question about expiration date

Options
There was some fully-cooked bacon on sale today...and only one left. So of course, I snatched it up. After I got home, I realized it expired on Feb 21st. It is already fully-cooked and refridgerated. Safe to eat? Or should I return it?

Replies

• wldrose75
    Options
    Its only 4 days past the date? Safe to eat. Its probably a "sell by" not an "eat by" date anyway. That stuff is probably still safe 2 months after the date.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks! I thought it might be okay especially since it isn't raw. I am happy now as that was going to be my breakfast tomorrow! :P
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Should be just fine. With the high sodium content, bacon will last for quite some time. That said, if you are nervous about it, take it back. The store should take it back since it was past date when you bought it.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I guess I was just a bit concerned because it is meat and I have not eaten meat in so long. I think this particular store needs to do a better job at CHECKING their expiration dates as I also had an expired soup for lunch today which I recently bought from there.....
  • arwenface
    Options
    When it comes to perishables like that (meat, dairy), the date listed on the package is not necessarily an expiration date, just a sell by date. Pop it in the freezer and it'll last forever.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of food expiration dates are based on taste/texture, not safety.

For the most part, any food is good to eat as long as it smells and tastes OK. (This obviously means properly-prepared food; not raw meat, etc).