My job is sabotaging me!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Damn! Yeah that is bad especially with all the aromas of food around you. There is no easy way around it. You just have to have strong will power against those types of foods. Try it out slowly. This way you can get adjusted. Also where you were do they serve healthy stuff (ie fruits, vegetables, low fat proteins). The reason I ask if you get tempted, start munching on some fruit or start drinking lots of water. Do you bring your own food to work?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Sabotage happens when you have NO CONTROL over the situation. While you can be tempted, you aren't sabotaged unless you engage in consuming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Good advice.

Why not take a bunch of healthy fruit and nuts in with you? It will look so much more appetising than all that sugary crap!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself about 200-300 calories a day for those snacks. Knowing that you've allowed for them, but don't have to eat them, could be the mental boost you need to help resist.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Don't pizza places have salads?

Even if you look at the pizza toppings, you could make one up with tomato, olives, spinach/rocket/arugula, maybe a little ham, a little mozzarella, corn, pineapple, chicken, basil, anything other than the pizza base.

Ok, if you're baking pastries all day, you're going to have to bring a lunch in with you, but if there are any fresh ingredients in the place, you'll be able to find something to eat.

But in other places, it's not as difficult if you think laterally.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Try to pre-plan and pack your meals for the day (if possible). Move more at work if you can and you'll get to where you need to be. The temptations will always be there, but you have to have the willpower to keep yourself motivated.

You can add me if you need motivation... or just someone to yap at you when you're giving into temptations :tongue:
  • Ddmck1
    Ddmck1 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh I totally feel you. I just started a new job and the boss keeps a kitchen fully stocked for all the employees to eat. Its not even good stuff either it's all chips and cokes, hot pockets... etc... Plus they are always bringing in breakfast burritos and donuts nearly every day.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is physically forcing you to eat, nobody is sabotaging you. You are sabotaging yourself. Just say no and move on.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I work in a school and it actually has a really nice canteen - and really nice banana bread, carrot cake, cookies........

I was overweight anyway when I first started here, but picking a cookie or bun or slice of cake to go with my sandwich each day probably added 7 lbs extra. Now I either bring in my own food or JUST buy a sandwich (and they are small - we're not talking pret a manger here!). I bring in fresh fruit or a cereal bar for morning break and one sandwich (two slices of good bread with a sensible filling) and that is all I have (bar 3 cups of tea, water and an occasional green tea if I'm really hungry). Its not easy, but even the canteen ladies have noticed I've lost. Or maybe it was their profits going down:laugh:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sabotage happens when you have NO CONTROL over the situation. While you can be tempted, you aren't sabotaged unless you engage in consuming.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I tend to agree with this. I work in an office setting and every Friday sometone brings in donuts, bagels, etc etc..or someone is always buying chocolate and putting it out or they are always going to sonic, mcdonalds etc..and asking me if I want something...to which I just keep saying "no". I think if you start saying no, it will be a lot easier to avoid these things. Also, it might help to stash your workspace with some almonds or other healthy snacks so if you get a tempation just shovel a hanful of almonds into your mouth or something....
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Constantly reminding myself that I CANNOT have these things is honestly mentally exhausting.

Instead of telling yourself you can never have them, tell yourself "Not today". It's a little thing, but somehow, it helps me.
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Try to get over the fact that it is, in fact, food. I work at a grocery store that also has a counter with lots of pastries, cinnamon buns etc. - and most importantly grilled chicken. At first I was always craving stuff at work, but now I don't really look at it as food anymore. They're just products, they just happen to be grilled chicken and pastries at a grocery store, not screws and bolts at a hardware store.

If you start craving them when it's quiet and you're bored, like you said, you should also have the time to take a look at the nutritional values again. Then drink a glass of water and decide that if you still crave it 20 minutes later, take another look at the nutriotional values and just get half of the lowest-calorie item. Then volunteer to clean up the grill, take out the trash, whatever nasty job you guys have that keeps you moving/active and preferably shows you some nasty stuff that comes out of the food (chicken grease does that for me).
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    You need to man up. I work at McDonalds, I am around it 45 hours a week. I know it can suck. But there's no "trick" or "solution". You have to make a decision to what is important to you right now. Is it tempting? Of course. But because it is tempting does not mean you have to eat it. Sometimes I want to lock the doors and eat 50 Big Macs, but I don't. Also, it's not 100% off limits to me, I'll have a burger once or twice a week. I fit it into my goals and feel no guilt, and that way I'm not constantly obsessing about it - I know I can either have it or not and the decision is mine, and I have to deal with the consequences.

If you're blaming places/people/things for your own choices - that is not sabotage. That is looking for excuses. Quitting your job or your "journey" are choices you will make, but it's not your jobs fault, or your coworkers. You are in control of you.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh thats a hard one I dont work in the kitchen but I work in the dietary department so temptations are always there and it is my job to taste and do quality control. I dont know if this would help you but when I'm in the kitchen or prepping at home I have to keep a piece of gum in my mouth and a bottle of water near by. I sometimes have to look at the food as the deveil incarnate. Freshly baked cookies out of the oven well walking by I have to give them the sign of the cross, LOL! People think I'm crazy but I dont care.

I also make it a rule if I know what it taste like I dont taste it., so no snacking on cheese because I know what that taste like already. I only taste about a teaspoon of food that I'm preparing and need to make sure it's seasoned appropriately. You only need a small bite to determine if it's prepared correctly.

This is the harderst thing for me and working near or in a kitchen makes it about 6 times harder, but with a bit of planning it is possible.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I like this thought.

OP-- can you chew gum at work? It's hard to eat stuff with gum in your mouth.
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, I just had a REALLY long day at work last night and was just ranting when I got home to the computer. I truly am really good about what I eat and make sure it fits within my calorie limit. Saying that my job was sabotaging me was not the correct wording. I simply was saying that it makes losing and keeping this weight off that much more difficult. Luckily I will be leaving this job in early June and start landscaping for the summer until I go to college in August.

To put it simply, I LOVE FOOD. I love trying new food, making food, having people make food for me. So unless you are having and handling very delicious food everyday for 12 hours, you won't understand how difficult it is.
  • sbecknc
    sbecknc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I understand - while I don't work with food, I'm in a desk job where someone brings food about every day of the week. I just keep almonds and fruit in my desk drawer so I have an option, and lots of gum.

My problem is the stress. I'm under a set of daily deadlines and deal with a number of toxic interpersonal relationships in order to meet them. The end result is constantly wanting to stress eat. I've stopped almost completely (Thank goodness for mints and gum) but I haven't seen a loss yet. That said, just knowing I'm not doing it anymore means that when I get out of this toxic atmosphere for any length of time (even a long weekend), I start to see a difference. Here's hoping that you have that same level of success when you head off to landscaping!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Landscaping will really help you lose weight! And if your hands are dirty you can't snack either:wink: .

I find if I'm really craving something I think about how much exercise that will take to balance it out: if it is worth it I will do the exercise - and then decide if I really want to waste the effort by eating the "bad" thing. Often I'm so pleased with myself for exercising I pick a lower calore treat insted - shoes are low calorie, right?:wink::laugh: