Kettleball advice

Options
Hi I have been reading up on the internet and am thinking of getting myself a kettle ball. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice / answers to my questions.

What weight should I start with? I am pretty strong and make strength gains quickly so don’t want to start too light but equally, I am concerned that if I don’t start light enough I won’t be able to use it. I was considering 10 lbs.

Can you recommend any good DVDs / youtube links for how to use it? There is a lot on youtube but I don’t know how good it is and I don’t want to do myself an injury by following bad advice.

In terms of logging this as exercise what is the best thing on the mfp database? I don’t have a HRM and can’t really afford to buy one for at least a couple of months.

Replies

• GluttonousGirl
    GluttonousGirl Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just started as well. I purchase a 12 lb. Kettlebell. Form is very important so you don't hurt yourself. You can go on YouTube and find plenty of videos to help you learn proper form for each move. I have several books as well on my kindle. Kettlebell for woman is great. As far as calories I am questioning that as well. I have read you burn 20 calories per minute but that seems very general.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Look for RKC videos on YouTube.
    http://breakingmuscle.com/workout-of-the-day has a great RKC workout of the day posted twice a week.

As for the weight, we have no idea of what you mean by "pretty strong." My wife is starting with a 10 pound and a 20 pound.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My kettlebells are 8kg, so right about 20 pounds.

Too light are useless.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    For a woman that is used to strength training, I'd consider 12kg.

You've been reading the wrong part of the internet, try http://breakingmuscle.com/news-articles/kettlebells
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will look at those links.

12kg might be OK - I guess if it's too heavy I can always get a lighter one and progress to the heavier one when I am ready whereas if it's too light then it's just a waste.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Wow. I need to upgrade. Mine's only 5kg :laugh:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    As I narrowly dodged a date with the Grim Reaper due to someone swinging one round like a handbag and forgetting to hold on at the top as I minded my own business on the bike this morning;

Don't do it. That's my advice.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I use 35 lb most of the time & 55 lb if I'm doing fewer reps. Give yourself some credit and buy a heavier kettlebell. It'll be worth it. :)
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Dragondoor.com and any videos with Pavel Tsatsouline, for women the video From Russia w Tough Love also Iron Core vids. Proper form is stressed more than anything else. Go with anything that says they are RKC trained, that shows they have been certified to train kettlebells specifically.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are an amazing form of exercise but it's important to understand a few things about it:

1. Start out with an 8kg kettlebell or more. Anything lighter than that should probably not be in production. It's been proven that using a bell that's too light makes it impossible to perform exercises with proper form, and most anyone physically capable of using one can use AT LEAST an 8kg. That is the minimum recommended starting weight for women by the RKC.

2. Regarding kettlebell workout DVDs, most of them are crap and the people in them demonstrate improper form. The only exceptions I can think of are ones featuring Michael Skogg, Pavel Tsatsouline, or the youtube instructor on the channel kitty8tim. Avoid anything featuring Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, and most anything that seems like it's being marketed at women. Most of these are not true, orthodox kettlebell workouts but rather feature people using too-light kettlebells in aerobic cardio sessions in the same manner as dumbbell hand weights.

3. Pay for a single trainer session to go through instruction on form. Most kettlebell exercises stem from the basic swing which you can severely screw up your back doing if your form is anything less than perfect. A DVD will not correct your form. A trainer will. And make sure the trainer has been certified to teach kettlebells. If this is not an option due to lack of availability of a certified trainer in your area, get the Skogg System DVDs or watch Pavel's instructional videos on youtube.
  • mgpinizzotto
    Options
    Contingencypl is giving you the best advice. Go with that. It is an incredible form of exercise, start slow and work up reps and weight. Pavel is the one to watch and FORM IS INCREDIBLY important. You can really hurt yourself without proper form...

Definitely take one session with a trainer agreed:) Good luck and it is a great burn...if done right I believe its about 400 calories in 20 minutes.