are seeing your belly shrink, I wouldn't worry at all, you are obviously doing something right so keep it up!
  • GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Same as a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of concrete - a pound :tongue:

However I agree that you're probably seeing a rise in weight as you are building muscle in your legs.

If you are seeing your belly shrink, I wouldn't worry at all, you are obviously doing something right so keep it up!
    The statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is not incorrect. You can make it sound wrong by saying "a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle", but you can also interpret it as "a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat". It's just how you interpret it. Basically stop being pedantic. Everyone knows what was meant!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is well within the noise level of the human body when it comes to mass. You might well be losing body mass, but it just doesn't show on the scale yet.
  • jonnythan
    Options

The statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is not incorrect. You can make it sound wrong by saying "a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle", but you can also interpret it as "a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat". It's just how you interpret it. Basically stop being pedantic. Everyone knows what was meant!

This is not an argument you can win. Muscle is more dense than fat, but muscle does not weigh more than fat - it weighs more than fat per unit volume. These are not the same thing.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Jesus people...

First...
    Yes, we get it. 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle. The implication is volume. 1 cubic foot of muscle does in fact weigh more than 1 cubic foot of fat. Alternatively, 1lb of muscle takes up less volume/space than 1lb of fat. Doesn't everyone know this? Isn't the volume part inplied? Do we really need to spell this out every damn post? Good lord...

Second...
    An increase in muscle isn't why she is seeing a 2lb gain. God. Could she possibly be gaining muscle? It's possible, but not likely. Giving her the benefit of the doubt, let's say she is. She sure as hell isn't gaining 1lb/week.

Scale weight is incredibly inconsistent and influenced by a number of different factors. Stop basing your progress on scale weight, ESPECIALLY when you are seeing progress in your measurements.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Isn't the volume part inplied? Do we really need to spell this out every damn post? Good lord...

No, I don't think it's implied.

It's not like it's so much easier to say "muscle weighs more than fat" than it is to say "muscle is more dense than fat." One is correct and the other doesn't make any sense.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later!
  • zampi03
    zampi03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you've lost .5 lbs of fat and gained 1 lbs of muscle, then you will see a rise on the scales of .5 lb.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    2 pounds is well within the noise level of the human body when it comes to mass.

I'm gonna keep telling myself this until I believe it!:wink:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The scale going up is NORMAL. Exercise can cause you to retain some water (you are NOT putting on muscle, I'm sorry to tell you), but that's ok, because...

LOSING INCHES = YOU WON! :flowerforyou:
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some people are childish enough to try to use the argument "one pound is one pound" everyone knows what he meant and he is correct. This is a support forum. Don't turn it in to yet another haven for the low end of the internet.

Muscle is 70% water and, as a result, is a relatively heavy tissue—much heavier than fat. On the flip side, fat takes up much more space than muscle, actually three times as much. So when you lose a little fat and replace it with a little muscle, the scale will probably say you’ve gained weight because muscle weighs more than fat. But as you have seen your size will decrease because the muscle takes up less space.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So when you lose a little fat and replace it with a little muscle, the scale will probably say you’ve gained weight because muscle weighs more than fat. But as you have seen your size will decrease because the muscle takes up less space.

See, this is the problem with saying "muscle weighs more than fat." This part of the post is nonsensical. It implies that if you lose fat and replace it with an equivalent volume of muscle you will have gained weight. Well.. yeah, but that's not something that happens. The volume of fat you lose is completely unrelated to the volume of muscle you build or don't build.

If you lose a little fat and gain a little muscle, your actual mass could go up, down, or unchanged. Mass is mass; volume is a different concept altogether. Treating these concepts as interchangeable leads to nonsensical statements like "if you lose fat and replace it with muscle you will be heavier."
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're just strengthening up the muscles that you are using with your increased activity. Working your core in your torso has significant effects to how your abdomen looks in a resting position. When it is strong it is like a girdle, someone that has never gained any weight can look bigger as they age if they don't keep their core strengthened because the muscles don't hold everything nice and tight.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Isn't the volume part inplied? Do we really need to spell this out every damn post? Good lord...

It's not like it's so much easier to say "muscle weighs more than fat" than it is to say "muscle is more dense than fat." One is correct and the other doesn't make any sense.

i always felt like it was implied.
  • jonnythan
    Options

i always felt like it was implied.

If everyone felt that way, it would never come up as a topic of discussion ;)
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    WOW I certainly didn't mean to change the thread from helping the OP to a thread about what weighs more etc...:embarassed:

:laugh: CALM DOWN PEOPLE!! :laugh:

Lets just focus on the OP's original post, yes?
    Someone quite rightly pointed out this is supposed to be a website for support so lets get back to that.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When you first start exercising please don't weigh yourself for the first 7 weeks. Your muscles will retain fluids while your torn muscle fibers repair. This will continue until your muscles learn to compensate for the exercises by becoming stronger, leaner, more efficient fat burning machines.
  • laa83laa
    laa83laa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I started a DVD program 3 weeks ago and have only seen the scale either stay the same or go up 1-1.5 lbs... BUT I have lost 1/2" off my natural waist, and another 1/2" off my waist at my belly button... my thighs I think have gone down .5-1" as well.. but the scale isn't matching up.... it's so frustrating!!! ugh.