5:2 diet

Options

Replies

• WillowBreeze
    Options
    can someone share a link to the facebook page? pretty please :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Requires hard work and dedication.
    If you're weak and most likely to give up easily then don't even start this diet because you'll end up craving all kinds of food that you like.
    Don't even think about starting with this starvation diet when you're looking for muscle gains because your final result will be concluded as muscle loss.
    Keep it simple; eat 5 meals a day and work out regularly, keep your calorie intake 500 kcal below your TDEE, then patiently wait for the results to come.

Hiya. You are incorrect. when you say this is a 'starvation diet' I love 5:2 and I have no will power whatsoever. ;-) I enjoy the fast days and even find I have more energy than on 'feed' days. Many people think they will overindulge after a fast day. I thought I would but I don't. I find my appetite has changed and I no longer ten to just eat and eat for the sake of it. There is no reason you would experience muscle loss and the additional health benefits (other than weightloss) are well documented and researched. Check out the science behind this approach to eating before telling people things about it that simply aren't true. Here's a link to the documentary featuring Dr. Michael Mosely that explains why this is a very healthy and relatively easy 'diet' (I hate caling it a diet because I hate faddy diets. This isn't one. I love it!). Even if you don't think intermittent fasting is for you, it's still interesting viewing. :smile: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms?fb_action_ids=10151299172292643&fb_action_typ

Actually, you are incorrect. If you read Dr. Michael Mosely's book The Fast Diet (the correct title of this fad diet), you will find that he freely admits there is little evidence or research in the field of intermittent fasting as it is still in it's infancy.

Through out the book he clearly puts it that it is an anecdotal story of a diet he made up for himself to try out as an experiment.

Hello. I saw the results he got from doing the 5:2 approach on the documentary. I have also seen the results of many other people eating in this manner. I know first hand that I feel and look better since starting this way of eating. I feel very happy doing it and intend to keep doing it. So while the research may be in it's infancy. M.M's results are fantastic as are mine and many other people's so I'll keep going. Any 'experiment' that is resulting in the positive benefits I am experiencing is something I am delighted to be part of... I'm fasting today and feel great. :smile: Having said all that, if it doesn't appeal to you/others I'm not going to jump down your throat about it... But I just wanted to be clear that it isn't a necessarily really difficult nor does it involve 'starvation' or loss of muscle. Take care, T,
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Apart from my childish 'fad' dig, I was only just against the well documented and researched comment that I thought was misrepresenting the diet.

It is true that it is unlikely that muscle loss would be more than other diets of similar deficit as you said and I don't have a problem with IF or the people that do them.
    I do have a problem with Mosley's approach of delivery of his idea for a diet though, and I think people should be warned that there is a danger for those that have had eating disorders in the past, or indeed them triggering an underlying disorder such as binge eating (a warning most other IF diets/articles issue).

The other issue, as you can see on this page, is that the vast majority of posts I've seen concerning this diet on MFP is that people are fasting 2 days AND restricting their calories via MFP the rest of the week.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've started it today.. And I'm only logging on fast days from now on (to endable me to calculate calories). I'm pretty sure I know what a healthy days food looks like by now so am going to trust my instincts the rest of the time... Surely the point fasting two days a week is that you can go a bit easier on yourself the rest of the time??

Yes, the theory is that you get your weekly deficit during the two fast days. You're not supposed to be doing two diets at the same time.
    It was the health benefits of IF Mosley was looking for, rather than weight loss per se.

^^ Agree 100%. And I love your dog.
  • Missi3601
    Options
    bump
  • TeresaB1979
    Options
    Apart from my childish 'fad' dig, I was only just against the well documented and researched comment that I thought was misrepresenting the diet.

It is true that it is unlikely that muscle loss would be more than other diets of similar deficit as you said and I don't have a problem with IF or the people that do them.
    I do have a problem with Mosley's approach of delivery of his idea for a diet though, and I think people should be warned that there is a danger for those that have had eating disorders in the past, or indeed them triggering an underlying disorder such as binge eating (a warning most other IF diets/articles issue).

The other issue, as you can see on this page, is that the vast majority of posts I've seen concerning this diet on MFP is that people are fasting 2 days AND restricting their calories via MFP the rest of the week.

In fairness I trotted out that 'well documented..' line without thinking. I suppose I should have said Mosely's results are well documented. :wink:

I see what you mean about eating disorders but I would tend to think that if people have underlying issues they could be triggered by any diet. I suppose warning people is not a bad idea though.

With regard to people calorie counting on the other days I have to admit I am guilty. I am more curious than anything to see how my weekly intake pans out but I am logging at the end of the day (having eaten what I was happy to) rather than willfully counting every morsel). I intend after a while to stop doing that once I am content I am not overcompensating (which I am seeing already that I don't seem to at all).

As with anything I suppose people will always try to put their own slant on it. But yeah, you're right- we're not supposed to calorie count. But old habits die hard and all that.

