30 Day Shred May 30th - June 30th Support

Options

Replies

• lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the wonderful ladies wanting to join our group! I say ladies because I didn't see any fellas jumping on to the Shred, but if I missed ya welcome :laugh: :drinker:

I am so excited to start! My DVD is supposed to arrive today via USPS...that's assuming that the USPS doesn't lose my stuff like they usually do. How hard is it to figure out apartment mailboxes, really? :grumble:

Can't wait to join the past generations of shredders :laugh:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Uh-oh. I only have 2 pound weights. :( Is it okay if I start with those?
  • jenifergotti
    jenifergotti Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I tried to run today after doing the first day of the shred yesterday! My knees are KILLING me!!! I made it the 2 miles, but every second hurt! I don't know if anyone else has had knee pain with the shred?? I feel really good everywhere else, sore- but a good sore! I could only do 2 push-ups at a time though! Ughh :( Good luck to everyone starting tomorrow! Let's do this!
  • BGent
    BGent Posts: 112
    Options

It is better to start with lighter weights, you can always buy 5 lbs. later once you feel ready to use heavier weights.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yay! My copy arrived this morning, so I'll certainly be all set for a Sunday start! :happy:

I was planning on having a trial-run today before we start for real...but I just got home from being totally hammered at a very intense 1hr and a half game of badminton so I'm a little knackered to give it a go...want to be fresh for my first try!

Really looking forward to the shred though - hopefully this will be just what I need to shock my body into skinny-tummy action! So happy I've found this group, I imagine as you're doing this at home it'd be easier to give up otherwise with no-one checking up on you! :blushing: That's why I usually do spinning etc, once I've booked I feel a total wimp having to cancel! But I love the sound of the freedom of just 20/30 mins a day - so you can still do a regular gym workout, (or couch to 5k as I am feebly struggling through at the mo!) in addition.

Bring on tomorrow! x
  • Redneckwoman
    Redneckwoman Posts: 668 Member
    Options

The frist time I started the shred I was using cans of corn for my weights,:laugh: :laugh: until I could get some weights. Now I use 3 lb weights. So ofcourse your 2 lb weights will work just fine.:flowerforyou:

Kel:heart:
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    Uh Oh, I just realized that May 30th is actually tomorrow. And there I was, wondering why everybody was starting tomorrow! Well I guess I am starting tomorrow as well then. Holy guacamole!!!! :laugh:
  • Anna_15
    Anna_15 Posts: 22
    Options

I have 1kg weights (2.2 lbs?) and they seem to challenge me just fine, I think it's a really good idea to work up from smaller weights than start with something big! You don't want any nasty injuries after all.
  • Anna_15
    Anna_15 Posts: 22
    Options
    Okay, so I tried to run today after doing the first day of the shred yesterday! My knees are KILLING me!!! I made it the 2 miles, but every second hurt! I don't know if anyone else has had knee pain with the shred??

Hey :-) I used to have a bit of knee pain after running but I actually found that (despite what I was warned about in many reviews online) the shred actually HELPED with my knees!! I think there is a certain "proper" way to warm up your knees, and then the exercises have to be performed properly (i.e. knee doesn't go over the toes during lunges, wearing proper shoes for star jumps). It could just be me but I have noticed a significant improvement in my knees!
    It may be because of taking proper rests (listen to your body) or just because I am quite young that my knees seem to have recovered well. But I definitely think form is key for these exercises. What stretching do you do before you run? And after?

Anna
  • lexistepps
    Options
    So I got my DVD in the mail today and got SO excited that I just had to do a test run today...holy crud!

Level 1 is harrrrd....it's doable, but it's not easy that's for sure! Wore my brand new /HRM and let me tell you...after 27 minutes with Jillian I burned 212 calories....oh my!

It's not as many as I burn with my elliptical workouts, but then my elliptical workouts are doing nothing to tone me up either ;)

I am so excited to get going with this program! Woot!
  • gcgrl788
    gcgrl788 Posts: 30
    Options
    27 minutes? Isn't it a 20 minutes work out? I've done it for 3 days so far and have only been putting 20 minutes of circuit it in for my exercise log.
  • lexistepps
    Options
    27 minutes? Isn't it a 20 minutes work out? I've done it for 3 days so far and have only been putting 20 minutes of circuit it in for my exercise log.
    [/quote

Well my HRM said 27 minutes of exercise for 212 calories soooo lol
  • BGent
    BGent Posts: 112
    Options
    The 20 minutes doesn't include the warm up and cool down. :)
  • dragonflies4me
    dragonflies4me Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've had the DVD for about a week and kept deciding whether to keep it or not. I have a bad ankle and a bad knee so I was deciding whether I could do it or not. They aren't horrible, and I see the contestants on the biggest loser running, jumping, etc. so I figured I should just give it a try and maybe after some time, it would actually help if I worked them out. It was $10, but even $10 isn't really in our budget right now, so I didn't want to open it till I was sure. I did day 1 this morning and it kicked my butt. Didn't feel sore till about an hour or two later. Now I'm pretty darn sore! My knee bothered me a tiny bit during the jumping jacks and my ankle just felt a little off during the whole thing, but didn't hurt. So, so far so good!

Here's my stats (I need to do a siggy!):

SW (5/24/10): 169
    CW (5/29/10): 166.5
    GW: 140

Oh, and I'm Jenn :)
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I ike to join. I have been doing it for a week. I burn between 91 and 135 on my HRM. I really struggle to get my heart rate up. I only really get it going during the cardio parts abs and strength are tough and feel great but don't get my heart rate up. I do like it. I am also doing ChaLean extreme so by the time I have done both I can feel it.
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    I bought this DVD yesterday at Target... will be starting tomorrow!!! I am nervous and scared!! haha I dont know why. I don't really exercise much so this will be new for me. But with this group I think I can get through it!

Water! Water! Water! Water!!!
  • MegKacz
    MegKacz Posts: 57
    Options
    [/quote

Well my HRM said 27 minutes of exercise for 212 calories soooo lol

What kind of heart rate monitor do you own? I've been thinking about purchasing one for quite some time.
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    Just complete Day 1 of the Shred, Level 1!!!

I am proud and exhausted. Red as a lobster, drenched and knackered but happy.

It wasn't too bad actually. You have to push yourself but the rotation of cardio, strength, abs keeps you going, no time to think and maximum burn as a result. It goes by very fast, it's only 20 minutes after all.

Best circuit training EVER. Never had to push myself so much even at a level 1 training of this type. I am more beat and worked out than after 1 full hour of brisk walk/jogg on the treadmill so this is great fitness value for 20 minutes (27 with warm up and cooldown).

I took a few 5 seconds breaks to keep going without dying. Good idea to keep some water + a towel handy.

I did it!!! So can you :glasses:
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I only use 0.68kg (about 1.5lb) weights. It depends how huge you want your muscles to be. My small weights are definitely enough to keep me sweating. I have heavier but don't want to progress because I think that would be too difficult.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    i just ordered this!!! =]
    so tell me its 30 days? no days off????
    and do u work out at all otherwise or is there no need?
    i saw awesome reviews on youtube as well and i was like I GOTTA HAVE IT!
    im in good shape but i need some toning .. and im bored with the gym.