I am losing almost 20 pounds in a month. is that normal?

Options
I just started on Feb 1st this year and I have lose 16 pounds. I think I am eating normal, never gets hungry. First 2 weeks just counting calories, last week I started to walk for an hour and 45 mins.

Am not eating rice, bread, nothing with sugar, fried foods.

Do you think I have to follow my calories intake goals (1800) or, may I continue eating less than 1600 calories per day?

Replies

• Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends on your wei ght, height, age, BF% etc. But seems a little low. Probably losing a combination of fat and muscle, So its not impossible to lose it that fast. But it depends on the body composition you want when you hit your goal weight.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal to lose a large amount of weight the first few weeks after a major diet change. It's mostly water weight, and will level out.

Eating under 1600 calories for a 31 year old male does seem very low, especially if that is your total intake and not your net. Your body needs fuel to function properly. If you are following MFP's method, aim to hit your target and eat back your exercise calories, as the program is set up.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Eat your calorie goal. If you eat considerably less you may sacrifice muscle instead of losing fat, which will lower your metabolism. 2 lbs per week is considered healthy, after the initial water weight that it's normal to lose at the beginning of weight loss. Do you know your BMR? You want to net that much.

If you just started low carb you will lose a lot of water weight at first, but if you eat carbs again it will come right back.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Eat at your calorie goal, and log and eat back your exercise calories. Eating at a large deficit is difficult to sustain (in me it lead to periods of binging), and can lead to loss of muscle mass. Slow and steady with a moderate deficit is the way to go.
  • alvarogarabito
    Options
    I just calculated my BMR. Its 37.5 OBESE :sad: I cannot imagine me with 185 pounds. I am not anxious, my personal goal is to lose 50 pounds but now it seems I need to keep losing to lose a total of 100.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my BMR. Its 37.5 OBESE :sad: I cannot imagine me with 185 pounds. I am not anxious, my personal goal is to lose 50 pounds but now it seems I need to keep losing to lose a total of 100.

That's your BMI. Your BMR is a different thing. Google BMR calculator and enter your stats.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I dunno if it's 'normal' but I'm so damn jealous! I'd be in heaven if I could lose like that.
    Well done
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I started on here 21 Jan and have lost 36 lbs! I'm a fat *kitten* right now though. I started at 342 lbs. It's been my personal experience, there more there is to lose, the faster the start, but it will taper off as you go along. I too started without doing anything physically different for the first week and a half, and that time period was my biggest weight loss. Now I'm working out pretty much everyday and the weight loss, though still there has decreased. Since I am trying to lose, I never eat back the calories I get credited with for exercising. As you go along, you'll figure what's going to work best for you.
  • shawnasis
    shawnasis Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also started on here Jan. 21st and hit 20 lbs lost today :happy: . My first week I lost 9 lbs but I had been eating terribly...all day, sweets, etc, so a change in diet makes a huge difference! I only weigh 173 now and am losing 2 lbs a week now so I assume it will take some time to hit my goal :grumble: . So while I'm not an expert I would guess that you will probably slow down in the losing department but as long as you keep up the good eating habits and working out you will succeed! :bigsmile:
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Go here, follow the instructions, make sure you are eating enough:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If I've learned anything on MyFitnessPal, its that men lose a CRAP TON OF WEIGHT faster than women. ~.~ Congrats ~.~
  • michellemarie3434
    michellemarie3434 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I've learned anything on MyFitnessPal, its that men lose a CRAP TON OF WEIGHT faster than women. ~.~ Congrats ~.~

THIS made me LOL....because, unfortunately for us girls...it is true!
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think in the beginning it happens loosing fast. I lost 30lbs in 3 months when I first started exercise and counting calories. Then I hit a wall for 6months then changed up my exercise and chose to eat clean not just count calories. I lost 20lbs in 6weeks.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would say normal at first. I lost 24lbs my first month just by counting calories...then the hard work started
  • mmk2988
    Options
    Stick to intake as per your BMR and have food whenever you feel hungry.
    That's enough. Don't go for crash diet.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    yeah, i think i lost like, 30 pounds in my first two months. hooray for being a guy!!!!!

but it levels off later, and surprise, even at goal weight you don't have the body you actually want.

if you aren't strength training yet, you should be.
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not starving yourself and you feel ok with what you eat --Continue doing what you are doing. High number are normal at first. the you have a lot to lose so 20 lbs is normal - it will slow down on its own soon. Meanwhile enjoy it! --your body will want more food soon. your body will tell you what it wants just listen to it BUT now when it wants to go back to the past...and it will <<that is when you should worry. Not now.
  • alvarogarabito
    Options
    Thanks all of you guys who wrote something, It does count for me. I started two weeks ago doing some walks, now I am running. Next month I will go to the gym maybe 2-3 times per week.
  • alvarogarabito
    Options
    MY BMR NOW IS 2376.7 WHEN I WAS 285 IT WAS 2532.45
  • alvarogarabito
    Options
    MY BMR NOW IS 2376.7 WHEN I WAS 285 IT WAS 2532.45