What I really wanted to get across is that fasting for two days is not nearly as scary as I thought it would be, it's oddly enjoyable and after a short amount of time I am seeing/feeling positive results.

I hope you haven't fallen asleep there... I'm rambling a bit now. :blushing:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    With regard to people calorie counting on the other days I have to admit I am guilty. I am more curious than anything to see how my weekly intake pans out but I am logging at the end of the day (having eaten what I was happy to) rather than willfully counting every morsel). I intend after a while to stop doing that once I am content I am not overcompensating (which I am seeing already that I don't seem to at all).

IMO, if you are trying to lose weight on 5:2 - you may have to calorie count a bit - especially if you are coming from overeating.

It's still calories in - calories out.

But you should not unduly restrict your calories. So, doing an MFP -2#/week restriction on top of 2 fasts is probably too much. But, IMO, making sure that you are not eating 5000 calories/day for 5 days and trying to save that with 2 down days is probably wise.
  • TeresaB1979
    Options

IMO, if you are trying to lose weight on 5:2 - you may have to calorie count a bit - especially if you are coming from overeating.

It's still calories in - calories out.

But you should not unduly restrict your calories. So, doing an MFP -2#/week restriction on top of 2 fasts is probably too much. But, IMO, making sure that you are not eating 5000 calories/day for 5 days and trying to save that with 2 down days is probably wise.

I am just 'keeping and eye' on my cals at the moment because I am curious. It's all working out well so far. I don't intend to spend my life calorie counting though. Life's too short (well hopefully it'll be a little longer now :wink: ).
  • 2credneck208
    2credneck208 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Do you workout on your fast day? I would keel over if I did.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I did the first week of c25k fasted. If you have any blood sugar issues - this will clear that up. :)

It's actually not bad - I usually have extra energy on fast days anyway.
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I work out on fast days ( only done 3 as only on 2nd week ) I have loads more energy on my fast days .
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    If you're weak and most likely to give up easily then don't even start this diet because you'll end up craving all kinds of food that you like.
    Don't even think about starting with this starvation diet when you're looking for muscle gains because your final result will be concluded as muscle loss.
    Keep it simple; eat 5 meals a day and work out regularly, keep your calorie intake 500 kcal below your TDEE, then patiently wait for the results to come.

^^ listen to this guy
  • dayanna23
    dayanna23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I think I'm going to try that one!
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    p124 of MM's book

"Who shouldn't fast?

There are certain groups for whom fasting is not advised. Type 1 diabetics are included in this list, along with anyone suffering from an eating disorder. If you are already extremely lean, do no fast. Children should never fast"
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    p124 of MM's book

"Who shouldn't fast?

There are certain groups for whom fasting is not advised. Type 1 diabetics are included in this list, along with anyone suffering from an eating disorder. If you are already extremely lean, do no fast. Children should never fast"

Excellent. I didn't know that was there because I've not got to the Q & A section end of the book yet

We still have the issue of people not reading the book, which I guess he can't help. Maybe if we warn people ourselves, especially those posting his documentary which is causing/has caused many people to attempt the diet without enough information.
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it in every single thread where it has been discussed!
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have been on this diet for 3 weeks and lost 7lbs another 28 to go, enjoying the trip but find the 500 calories very hard to keep to I do go over sometimes. I like the idea that if dining out arises I can still diet on the other 2 days.( don!t like the word fast) I have had 2 chinese meals and still lost weight so I am happy, even if its my own interpretation of the 5.2 programme
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

^^ listen to this guy

Erm no - don't listen to this guy! He is misinformed.

It's not that hard - easier to be "good" for one day at a time rather than 7 days a week.
    Does not produce any particular cravings - why would it?
    Not a starvation diet.
    Will not result in muscle loss anymore than any other calorie restriction. Probably less likely as you should be eating normally 5 days a week.
    Absolutely no reason for eating 5 meals a day apart from personal choice.

Debate is one thing but it's far better to do some research first. Fasting in all its various forms is done by millions of people for various reasons with no adverse effects.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Beyond the research, I think most of this comes down to what works for the particular person, even just temperamentally. I can see how someone might want to do this for a limited amount of time, but in terms of sustainability, what happens once you "get there". Let's say you lose all the weight you want - do you stay on that diet for the rest of time (assuming not), and how do you then develop a sustainable maintenance routine? For me, when I feel "deprived" is when I am most likely to go off good nutrition, and for me being strict is keeping sodium low and sugar in check in addition to meeting calorie targets. My family has a history of diabetes as well so I have had better results through other alternatives.

I also think if you have children who might have issues with body issues seeing you eat only 500 calories in a day might not be a good thing.

When I wanted to lose a lot of weight I got strict with diet and did a lot of cardio. Then incorporated strength training on top of it and that really made a huge difference. But to each his/her own. I have certainly had my share of slip ups :)

Good luck!