Exercise for Dummies - Some Questions

Options
I am very new to exercise in general. Today was the 1st day that I ever kicked myself in the *kitten* and made it to a gym. I only did the treadmill for 45min but in my mind that is a great step in the right direction.

My main question is when I logged my exercise in to MFP it added the calories I burned to my total daily goal of calories. Is this right? It seems like if I eat the calories I burned it would defeat my weight loss? If this help with answers, I have set my daily calorie goal to 1500.

My other question is, when I was walking on the treadmill it was counting my calories burned. At the end of 45min it said I only burned 120, but when I logged it into the MFP ("Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" - it was the closest thing I could find to what I did) it said I burned 339. Why is it different? Does it have something to do with my current weight?

Thanks for any help given! :D

Replies

• sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When you were on the treadmill did it have a place for you to put in your weight? I usually eat maybe half of my workout calories, it is different from person to person. You normally just have to play with your numbers to see what works best for your body.
  • Norellaangell
    Norellaangell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No, It didn't ask for any stats. On the display screen it stated to press "go" to start my workout & from there I was able to raise my MPH to 3.0
  • aas1277
    Options
    I've read that the machines are grossly inaccurate and that a heart rate monitor is the way to go....I just started using the polar ft4 and so far it's great.....
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Always go with the machine, not MFP's calculation, so long as you put your weight in the machine before you started
  • sowenby1984
    sowenby1984 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you did not put in your weight it is not going to be right, they are based on someone weighing around 130 so I would go with the MFP numbers.
  • crystal_marie_23
    crystal_marie_23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree, go with MFP numbers if you did not put your info in the treadmill. MFP has your weight, and it will give you the most accurate calculation :)
  • crystal_marie_23
    crystal_marie_23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I keep my calorie intake under 1600 .. and MFP will add your exercise calories into your daily calories but that does not mean you need to consume all of those calories!!
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I agree with that, you want a calorie deficit so if you work out, don't add calories because then you won't lose. Believe me, the diet part contributes more to the weight loss. I think the working out is good too, but for toning and shaping the body.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting moving. :)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Eating back the calories does *not* defeat the purpose. You do not need those extra calories to lose weight. The purpose of the exercise is to keep you strong and healthy while you are losing weight. Without the exercise, you will lose tons of muscle mass and could experience serious health issues. The extra calories are used to fuel the exercise that keeps you healthy.
  • bostoncoug
    Options
    To keep it easy, I just add my exercise at the end of the day, so I don't eat the calories that I lost from my exercise.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    As far as the calorie goal goes, it adds the calories spent exercising to your total needs for the day so you can have a better idea of just where that calorie deficit lays.

For instance, if you had a stable weight, then began a say, 500 calorie-a-day exercise regimen while not changing your food intake at all, then in seven days you'd have a 3500 calorie deficit and a loss of one pound. Theoretically.