Lunchmeat?

Options
surlydave
surlydave Posts: 512 Member
I'm sorry if this has been posted a million times but I searched the topics and didn't quite fine what I was looking for. I was just reading in another post about the "evils" of lunchmeat along with other "processed" foods. I guess I am not understanding why lunchmeat (the lean varierty anyway) is the devil? I am looking at the packaging on many of the pre-packaged varieties and it looks harmless. Is there some additive that is the killer? If you don't eat lunchmeat, what exact DO you eat? Not like I can grill a chicken breast for lunch every day. Anybody care to enlighten me? Thanks!

Replies

• sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I know that one of the issues is the high sodium content of most lunch meat. But I'm like you and have to use them for lunch a lot. It's hard to go totally non-processed when you are working. Some people are able to do it but I just haven't been able to manage that yet. :smile:
  • bambi5014
    bambi5014 Posts: 79
    Options
    Maybe I could be losing much more weight, at a faster pace, but I eat the 97% fat free turkey all of the time. I eat the thinly shaved varieties, and at only 50 - 70 calories per oz. or 2, you can't beat it! I personally don't care about sodium intake at this point. I am losing weight by purely counting calories, no matter what the sodium, fiber, protein or carb levels are. So I say do whatever works for you!
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    The sodium is the main reason that lunch meats are considered bad. But, most lunch meats also include a ton of chemical binders, preservative, and even coloring (especially true in ham). A lot of people try to avoid these things.

Options:
    Grill 3-4 chicken breasts on Sunday. Cut into thin strips and use it throughout the week in various wraps for lunch. You could do the same thing with ham and roast beef. Freeze what you know you won't eat in small packages of 2-3 portions. Defrost them on Sunday for the work week.
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    Options
    Not only do lunch meats tend to have high sodium, most brands use sodium nitrates to kill bacterium. Nitrates are a known carcinogen and thought to cause cancer.

If you are interested, Jillian Michaels has a book called "Mastering Your Metabolism" that goes in depth on nitrates in lunch meats.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bambi here, whatever works for you. I eat lunchmeat , the taste escapes black peppered ham and the roast turkey breast make great sandwiches. The Jennie O turkey ham or turkey sausage is great also. I personally look at calories but my main thing to lose weight is watching my fat grams. I was told by two different Dr. like 20 years ago, if i kept my fat grams under 35 a day i would lose weight, now some ppl say this is obsolete, well maybe for them but not for me, i have been doing exactly that and its working. So whatever works for someone is what they need to do. wishing you much success!!:smile:
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I'll have lean turkey or roast beef but mainly buy it so I can have a little variety (or something quick on hand)--nothing I have regularly. I'm not overly concerned with my sodium but am trying to keep an eye on it. Hormel makes a line that is more natural (less or no nitrates etc). I have bought it and like the taste but it is pretty pricey for me ($5.00 or so for a package). Worth it if you are really watching all the additives etc.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Like most everything, lunch meat in moderation is ok. The kind I eat is the Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Shaved meats; I like the Oven Roasted Turkey Breast and BBQ Chicken; they're only 45-50 calories for 6 slices and the sodium is under 500 mg, so it's not too bad, compared to other brands. You can always go to the deli counter and have them slice some ham/turkey/etc from their whole pieces because there might not be as much sodium since they're not loaded with sodium as preservatives like lunch meat. Might not be as cheap, but should be healthier.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If you worry about preservatives a good lunchmeat is Hormel Natural Choice. No nitrates added and minimally processed. It's by all the other lunchmeats. :) They also make very tasty bacon.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Lots of people eat lunchmeat. Before I started taking clean eating seriously I was also on this bandwagon. It's a personal choice though. Some do it and some dont. I choose not to eat lunchmeat because it's not natural and it's full of nitrates, sodium, soy extenders, trace chemicals from de-fatting, coloring, flavor additives and preservatives... not my idea of something healthy to eat.

To address the "cant eat healthy while working" thing:

Thats total bull! I pack a lunch with snacks every day and I manage to still eat clean. Anyone can do it, it just takes real meal planning and you have to cook your meat ahead of time. We all have fridges at home so you can cool and store the meat for a few days this way. Salads are easy to make the day before or even in the morning. Just be creative, it's not that hard and it's very rewarding getting away from Packaged "food".
  • surlydave
    Options
    First, thanks for all the replies. I assumed it was either sodium or additives. The post I saw from another thread pretty much suggested that it was foolish to think you could lose weight eating processed foods all the time, and I understand the concept, but the lunchmeat reference was what caught my eye.

