50 Pounds in 5 months...

Options
OK never thought I would post about weight loss in my life but here it goes. I have always had a very active lifestyle growing up sports in high school followed by 8 years in the Army. Life was good I could eat anything I wanted and I always stayed at my good weight of 195. Best weight in my life I could run all day and still feel as strong as an ox. A few years of college after the Army and a few years of Teaching middle school throw in wife having two kids and being the best damn cook i ever met and I was all of a sudden fat. No other way to put it I was 270 pounds my Blood Pressure as 150/110 and I was starting to get nose bleeds. I got real scared but did not tell anyone even my wife who is my best friend. The real shock came when I say a picture of me at my grandfathers funeral.....

265237_3647737708984_1994953247_o_zpsc356d670.jpg

I had gone from running half marathons to getting winded walking up a flight of stairs in about 10 years. My boss pulled me aside and told me the company I now work for was going to do a biggest loser boot camp after work and she thought I may want to join. I did join and in six weeks lost 20 pounds and won the contest. It was easy I just scanned what I ate and kept in my goals. I worked out and ate better totally cutting out the 3-4 sodas I drank a day and replacing them with water.

I made a pledge to be healthy and as soon as My Blood Pressure came down I started to donate blood. I just hit 1 Gallon donated in the last 5 months (Mainly Plasma and Platelets) . My diet consists of what ever I want to eat as long as I keep track of it and mark it down in my diary. My wife and I cook competitive BBQ so it is not like we are just eating brown rice and talapia 7 days a week. In the last 5 months I have eaten Pizza, BBQ, Sushi, Thai, Mexican, Greek, Thanksgiving Dinner, Christmas Dinner, Deserts, about 100 McDonald's Ice Cream Cones, and donuts. The difference is I did not chose these items three or four times a day I maybe had them once or twice a week.

As far as working out at first my wife and I started by going on walks in the evening one mile here then two until we were able to walk about 10 miles at a time no problem. Most of our walks were about 3-4 miles in about an hour. I also did the boot camp for 6 weeks and I am still working strength at home. One thing that I enjoyed is Geocaching which reminded me of my army days of walking in the woods looking for way points. I could walk forever looking for these little hidden treasures and before I knew it I had burned 500+ calories just walking in the woods with my wife and kids. Before I knew it I had lost 40 pounds.

2ADE7F11-2564-4583-97C3-5F0A6A620A92-23492-0000288A59D3C606.jpg

Now I have had a few set backs mainly when you are heavy and you work out you will have aches and pains. I pulled a calf muscle and also hurt my heel during this time period but just kept moving on. I am down 50 pounds and would still like to about 20 more and it will happen. I don't have a time frame on when I want to lose it by because it does not matter to me. When I hit my goal of about 200 pounds I will be back at my Army weight and lighter than my wife has ever known me. Oh and she has also lost 30 pounds so together we have lost 80.

Here I am today at 50 pounds lost....

20130225_114538_zps7086bb22.jpg

This is my biggest piece of advice for anyone who feels lost is be HONEST with yourself. Don't fret the little numbers. Who cares if you burned 177 vs 160 calories the point is you got off the couch and did something. Don't if you eat it put it in your diary don't worry if you go over a few hundred calories every now and then. There were weeks I went over everyday if you are creating a deficit in calories no matter how small that deficit is you will lose weight. And last but now least this is not a race to see who loses the fastest this is a race to get healthy so yo can see your kids grow old.

P.S. Enjoy life and continue to enjoy food don't torture yourself.

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I think this encapsulates a lot of the down fall and turn around of us guys. Awesome man! Thanks for posting. This is my motivtion for the day.
  • ectorgarcia
    ectorgarcia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not sure on that last pic it has been re sized but does not want to play fair.
  • oskybosky4
    Options
    FANTASTIC - you kept to your goals and you succeeded
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Love this advice from you: "And last but now least this is not a race to see who loses the fastest this is a race to get healthy so you can see your kids grow old."

Thanks for sharing that.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    The enemy doesn't conquer us all at once...

...it conquers us incrementally, so that our senses are not disturbed, and then, its too late. It succeeded.
  • ectorgarcia
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words to be honest if I can do this anyone can.
  • scadgirl20
    scadgirl20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. The weight didn't come on overnight for any of us, so it won't go away instantly. What you put was very true and great for motivation.
  • Bobhunter624
    Options
    well done keep up the good work.

enjoy your journey, I know I'm enjoying mine...:drinker:
  • christy3565
    Options
    You look fantastic and very motivating!! Keep up the great work!
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Great story...even from an Army dog! Similar story here...I gained almost 50 pounds over a few years when i got out of the Marines. Lost it...gained some back...now almost met my new goal. Last 10 lbs or so. Great story...thanks for the advice and of course...I know i can beat any Army guy (ha!).
  • BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. But what I really want to know is what you ate and the recipes. Your food sounds soooooooo good and if you were able to lose weight eating what you ate (I am sure you made healthy bbq), I would love to know some recipes. Maybe post them in your blog. I got stuck at "my wife is a good cook"
  • ectorgarcia
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. But what I really want to know is what you ate and the recipes. Your food sounds soooooooo good and if you were able to lose weight eating what you ate (I am sure you made healthy bbq), I would love to know some recipes. Maybe post them in your blog. I got stuck at "my wife is a good cook"

Well first and foremost my wife and I found a new love for soups. They are very filling and even the most calorie dense soups are better than most other meals. That has helped a bunch and there are many a great soup recipe online. As for BBQ the sides are what kill most plates so instead of mac and cheese and BBQ beans we do a lot of grilled and smoked veggies. You will never see anyone getting fat from eating grilled shrimp or fish as well. As far as meats you would be surprised how far a good brine will take your food. I know brine has salt salt is sodium well if you drink enough water you body can handle the small sodium intake remember you are not eating like this everyday.
  • scadgirl20
    scadgirl20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A great thing to do with grilled veggies is to use some fat-free italian dressing (zesty is the best). It adds some great flavors. My mom does that a lot and I love it. Great on chicken too.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Did someone say BBQ?

Awesome work!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Awesome job. Thanks for sharing!
  • xNightguestx
    xNightguestx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Well done ^^ you look like a different person, can see so much difference in your face
  • Dani76babi
    Dani76babi Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformation!! You look great! And I definitely agree with those wise words, continue to enjoy life (: Insightful knowledge gained from a long difficult journey ~
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing but now I want BBQ :). I think I have come to the same realization as you. I am not going to worry about the 1lbs fluctuation any more I am just going to work out ,count my calories (no matter if it s is BBq or Pizza), and see what happens in a month.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!