Zero Noodles!

Options
Is anyone eating these?? Do you know if they keep once you open the packet? There appears to be 2 100g servings per pack but they appear to be packed in some kind of liquid, so I was wondering if they all need to be used immediately. They are expensive so really wouldn't want to waste any!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is anyone eating these?? Do you know if they keep once you open the packet? There appears to be 2 100g servings per pack but they appear to be packed in some kind of liquid, so I was wondering if they all need to be used immediately. They are expensive so really wouldn't want to waste any!

Your best bet is to return them as they are disgusting. Sauce doesn't adhere to them very well and they are not a substitute for pasta
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

Your best bet is to return them as they are disgusting. Sauce doesn't adhere to them very well and they are not a substitute for pasta

Thanks for the constructive advice, LOL!! I am not holding out too much hope that I will be able to stomach them but you never know! Some people say they are ok. I am giving 5:2 IF a go and thought these may be a help
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Thanks for the constructive advice, LOL!! I am not holding out too much hope that I will be able to stomach them but you never know! Some people say they are ok. I am giving 5:2 IF a go and thought these may be a help

Some people hate their tastebuds and like to torture them by eating shirataki noodles and other abominations, don't be one of those people
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are talking about some form of shirataki noodles, which is what it sounds like. In which case I say, I eat them, and they decidedly ARE a substitute for pasta, they taste just fine to me. Smell a little fishy before they are rinsed and patted dry, but taste just fine.

I do find that the "spaghetti" noodles have a better texture than the elbows, fettuchini or other styles...

-BootJockey
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    OP, I've tried them. They're gross. It's not worth it.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I eat them and have found that you MUST rinse them for 5 min in cold water then put them in a non stick pan and pan fry them dry. They take on the flavor of any sauce that you put on them.

A good subsitute for pasta and I get mine at the local Sprouts store.
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    Make sure you rinse them well first!!! If some of them go down the drain you will be thankful for that after you taste them:laugh: butter or olive oil, lots of garlic powder and pepper. Good luck
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I LOVE shirataki noodles and often eat the whole package at once. That said, they need to be prepared. Drain & rinse them thoroughly under hot water for a few minutes in a strainer to get rid of that fishy smell. Then pat them dry. Throw them in a pan with oil or sauce and they will take on whatever flavor you give them.

40 calories for 8 oz. versus, what? 200 per oz of pasta? I can't even count that high.

P.S. I prefer the fettuccine style.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    Do a search on the boards, I am sure you will find your answers, best ways to cook/eat them and recipes for them.....also..they are horrid!
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them as the smell weird and taste bland.

Try spaghetti squash to substitute noodles. Great source of vitamins and a great way to get extra veggies in.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I've had them too. You do have to rince them before using, and I would recommend a strong sauce like Thai Peanut or Curry. Doing them in regular maranara just doesn't work.

I usually use them in a stir-fry.
  • Marquism123
    Marquism123 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've bought them now, so am at least going to give them a try!! Does anyone know the answer to my original question, ie do they keep once you have opened the packet or do you have to use them all at once?!
  • CaLaurie
    CaLaurie Posts: 178
    Options
    I tried them for the first time last night - didn't taste like anything except the chicken and veggies mixed in, but did I have a stomachache later! Won't do that again. :noway:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I read about them today in the newspaper, but soon as I read they have a `fishy` taste it put me off. It said they were 8 cals per packet.

Love fish but not fishy noodles yuk
  • FightTheFrump
    FightTheFrump Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are god awful! Try Thai Village This Rice Noodles instead. The box lists there are four 2 oz servings at 180 calories each but in all reality when the noodles are cooked, one quarter of the box is way too much for the average person to eat. I usually end up eating a single 1 oz serving at 90 calories. I should mention that I am not a dainty eater so I'm not exaggerating when I say one quarter of the box after preparation is too much.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I've bought them now, so am at least going to give them a try!! Does anyone know the answer to my original question, ie do they keep once you have opened the packet or do you have to use them all at once?!

Not for sure, but I would think any opened packet if resealed should not be used after 2 to 3 days.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    They're an abomination and should not be marketed as "food."
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Why .... umm... w... uh... why do they taste like fish??

Just eat smaller portions of real pasta, ok?
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I ate them once also and didn't care for them. They also gave me a horrible stomach ache that woke me up in the middle of the night. Some people swear by them though! I don't think you have to use the whole package at once although, it seems like you could just make the whole thing and cut your recipe into 2 servings (one for leftovers).
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think they're fine as well, but mine aren't exactly zero calories...more like 100kcal for a pack of 240g I think. I throw in tons of vegetables, chicken breast pieces and seasoning and I barely taste the noodles in my stir-fry.

There's nothing with leaving them in the fridge in the water that it's contained in. I portion mine out, in that I eat half a pack, and use the rest some other day during the week.