Traveling and working LONG hours

Options
Help! I am looking for anyone who travels for work. I am a photographer and will be on my feet for about 15 hours a day for the next 3 Fridays and Saturdays with traveling both Thursdays and Sundays. Who else has done or does this and has found ways to keep the success going?

Any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    you should stay home more and chill out and have a drink or two, or 5.
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to travel a lot for work and it definitely can be problematic. The work-outs weren't such an issue (there are a ton of good body-weight only exercises that you can use just chilling in your hotel room) but the food could be problematic. If you have the luxury of knowing where you will be (town/city etc) I cannot stress enough how valuable doing your research in advance is.

I found as long as I knew where I was going ahead of time I could map out where I was going to eat for meals (Subway for lunch, Sushi for supper etc) and when work was done I would just follow that schedule. When I didn't do the research though, that was what got me into trouble because the last thing I wanted to do after working all day was to try to find a restaurant with 'healthy options' -- note the quotes because without the research this you are really just guessing!

If you can't research in advance, things are harder but try to stick to stuff you are already familiar with it possible (lol, I ate a LOT of Subway....).

Good luck!
  • mcsweetly
    mcsweetly Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The exercising isn't usually an issue since I am on my feet moving people & stools for about 10-15 hours a day, but found in the past that I just ate terribly. I am so dedicated now I don't want to lose my momentum.
    I used to travel a lot for work and it definitely can be problematic. The work-outs weren't such an issue (there are a ton of good body-weight only exercises that you can use just chilling in your hotel room) but the food could be problematic. If you have the luxury of knowing where you will be (town/city etc) I cannot stress enough how valuable doing your research in advance is.

I found as long as I knew where I was going ahead of time I could map out where I was going to eat for meals (Subway for lunch, Sushi for supper etc) and when work was done I would just follow that schedule. When I didn't do the research though, that was what got me into trouble because the last thing I wanted to do after working all day was to try to find a restaurant with 'healthy options' -- note the quotes because without the research this you are really just guessing!

If you can't research in advance, things are harder but try to stick to stuff you are already familiar with it possible (lol, I ate a LOT of Subway....).

Good luck!
  • erquinn
    erquinn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are staying in a hotel, check and see if there is a fridge in the room. If not, ask if they have a spare one they can put in your room.

Find a local grocery store and stock up on healthy foods. Buy or bring a cooler and ice packs and pack healthy food when you go on location. I used to buy yogurt, bread, turkey, mustard, precut veggies, fruit, instant oatmeal, etc. etc. and bring my lunch and healthy snacks with me.

Hotel room service will also be very accommodating if you ask for dressings on the side, no sauce, etc. I also second the advice you got about pre-planning what you will eat. I worked really long days and if I waited until I was hungry, it was a disaster.