ANYONE lost weight Jogging?

Options

Replies

• picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50-60 lbs. of my 100+ lbs. from running. The last 23 lbs. I lost from watching every little bite that went into my mouth & running longer distances or pushing myself. Don't give up. The voice inside your head is a LIAR. YOU can do this! Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm training for a marathon right now.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    From February 2011 - August 2011, I went from 146 to 116lbs and from a size 12 to a size 4 jogging 3-5 times/week and eating sensibly. It is true that you will lose muscle mass if you do not fuel your body right. You have to make sure you're getting enough protein and healthy carbs. My energy increased a ton and by adding strength training to my routine, I not only "shrunk," but visibly toned up as well. :-)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Running/jogging is an excellent exercise to add to a healthy eating plan to lose weight. I've not lost a lot, but I'm working on it!
  • TidoWyla
    TidoWyla Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've been running since January 2012 and I run 3.1 miles 3 times per week, I've gone from 148lbs to 123lbs and a size 12 to a size 3/4 and 5/6 (depending on what brand). I absolutely LOVE running. I've committed myself to a 5K race each month since March. I have tons of friends who run and run the races as well, which is great motivation all in itself. I also do other strength, abs, and Cardio workouts 2 other days a week, but I give all my weight loss credit to running and eating right of course. I highly recommend it, you won't be dissapointed!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    move more, eat less, and eat better you will lose no matter the activity. pick something you enjoy, or something you're interested in and get at it. most of all remember that it's you who motivate you in the long run. that's gonna keep you on the right path.
  • bauhausfrau
    bauhausfrau Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about this recently. I also noticed that every time I needed to lose weight, for the first 2 or 3 months of running I seemed to stay exactly the same and then suddenly the fat just started melting off. The article I read stated that at first your body will burn the fat that is suffocating your internal organs and making their work more difficult. Once the dangerous internal fat is down to the right level you will start burning subcutaneous fat, the stuff you see on the outside. So, even though you don't see a change yet you are actually doing the most important thing you can do for your health. Keep it up and the cosmetic effects will follow eventually.
  • Bssh
    Bssh Posts: 123
    Options
    ahockenbrouch do you have a link to this article. Would love to read it.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I seem to be in the minority, but in the past, I've found it difficult to keep weight on when running. That said, I was running 50k/week, as well as cross training/muscle work. I also found that hard workouts killed my appetite.
  • melissanorth35
    melissanorth35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight training for a marathon. This is because if left unchecked, running makes me want to eat constantly. All i crave is pasta and heavy heavy meals. I know pleanty of marathon runners who are quite overweight.

However, I have luckily learned how to curb my hunger after runs and my body has adapted nicely.

I could not even begin to fathom trying to limit calories without exercise. Just today I ran and earned myself an extra 500 cal. If I do no exercise and only eat my allocated 1460 calories, I'm ready to chew my arm off. I now run for more food! I also find that it is quite easy for me to keep under my calorie goals on days that I run. For instance, I ran yesterday and earned an extra 700 cal. I was not even able to eat all of those calories back, too much food. So YES, running is a good tool, but it is not a miracle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Use your diet to control weight; exercise for fitness sake, regardless of what that exercise is.

If you use the MFP method you have a baked in deficit for your diet. That is for weight loss. Trying to out exercise a bad diet or calorie surplus is an exercise i futility. Even if you were eating maintenance, you'd have to run 35 miles per week (estimating 100 calories per mile) just to lose 1 Lb per week. For me, that would simply not be sustainable...not to mention, if you have any issues with injury, etc it's just going to set you back.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    My main exercise is running/walking/hiking. All very good calorie burn. I had lost almost 30 pounds last year with it, and gained about 20 back when I stopped. Seems important to me for a healthy lifestyle.
  • annielizstan
    annielizstan Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Exercise is important for health and wellness as well as for losing weight. Running, or jogging, is one of the simplest and most effective workouts for weight loss, as it involves the whole body and especially the large muscles of the legs. The great thing about jogging to lose weight is that a little bit of effort goes a long way, and you can easily build up to a steady exercise regime. It It is best jog to help your lose weight.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Not unless they're eating at a deficit as well.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years for fitness, it didn't really start affecting my weight until I was running upwards of 50 kilometres (30 miles) per week. Far easier just to eat less, especially if you don't like running.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Yeah, jogging + shoving less crap in my face.

yep. pretty much this.
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I lost weight through a calorie deficit. I do like jogging/running and it does help me get to that deficit, but so would any equivalent amount of exercise?
  • mandymariee
    Options
    Jogging 6 days a week and eating right... about 4-5 months... lost 80 lbs. ... and that is the only.exercise I did.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Anyone lost weight by jogging or running? How much did you lose and how long did it take you? Please motivate me, I feel like giving up =(

Only if you eat at a deficit too
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    IDK I lost like 60 pounds... Give it a try and motivate yourself.