Losing inches, gaining weight

Options
2»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    When you first start exercising please don't weigh yourself for the first 7 weeks.

!
  • laa83laa
    laa83laa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    PS - my profile pic on my page is from when I started my DVD to 2 weeks into it... there is a bit of a noticeable difference I guess but, again, the scale is complete opposite! grrr
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So when you lose a little fat and replace it with a little muscle, the scale will probably say you’ve gained weight because muscle weighs more than fat. But as you have seen your size will decrease because the muscle takes up less space.

See, this is the problem with saying "muscle weighs more than fat." This part of the post is nonsensical. It implies that if you lose fat and replace it with an equivalent volume of muscle you will have gained weight. Well.. yeah, but that's not something that happens. The volume of fat you lose is completely unrelated to the volume of muscle you build or don't build.

No, no one implies that, you just like to infer it so you can correct people. All these posts are about losing inches but gaining weight (or losing inches and weight remaining steady) NECESSARILY mean the volumes aren't equivalent.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Isn't the volume part inplied? Do we really need to spell this out every damn post? Good lord...

No, I don't think it's implied.

It's not like it's so much easier to say "muscle weighs more than fat" than it is to say "muscle is more dense than fat." One is correct and the other doesn't make any sense.

i always felt like it was implied.

I've always felt it is implied as well. It's a conversational expression, not the thesis of a scientific research paper.
    If everyone felt that way, it would never come up as a topic of discussion ;)

Not true. some people feel the need to nitpick semantics even though they immediately knew the meaning of what was expressed. I think it makes them feel smart and slightly better than others even though it actually makes them come across as a little bit sad.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No, no one implies that, you just like to infer it so you can correct people. All these posts are about losing inches but gaining weight (or losing inches and weight remaining steady) NECESSARILY mean the volumes aren't equivalent.

I'm not even the one who brought it up in the first place.

The rest of your post doesn't even make sense. If someone did lose a volume of fat and gained an equivalent volume of muscle, they would lose inches and gain weight, so I have no idea how you decided it necessarily means the volumes aren't equivalent.

This whole discussion doesn't even make sense. It's not like we know that anyone, least of all the OP, is even gaining muscle in the first place. That's a big assumption.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I give.

OP... body weight fluctuations naturally due to a variety of factors. 2lbs is well within that natural fluctuations. If you are seeing progress with your measurements, I wouldn't get too worked up over what the scale does or doesn't say.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Keep tracking what you eat and keep exercising. A loss of inches is an accomplishment far greater than seeing a smaller number on the scale. The 2 lbs is probably just food and water inside your body. It takes 24 hours for food to fully leave your body. So if you eat everyday- there is always some of your food inside you and depending on what you eat it will always change. :smile: Now if you see a 10 lbs difference up or down you know your plan is working / not working. If you gain that much you must be eating too much or tracking incorrectly. The exercise you are doing is awesome and keep it up!!
  • SophieA9083
    Options
    I know how you feel, it feels like what I am doing isn't paying off, I put on half a kilo last week and I know it's nothing to really worry about but the doctors want me to loose weight not inches apparently!
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can't believe some people are childish enough to try to use the argument "one pound is one pound" everyone knows what he meant and he is correct. This is a support forum. Don't turn it in to yet another haven for the low end of the internet.

Muscle is 70% water and, as a result, is a relatively heavy tissue—much heavier than fat. On the flip side, fat takes up much more space than muscle, actually three times as much. So when you lose a little fat and replace it with a little muscle, the scale will probably say you’ve gained weight because muscle weighs more than fat. But as you have seen your size will decrease because the muscle takes up less space.

THIS

Standing ovation!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    It is normal. Although you are not building muscle right now, you are burning fat. The wieght gain you are seeing is probably water retention which is a result of many things - hard work out - muscles repairing themselves, hormons amount of sodium etc.

Don't worry about the scale, it will catch up.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    OP here:

Thank you for all the encouragement and advice. I really didn't mean for this topic to turn into beating a dead horse (muscle-fat and all that stuff).

I will keep plugging away. :smile: