Crossfit Question

Options
I need advice/encourangement from people out there who do CrossFit

I have been going religeously for 5 weeks now. I go 3-4 times a week, and I run on my own a day or two otherwise. I sweat more than I ever have during any other exercise program, and I am exhausted and sore (in a good way) after each session.

I have been doing pretty good diet wise- no big splurges.

My problem is that I AM NOT losing any weight and my clothes are not fitting any better. My trainer told me in when I strated that we would not see major wieght loss at first, but once it strated the weight would "melt off".

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I just started CrossFit, so I can't be too much help there. I do love it though - I feel stronger already!

Have you asked your doctor? I noticed you are on fertility drugs. I can't help but think that could have a whole lot to do with it.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I noticed results very quickly, esp in my core.

How many cals are you taking in each day?
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I just started CrossFit, so I can't be too much help there. I do love it though - I feel stronger already!

Have you asked your doctor? I noticed you are on fertility drugs. I can't help but think that could have a whole lot to do with it.

Thanks for the resposne- I'm acually not on the meds anymore- we gave up! I will change that part of my profile!!!
  • carriem73
    Options
    I noticed results very quickly, esp in my core.

How many cals are you taking in each day?

I am not logging anymore, but I eat healthy (no fried food, fast food is a once a week at most treat, and eben then is as healthy as possible). I would imagine I am between 1400-1600 on exercise days, 1200 on off days.

I can feel the strength- also in my core, but I feel like I have an extra layer of whale blubber on my waste now!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'd try tracking your calories closer and maybe reducing the amount of grains and sugars you eat. That will definitely instigate fat loss.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Those fertility drugs do a major job on your body. My wife was lucky to not be on them for very long, but even 'simple' meds like birth control could have an effect.

I'd talk to your doctor for sure.
  • beccacha
    beccacha Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are 2 things that could be going on.

1. CrossFit does build muscle and while building muscle you will hang onto water.

2. If your hormones are "challenged" if you have a stressful life and high cortisol….because CF is so taxing…the body can read it as an additional "stress" and start to hang onto fat for dear life. This happens especially in a calorie deficit stage. It is counter intuitive but many cases of this happening in CF where women mostly keep increasing how much they are working out..and they don't lose weight so they add running and still no changes….I'd cut back on the CF to no more than 3 days a week and add Yoga to balance the other days you want to do something active or long walks.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did Crossfit for a year and yes, I held on to extra water at the beginning. You're working muscles you probably have never even thought you'd work out so that's probably very common. 5 weeks isn't a whole lot of time to really start seeing results.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Crossfit can be very extreme and hard on your body -- especially for those who are not used to exercising much. That program has a high injury rate, and personally, I don't think that getting in shape fast is worth the potential damage it can do to your body to push it that hard.
  • Par8hed4life
    Par8hed4life Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post myself!
    Today I started my 7th week of Crossfit. I have been going three times a week and doing cardio two days a week.
    When I started CF I was eating around 2000 calories a day and have slowly cut back to now just eating 1600 calories. I am also eating Paleo/Primal. I also try to drink a gallon of water a day--this is very hard for me. I too am not seeing the results I was hoping for, however, I can tell that my arms are tighter and I am much happier knowing I am setting up the foundation for the rest of my life.
    I know how frustrated you are, as I am in the SAME boat. We just have to remember that it didn't take 7 weeks to create the body I have now, blah, blah, blah, but it's true.
    We just have to keep at it!!!
  • PhoenixJR
    PhoenixJR Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just wrote some long whiny posts about not losing any weight. I am completely stuck at the weight I started. I've been going religously for the past 6 weeks 3x a week. I am stronger and I can now do handstand pushups, but my weight is completely frozen. I have been drinking adequate water, eating 1200 calories with minimal grains, and sleeping 8 hours a night. My weight refuses to budge and I am getting seriously depressed.
  • carriem73
    Options
    Yes. I just wrote some long whiny posts about not losing any weight. I am completely stuck at the weight I started. I've been going religously for the past 6 weeks 3x a week. I am stronger and I can now do handstand pushups, but my weight is completely frozen. I have been drinking adequate water, eating 1200 calories with minimal grains, and sleeping 8 hours a night. My weight refuses to budge and I am getting seriously depressed.

thanks for responding, maybe we will get some good info together-

Yours is the second posting that mentioned drinking the adequate amount of water- I'm not sure I know how much that is- I wasn't aware of adding more water- I get my 8 glasses a day for sure, but should I add more???
  • carriem73
    Options
    I could have written this post myself!
    Today I started my 7th week of Crossfit. I have been going three times a week and doing cardio two days a week.
    When I started CF I was eating around 2000 calories a day and have slowly cut back to now just eating 1600 calories. I am also eating Paleo/Primal. I also try to drink a gallon of water a day--this is very hard for me. I too am not seeing the results I was hoping for, however, I can tell that my arms are tighter and I am much happier knowing I am setting up the foundation for the rest of my life.
    I know how frustrated you are, as I am in the SAME boat. We just have to remember that it didn't take 7 weeks to create the body I have now, blah, blah, blah, but it's true.
    We just have to keep at it!!!

Good for you on the Paleo diet, I just don't have that discipline in me- thanks for the encouragement- maybe we can figure this out together!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I need advice/encourangement from people out there who do CrossFit

I have been going religeously for 5 weeks now. I go 3-4 times a week, and I run on my own a day or two otherwise. I sweat more than I ever have during any other exercise program, and I am exhausted and sore (in a good way) after each session.

I have been doing pretty good diet wise- no big splurges.

My problem is that I AM NOT losing any weight and my clothes are not fitting any better. My trainer told me in when I strated that we would not see major wieght loss at first, but once it strated the weight would "melt off".

Has anyone else experienced this?

Your diary is closed so I can't see how you're eating, but the obvious answer is that you're consuming too many calories.
  • lmc8774
    lmc8774 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing too. I started Crossfit about 2 months ago and haven't lost anything either. I feel like I've gotten a little stronger but clothes aren't fitting any differently. But I find it kind of difficult to determine how much I burned and then how many calories to eat so maybe just haven't figured it out yet. I've also been kind of bad about tracking my calories so today I'm going to be better about tracking as I go through the day, instead of trying to remember later in the day, or even the next day. So maybe as others have suggested, try to track your intake better?