Almost back to the beginning...

Options
I hit goal in June 2011. I maintained for just over a year and then had a series of health problems, including a fall where I damaged my c-spine and was flat out on my back for a while, and didn't exercise in months. This was followed by a massive plummet in mood and a series of major mental health problems, culminating in an attempt on my own life in Dec 2012 :frown: :cry: :brokenheart:

I have only really just begun to try to pick the pieces of my life back up, to decide that I even want to. I finally faced the scales today and discovered I am only 10 lbs lighter than when I first tried to lose weight - meaning I have gained a somewhat terrifying 35 lbs in about 6 months :noway: :explode: :noway:

I know the only thing I can do is pick myself and try to be kind to myself, while also taking it seriously and getting back on the wagon, but to be honest part of me just wants to eat a giant chocolate cake :ohwell:

Any suport/ encouragement gratefully received!!!

Replies

• spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Again I say: God, Your Word says that You direct the steps of the godly. I trust You to guide me on the journey You have for me, and I know that when I get off track, You will always be there to help me recover and KEEP GOING...

Keep going not matter what...your family needs you...and your MFP FAM is here for you.
  • stargirl99
    Options
    Well done on coming through to this point, you've obviously been through a really difficult time - far more than a lot of us can imagine I'm sure. You need to take some time to be good to yourself, enjoy getting back into a routine that helps you feel good but don't beat yourself up if you just need to take it easy or treat yourself once in a while as you get back on track.

I know it will be disheartening that you have gained back some weight but you have got there before, you can do it again. I'm in the process of losing the same weight again after a pretty rubbish few months but starting to feel a bit better again.

Please lean on your family and get support from here if you are feeling like you are struggling with anything
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You have had a LOT going on. Don't beat yourself up about the weight gain. Get things in perspective and realize YOU ARE STILL HERE!!!! You've survived in the trenches, and now you get to put your life back together.

It's only up from here!!! Be good to yourself :smile:
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Aww, I am so sorry for all that you have been going through. I am so glad the attempt on your life was not successful. I can't even imagine the anguish you must have been feeling to even get to that place. I will pray that you can climb out of the dark pit and put the pieces of your life back together again. I know you can do it! You are not alone. You have family and friends. Most importantly you can turn to God for help. Psalm 46:1-2 says: "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2 Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea, 3 though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling." I pray you can find peace. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further.
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness you have had a lot to deal with. I had a very similar 2012 (my best friends husband died, I broke my foot while trying to help her with her children, spent 6 months on crutches, gained 40lbs, being made redundant) I also really struggled with depression- no wonder !

I did see a Dr about some anti-d's but it just wasn't for me and I came off them. Since last October I've lost 30lbs of my gain. I'm getting there and still have a long way to go to get to target. I think ultimately I still want to eat cake. And i sometimes do (I've gained this week after a wine, chips and cake weekend!). But the important thing is that I'm back on track today and focussing on eating better.

I'm walking a lot. That's about the only thing I can do that isn't painful (I could swim but I'm scared of slipping on a wet tile and hurting foot - stupid isn't it?). Have you ever tried Lesley Sansone ? She's well know in US and not so much in UK. As a result I can't get her dvd's here but I have been using You Tube to do her walking routine. We're already friends on MFP but I'm happy to continue to support where i can, and if you like the walking thing we could keep each other motivated with a mile a day or something ?

Take care and shout if you need or want any support. x
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options

I have bought a fit it one to try and encourage me to take more exercise as part of normal day to day life. I need to get more variety back into my eating, but I did lose 2 lbs in the first week, here is to the rest of the journey!!! :drinker:
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you have been struggling. I hope now you have decided to start over and have stepped on the scale (the worst part) you will realise you have a lot of help and support here for you and you can do this again. One day at a time.

I understand where you are coming from because i lost around 30lbs on here in 2009 and i have recently had health problems, lost my job and gained it back and it's a massive struggle to face that again, to admit to going off track and coming back and starting over. I too am struggling with this so if you want to add me and support each other I am happy to do this.

The only way i could manage when i started was to take it a day at a time. Slowly, slowly. You can do this again, you have found your starting point and each day it will get a little easier.