Second, back up the truck. I never said I couldn't eat healthy because I work, nor do I think anyone else posting here did (I could be wrong - reading on an iPhone). The fact is, in the past I have pre-cooked foods and packed them to work, and yeah that even included cooking several chicken breasts in advance. But, that gets kind of boring. More to the point though, I work in locations that all have a cafeteria. Most try to offer healthy options, and even if I don't care for those I have the option to have a sandwich freshly made... but there we have the lunchmeat question again, which is also part of the reason I asked.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat a little lunch meat also. However, this week I'm going to buy a turkey breast to cook & cut up... freeze some of it & use it as I need it. I always have chicken on hand, but I like to mix it up.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    The only lunch meat I have is from the deli where they slice it right in front of you. I have no idea whether it's better for you but I'm doing okay and have been eating it for awhile now! :happy: This week I got the roasted chicken. It tastes just like a rotisserie chicken, yum!
  • surlydave
    Options
    I eat a little lunch meat also. However, this week I'm going to buy a turkey breast to cook & cut up... freeze some of it & use it as I need it. I always have chicken on hand, but I like to mix it up.

You know, this actually brings up another question... if you cook a turkey breast or say a frozen ham, aren't they also packed with preservatives? And sodium? I honestly asking. Maybe I should go get one of those commercial meat slicers lol :wink:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options

You know, this actually brings up another question... if you cook a turkey breast or say a frozen ham, aren't they also packed with preservatives? And sodium? I honestly asking. Maybe I should go get one of those commercial meat slicers lol :wink:

LOL... crap. I guess I'll have to kill a turkey. :laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I'll have lean turkey or roast beef but mainly buy it so I can have a little variety (or something quick on hand)--nothing I have regularly. I'm not overly concerned with my sodium but am trying to keep an eye on it. Hormel makes a line that is more natural (less or no nitrates etc). I have bought it and like the taste but it is pretty pricey for me ($5.00 or so for a package). Worth it if you are really watching all the additives etc.
    I've tried the Hormel natural and I agree it's the lesser of the evils in regards to nitrates etc. Price is a bit high for me as well when you figure how many servings you're actually getting as I think some pkgs. are 2.5 servings? It's good but still high in sodium, you just get less meat so it appears to have less.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

LOL... crap. I guess I'll have to kill a turkey. :laugh:
    Only way to handle that is to start a healthy cage free turkey farm and raise and sell them to other MFP members? lol

Oh yea they are most definitely full of crap when they are store bought unless a person pays the high price for a special bird since they are no different than chickens in how they are raised, full of anti-biotics, sodium/fake flavors shot up in them with needles. OH YUM, Happy Turkey Day:grumble: :laugh: :laugh: I'm not so hungry now.....:sick:

I suppose when you put it that way, there isn't much difference in deli meat (except that's way higher sodium/nitrate wise, an and they slice it for you. lol) because it's processed to look pretty in the case and stay fresh for longer in the back rooms) vs. grabbing a full turkey and cooking it up before work and carving it up for a lunch sandwich.:noway: :laugh:

How about a healthfood store, for weathly peeps you can get a pkg. of nitrate free, low sodium, very very taste big turkey slices (5-6 slices) for $6.99.:ohwell: (I admit I've done that but it does crimp the ole' budget, but oMG it's delicious)

The dilema of trying to eat healthy continues..
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    The only lunch meat I have is from the deli where they slice it right in front of you. I have no idea whether it's better for you but I'm doing okay and have been eating it for awhile now! :happy: This week I got the roasted chicken. It tastes just like a rotisserie chicken, yum!
    It is yum, especially the 'turkey or chicken off the bone' (that's what they call it) but when I had them look up the sodium for an oz. OMGGGGGGG! It was over half what is recommended for the day. So no bread but makes a great wrapt with spinach or lettuce, no cheese of course.

But I do get it sometimes, it's very very handy and not all of us have the resourses or time to cook up 20 chicken breasts to plan out the family meals each weekend.

So I raise my hand in confession, I do buy deli meat on occasion. But I do t try very very hard to walk quickly past the cases after seeing what actually the nutrion content in it from the nutition books they showed me there contain.:ohwell:

If buying chicken breast I only but skinless boneless, hormone free, cage free, blah blah blah and when smart chicken is on sale I grab that. Nothing beats the taste of smart chicken as far as store bought to me
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

That way you could trim down your heel or feed the neighbors cat as well as slicing thin deli meat? (Seinfeld:laugh: )
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Oh Matty, you're looking cuter everyday in your picture there!!!:wink::flowerforyou:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I eat lunchmeat almost everyday because it's easy for me. Yeah, it's a bit high in sodium, but I just make sure the rest of meals are low in sodium...

Oh! And, I haven't tried this yet, but to all who use lunchmeat, try finding a boar's head deli in your grocery store (they're normally in publix). They have very, very, very low sodium meats. Bit more expensive, but if you're that concerned, it should be worth it.