Vitamins and nausea?

Options

Replies

• that_Va_chick
    Options
    I think it depends on the brand. The womens one a day multi made me very nauseous.
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    I used to get sick with vitamins because of the iron. I switched to "slow release" iron pills and was no longer nauseated.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I thought I would take a vitamin without eating. The first time I did it I immediately got in the shower right after ingesting the pill. I felt so sick that I thought I was going to pass out. Never again will I take a vitamin without eating. It's no big deal if I skip one here and there because I don't ever want to feel nauseated like that ever again.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It use to happen to me, turned out I had Celiac disease. Now I am take them, no issue. But they have to be gluten free.
  • muktyfitness
    muktyfitness Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You lucky that you atleast can take them with food, I cant take any vitamin at all except vitamin gummys! I beleive I am allergic to the shell or preservative in it.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    yes I have always gotten sick when I take them. I was unable to take any of them during pregnancy. I now take them at night before bedtime. It doesn't seem to bother me as much.
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    I have to take them with food and sometimes still get sick to my stomach. I've had to try different brands and finally found some that work for me. Prenatals are the worst... seems that I can't avoid the nausea with those.
    would you mind telling which brand works for you since I have same problem and only can take vitamin gummys
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    Just depends on the solubility of the vitamins.
    what do you mean by that?
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    The only vitamins that don't seem to make me nauseous are the gummy ones, so I just take those. I take them as a "just in case" rather than because I think I'm lacking something specific.
    I do the same , but hate the fact that those has few calorie, not a big deal but every little calorie counts, I could eat something else if could save those calorie
  • muktyfitness
    Options
    I think it depends on the brand. The womens one a day multi made me very nauseous.
    same here, bought women 1 a day waight watch one, made me so sick! cant take them at all.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    they upset my stomach most times I take them and sometimes I feel nauseous
  • chaosqueen01
    chaosqueen01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't get it - why aren't you eating all the vitamins in food? Fruits, vegetables and so on? Our bodies are meant to eat real food, especially when you are trying to lose weight. Eat fresh instead of junk food plus synthetic vitamins.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    One time I took a vitamin and I got so nauseous I actually DID PUKE! It was CRAZY! I switched to gummy vitamins and haven't had any problems since. I take two every morning. Two vitamins are 15 calories and I factor them into my breakfast.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't get it - why aren't you eating all the vitamins in food? Fruits, vegetables and so on? Our bodies are meant to eat real food, especially when you are trying to lose weight. Eat fresh instead of junk food plus synthetic vitamins.

My doctor recommended taking a multi vitamin, especially while trying to lose weight. I trust her opinion more than yours. Sorry!
  • blissfulself
    blissfulself Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    they make me nauseaous even if I take them with food. I have heard it is because of the iron in them- maybe try one without iron?
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have to take a Vitamin supplement along with a Calcium w/ D3 supplement every morning because of my D being very low (I have already had a stress fracture at 32 years old and I am a very high risk for osteoporosis).
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options

We DO eat tons of veggies, fruits and meats. Sometimes I don't make the best choices, but you know, that's the way it goes. Trying to figure out how to eat well when I have a kid with food allergies that automatcally takes nuts out of the pic is sort of hard. We do eat fruits and veggies (organic!!) and fresh, lean meats and fish.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

The solubility of the vitamins has nothing to do with whether or not they make you sick. Fat soluble vitamins should be taken with food that contains fat to help the absorption and water soluble don't necessarily need food unless there are a ton of filler in it in which case could be the reason the OP is feeling sick. I used to take womens one a day and regardless if I took it with food I felt like vomiting after I took it and I believe it was the fillers because now I take all natural vitamins and have never had an issue.

You can not possibly get all the nutrients that your body needs from food alone. I eat fruits, veggies etc. and I still supplement for that very reason and you would have to eat an awful lot of it in order to get your RDA of every vital nutrient that your body uses. Not every one is perfect and can eat perfect all the time.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options

The solubility of the vitamins has nothing to do with whether or not they make you sick. Fat soluble vitamins should be taken with food that contains fat to help the absorption and water soluble don't necessarily need food unless there are a ton of filler in it in which case could be the reason the OP is feeling sick. I used to take womens one a day and regardless if I took it with food I felt like vomiting after I took it and I believe it was the fillers because now I take all natural vitamins and have never had an issue.

You can not possibly get all the nutrients that your body needs from food alone. I eat fruits, veggies etc. and I still supplement for that very reason and you would have to eat an awful lot of it in order to get your RDA of every vital nutrient that your body uses. Not every one is perfect and can eat perfect all the time.

Thank you for pointing that out! Honestly, this is a Women's One a Day. I didn't think about the fillers in it. What do you suggest taking instead of those (that won't cost an arm and a leg)?
  • dawnerika
    dawnerika Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I often have a difficult time with breakfast and have taken my supplements on an empty stomach for 30 years. Once or twice a year, I get strange stomach cramps because of it, but I do take them with a large glass of whatever random liquid I am drinking when I get up...tea, usually. I think a lot of people are just more sensitive to them and perhaps I've pretty much just grown accustomed to it, most of the time.