Too much sodium!

Options
My usual lunch consists of a turkey sandwich (among a few other things). Well the turkey checks in at about 900 on the sodium scale. This isn't acceptable! Any alternatives? How about deli fresh instead of cold cuts? What is a fella to do? thanks!

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    My usual lunch consists of a turkey sandwich (among a few other things). Well the turkey checks in at about 900 on the sodium scale. This isn't acceptable! Any alternatives? How about deli fresh instead of cold cuts? What is a fella to do? thanks!

what sodium level you trying to hit per day? you got 1600 mg's left to not eat the rest of the day by daily recommendations...
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Johnny Manziel:

Call me crazy, but I like to eat other meals, and snacks.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    The deli meats are comparable. I'd suggest roasting a turkey breast yourself and slicing it for sandwiches. You won't be injecting it with sodium solution or trying to preserve it, so your sodium should be much less. I really prefer prepping my own proteins for lunches....meats and fish.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Oooooooo
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    120 weeks:

Thanks for the recommendation.
  • _noob_
    Options

Oooooooo

yeah, that revelation threw me for a loop too.
  • MED2012COLORADO
    Options
    I dont know if you have a Giant Eagle store where you live but i get 'plainville no salt added turkey breast" in the deli there it is $12.00 a lb but "its my health" so ill spend my money on what i want :) Love the idea of doing a fresh turkey up and slicing yourself. You can freeze it to.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Oooooooo

yeah, that revelation threw me for a loop too.

I still don't understand the problem.
    *shrugs*
  • _noob_
    Options
    Johnny Manziel:

I know it's not what you were asking, but 900 doesn't seem TOO bad for a meal, especially a convenient one. You may get better mileage out of cutting sodium sometime else in your day.

That's all I was hinting at.
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    I dont know if you have a Giant Eagle store where you live but i get 'plainville no salt added turkey breast" in the deli there it is $12.00 a lb but "its my health" so ill spend my money on what i want :) Love the idea of doing a fresh turkey up and slicing yourself. You can freeze it to.

yeah, no Giant Eagle, but I am going to look hard at alternatives. Thanks!
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    Johnny Manziel:

I know it's not what you were asking, but 900 doesn't seem TOO bad for a meal, especially a convenient one. You may get better mileage out of cutting sodium sometime else in your day.

That's all I was hinting at.

I assumed there was some logic to your thinking. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

dang man 12 a lb? I think a stripper is cheaper per LB
  • jcoco
    jcoco Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you have a Target superstore in your area, they carry Healthy Ones in turkey, chicken, & roast beef and they slice it for you at their deli. Salt content for 3 oz is 500 vs the 900.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The deli meats are comparable. I'd suggest roasting a turkey breast yourself and slicing it for sandwiches. You won't be injecting it with sodium solution or trying to preserve it, so your sodium should be much less. I really prefer prepping my own proteins for lunches....meats and fish.

Ditto!

I started on MFP because of a high blood pressure diagnosis. So in addition to calories. I was watching closely my sodium consumption per day. For me the sodium was a harder number to hit than the calories!

It seems that any prepared food contains way to much sodium. These days I eat tons of veggies, beans and fruit. But very little meat. I still eat cheese, yogurt and eggs so I am getting some animal based proteins.

All the best on sorting out what works best for you.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    If you have a crock pot, get a whole chicken, bung it in the crock pot for 6-8 hours. the meat will just fall off the bone and is great for sandwiches. Don't need to add any stock to the crock while cooking.

can do the same with thighs/breasts etc for chicken or turkey
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Yes, try the deli. They should have plenty of low sodium cuts. Ask them to let you see the label so that you can make sure the sodium content satisfies your needs.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Even freshly sliced at the deli you would get quite a bit of sodium. There are lower sodium options out there for sliced meats.

Otherwise, what about roasting a turkey breast or chicken breast to make your own sandwich meat? I used to do that for my husband and I. I would roast a whole turkey breast than let it cool and slice thinly. That was great for sandwiches, wraps, salads, etc. I also did the same with chicken and ham for my husband. You could do it with almost any meat you like.
  • kacysuzanne
    kacysuzanne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. I started buying a bone in turkey breast ($11-15 at my Wal-Mart) each week. We have it for dinner one night, then my husband & I use it for sandwiches for lunches. Yesterday, I found turkeys marked down to .50/lb. I bought three at $5-7 each. That is a lot of meat for a little $!
  • VSeed2008
    Options
    I cook my own chicken, roast beef and turkey and then just slice it up! Tastes way better and way better for you :)
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    Options
    Do any of your local grocery stores sell Boar's Head brand deli meats? They have a no-salt added turkey breast.