Completed my first 5K !!

2»

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Wonderful success story!!! The first 5 km is the best! I saw Phoenix park last summer. My first time ever in Dublin and it truly was a wonderful experience!
  • Congratulations!! Absolutely amazing!
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    GOOD FOR YOU!!! GREAT job!!!!

I walked 3 5K's last year between March and October. Fastest time walking was 49 minutes (with an upper respiratory infection). I will be running my first 5K on my 43rd birthday in June.
    Excited and scared to death.

Congratulations on your accomplishment!!! Keep checking things off that list.... :happy:
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    eeeek have my first one on March 16th! This makes me so excited!!
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Thanks everyone. I was so so happy to get across that line. And to realise I can now actually say - Yes, I run!! Wow!!

I just have to work on NOT panicing about the breathing. If I don't think of it, I'm fine. Once I try to control it, I panic.. And then build up the distance. And finally build up the speed.
    Congratulations, that's awesome!! I'm registered for a 5k in 3 months and am a little worried. Did you find it difficult to make the transition from treadmill to outdoors? I'm concerned about training on the treadmill and then having a completely different experience once I hit the pavement outside. It's too cold here to be outside right now so the treadmill will have to do.

That was one of my big fears. Outside - how hard was the change going to be. I think because I was running with 5,000 other people, they give you motiviation to keep going. And if you can manage to find a pace maker - even if they aren't an offical one - try to stay with them. My problem is speed. If I'm on my own, I tear off like a lunatic and after my first 100m I'm pooped.. It was so much easier to get a good pace without speeding in the group. And everyone is there doing what you are doing and feeling pretty much what you are feeling. The runners (the guys who figured they could run the whole thing) got sent off first. The Runner/Walkers got sent off 5 mins later. I was in the Runner / Walker group. We did suffer. We did our best and everyone gave support to everyone else.

I'll definitely be aiming to do another one. Next goal is run 5k without walking - even if it takes me 60 mins.

I'm just so chuffed that in the space of 8 weeks, I've literally gone from my couch to taking part in a 5k.

Honestly - go for it. So what if you have to walk a bit. So what if it takes an hour.. Just to be able to say - yip - I've done a 5k! is just fantastic..
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Welcome to the club!!! LOL

Be forewarned. . .racing is addicting. I started with the goal of just jogging a full 5k and within 3 months of acheiving that goal I started training for my first half marathon. . .at age 40!

Before I logged back in here, I was looking for 10k races to fit in between my 2 half marathons this racing season. I have 4 lined up so far!!

Enjoy the ride. Feel proud of what you've accomplished. Don't back down!!!
  • Congrats!! My first 5k is Saturday, I'm so nervous!!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Congrats! Be proud of completing the 5K, no matter than you walked a bit. You will run the whole thing next time. I just know it.
  • Solly123
    Welcome to the club!!! LOL

Be forewarned. . .racing is addicting. I started with the goal of just jogging a full 5k and within 3 months of acheiving that goal I started training for my first half marathon. . .at age 40!

Before I logged back in here, I was looking for 10k races to fit in between my 2 half marathons this racing season. I have 4 lined up so far!!

Enjoy the ride. Feel proud of what you've accomplished. Don't back down!!!

Eh, not sure I'll sign up for a half marathon just yet!! Although I am still on a high 2 days after my 5k - so what must a half marathon high be like!!

Birthday tomorrow - 44 yrs on this beautiful earth.. Managed to tick the 5k box just before the birthday.. Good present to myself me thinks....

If I'm ever mad enough to sign up for a half, I'll be blaming you!! Lol....:laugh:
  • Solly123
    Congrats!! My first 5k is Saturday, I'm so nervous!!!

Don't be. Honestly, everyone there is in the same boat. Just get into the rythym and go. I got huge motivation from the other runners. While I was walking after the 4k mark, I was trying to beat myself up to run again. I saw people passing me - they were breathing heavy, some were barely going faster than walk, you could see the sweat coming through peoples clothes - and that gave me the motivation. They were feeling as shattered and wrecked as I was, but they were still running. That made me run..

Honestly, its fantastic. And the best thing - the pain of running for 5k is nothing to the high you get when you cross that line at the end. Go out there and savour victory!!
  • di1428
    di1428 Posts: 165 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story!!

i know exactly how you felt that first day...thought i was the only one who thought they
    were going to die jogging for a whole minute! lol
    i had only got thru 2 weeks of the program when the weather and snow got in my way but
    plan on restarting it soon...

Great work!!
  • regirom
    regirom Posts: 32 Member
    fantastic ! you must be really proud ! that is my dream: to complete a 5K !
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Congrats!!! Amazing what the body can do when you push it. I ran my first 5k on Thanksgiving 2012 and there is nothing like it.
  • Congrats! I'm doing my first one April 27th and you have me so excited now!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Congratulations!! I completed my first 5K November 10, 2012 and I loved it!
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    This is really good to read. I signed up for a 5k for March 9th and didnt really even think about it. Well it has snuck up on me!! I Tried to see what I could do at the gym on Sunday and went 5K in 48 min. So I need to get way better!
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Congratulations! I jsut finished the C25K Program, and feel so accomplished. I can't wait to run my first 5k race!

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
  • lorettakay
    lorettakay Posts: 46 Member
    Congratulations! It sounds very exciting, I hope to participate in one some day!
    :flowerforyou:
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    That's awesome!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!