P90X vs. Insanity

Options
I have P90X and I am looking to start it. I can't keep up with it, so I will do what I can. I hear the Insanity Program is better and I would do the same keep up with what I can..... What are your thoughts???

Replies

• mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    They're very different programs. If you're thinking of switching because P90X is too much for you, and you are still interested in strength (I know P90X has more than that, but Insanity is purely cardio/bodyweight), look into Chalean Extreme. I'm finishing up the second month of the program and I really like it. It's 3 days lifting, 1 day cardio and 1 day cardio + yoga. Month 1 is more combo lifts, maxing out at 10-12 reps; Month 2 is heavier weights, maxing out at 6-8 reps; and I'm not sure yet what Month 3 is!
  • gkallio
    gkallio Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Both are very high impact on your joints (knees #1), I would honestly reccomend hitting a gym, following a simple plan, low weights proper form and add more weight as desired.
  • christypaxson
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • jessicadombroski
    Options
    yes I definitely agree with you gkallio, I've done insanity and it was rough on my joints. The problem with these programs is they have fast results but if you dont keep up with them, the weight that you just lost comes right back. I've seen more results from running on the treadmill and lifting weights.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    To me at least, Insanity was/is more difficult than P90X. This is probably because my workout routines in the past have always had more lifting than cardio. P90X is a mix of weight lifting and cardio where Insanity is basically all cardio with some body-weight exercises. P90X breaks up the cardio workouts with weight lifting workouts where Insanity is cardio every workout.

Both are great workouts IMO and really push your abilities. Don't worry about the fact that you can't keep up - just keep doing what you can and you'll be amazed by what you can do after a couple weeks. As Tony says in P90X, "There is no 'I can't' only 'I currently struggle with...'" It's pretty crazy when you get to the end of the workout and can actually do the exercises you previously thought were impossible!

Both workouts will increase your muscle tone and decrease body fat (when done at an appropriate intensity level combined with a reasonable diet) but, IMO, P90X is more geared towards increasing muscle tone/mass where Insanity is all about getting lean.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    yes I definitely agree with you gkallio, I've done insanity and it was rough on my joints. The problem with these programs is they have fast results but if you dont keep up with them, the weight that you just lost comes right back. I've seen more results from running on the treadmill and lifting weights.

No, the weight comes back because you go back to your old habits. Don't blame a program that has worked for many.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options

No, the weight comes back because you go back to your old habits. Don't blame a program that has worked for many.

Right? It is more than just a "90 day challenge".

I've been having way better results from Insanity than I have using my treadmill, hands down. I have also not experienced any issue with my knees or joints. I haven't done P90X though but I do enjoy Insanity. I'm doing the Asylum next, already ordered it!
  • wulfsburg
    wulfsburg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Both are very high impact on your joints (knees #1), I would honestly reccomend hitting a gym, following a simple plan, low weights proper form and add more weight as desired.

This is the step that I am at.

I have both programs, but I am unable to keep up with either of them. I can kind of keep up with insanity, but my form is all kinds of wrong.

Follow a gym routine with a bunch of combo exercises (sorry, don't know the correct term) that work more than just 1 muscle at a time. I.E. Pull Ups, Squats, Deadlifts, etc.

After I do another 30 or so days at the gym, I will go back to insanity to see if I have the endurance to perform better. Insanity is HARD. REALLY HARD. Even the people in the work out group on the video cannot make it all the way without breaking during the work out. The important thing is form, and I am not good enough to hold form through a little less than half of the routines.
  • christypaxson
    Options
    I am eating healthy and doing circuit training and walking for now. I can't keep up with either one so until I can keep up with the treadmill without getting out of breath I am going to hang back and keep it easy for now! The Insanity one seems more like the one I want, until I can build up to get the muscle mass...Thanks!
  • christypaxson
    Options

This is the step that I am at.

I have both programs, but I am unable to keep up with either of them. I can kind of keep up with insanity, but my form is all kinds of wrong.

Follow a gym routine with a bunch of combo exercises (sorry, don't know the correct term) that work more than just 1 muscle at a time. I.E. Pull Ups, Squats, Deadlifts, etc.

After I do another 30 or so days at the gym, I will go back to insanity to see if I have the endurance to perform better. Insanity is HARD. REALLY HARD. Even the people in the work out group on the video cannot make it all the way without breaking during the work out. The important thing is form, and I am not good enough to hold form through a little less than half of the routines.

That's where I am right now :)
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I have P90X and I am looking to start it. I can't keep up with it, so I will do what I can. I hear the Insanity Program is better and I would do the same keep up with what I can..... What are your thoughts???

I have done many of these programs, including P90X, P90X Plus, P90X2, Insanity and Body Beast. Try Power 90. P90X stands for "Power 90 Extreme". Power 90 is a good way to start, or even 10 Minute Trainer.
    I prefer the P90X programs because there is a lot more variety - resistance training, plyometrics, yoga, kenpo. I found Insanity was just the same thing day in and day out. Many many people like it though.

Good luck!
    Joe
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

So true, no one told you to stop exercise when the program is over.

I have not done P90X so can't compare but I think they are 2 completely different programs. I really do like Insanity but it can be repetitive and I think adding in strength training along with it is a good idea. So, maybe a hybrid of the 2 or mix Insanity up with some kind of lifting program.